Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

I don't think very many women would be attracted to a man who flitted around like PeeWee Herman but I don't think it has to be carried to the other extreme when the man has to behave like some sort of gladiator warrier. Our culture has changed due to the types of occupations that men typically have which are often white collar jobs and I suppose that men might not appear to be as rugged as they did a century ago when hard manual labor was a common way to make a living. I have known quite a few guys that went overboard trying to appear manly and I thought they just looked stupid. I suppose women for the most part just want a guy who acts masculine and projects an image of being a capable person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
Manliness, like femininity (I suppose), like sexiness (as opposed to conventional beauty), is elusive. Some men have it, and some are just pretending, and it's hard for me to explain how I know the difference. Maybe it's pheromones of some sort, after all. I just dispute the association between physical fitness or appearance and manliness. I've met men who are scrawny and slight, but display great physical courage and intelligence. A man who can prevail in a fight is a turn-on, but not if he doesn't pick his battles. I like muscles, but they tell alone tell me nothing about a man's character.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
In the end I think "manliness" boils down to capability. It really doesn't matter what a guy looks like, so long as he can hold his own in the pack and sometimes come out on top.

The examples I cited earlier were based on "what she says versus to what she responds" BUT I say that with the caveat that people tend to speak and think in absolutes, at least in the short-term.

If women say "I don't like muscles" I've learned they typically are speaking of bodybuilders in contest shape rather than of muscular men as a whole. I know anytime I've spoken of bodybuilding to women who weren't part of gym culture they immediately decried oiled bodies of people who were stalking around a stage in microscopic trunks, bodyfat so low one can see the striations in their eyeballs, fake tan smeared all over themselves... They never take into account that nearly every guy who pursues some degree of bodybuilding isn't after that, merely after a certain degree of muscularity and a particular shape he'd like to have.

Such women have taken the image to one extreme, while the instant she makes the remark about muscles, people picture her automatically liking rope-thin, wiry guys (on whom one may, coincidentally, see the striations in their eyeballs).

It's also often in presentation. If a man of any size lifts a large rock while saying "har-har, lookit ME, y'all, I is STRONG" she sees him as a pathetic showoff; yet if the same man is quiet and then moves the same large rock she's been tugging on for two hours because it's in her way in the flowerbed, she sees him as rugged and manly.

It's not really a gender difference. Men are the same way.

Take some guy who insists boobs aren't important to him and watch him in a bar where some gal with hooters out to there and decollete down to her navel is prancing around, see if he isn't either sneaking peeks or staring blatantly. They may not be important, certainly won't be a deciding factor in a relationship but they're still mesmerizing sometimes.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
It was a way of life around here for many men and women. I am always first on the list to call when they need help. If you always have a sharp knife, 4x4 truck, are strong and know your way in and out of the woods you are a wanted man!LOL...... I'm more into the tactical side of things but I never forget my roots. My dad and I live to fish and are on the lake in my boat all summer long!
I am not a fan of hunting, but fishing????

Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
What other kind is worth having - in terms of manliness?

My husband is a hunter, bow and shotgun.

I don't like it that he's out there killing bambi, he knows I don't like it, but I would never try and stop him from doing something he loves and he would never acquiesce to my wishes on the subject.

I don't eat venison, but I will cook it for him when he brings it home - usually a nice stew.

Can't really stomach girly men - my more aggressive nature comes out and I get this intense urge to emasculate them.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM

160 posts, read 454,695 times
no....this woman likes the warrior type. A Warrior may sometimes look like it on the outside, but he is mostly a warrior on the inside. Not afraid to pursue a woman, not afraid to confront, not afraid of rejection. Most men now-a-days are petrified of rejection and act like wimps. They are afraid the woman will say no, so they never even ask. I've heard it first hand from several men, so I know I'm not just making this up. They say things like "well, she'd never go out with me, so why even try"? That is an incredibly wimpy statement. If he doesn't have the guts to ask the woman out, he won't be able to run a household successfully either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't think very many women would be attracted to a man who flitted around like PeeWee Herman but I don't think it has to be carried to the other extreme when the man has to behave like some sort of gladiator warrier. Our culture has changed due to the types of occupations that men typically have which are often white collar jobs and I suppose that men might not appear to be as rugged as they did a century ago when hard manual labor was a common way to make a living. I have known quite a few guys that went overboard trying to appear manly and I thought they just looked stupid. I suppose women for the most part just want a guy who acts masculine and projects an image of being a capable person.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:38 AM

219 posts, read 527,548 times
Wow, I'm probably the least manly guy here. I don't like watching sports AT ALL. I'm not competitive either. I've never hunted and I don't know much about cars--my last car ran out of oil or something and the engine melted. Now I take the metro. I have terrible hand-eye coordination and if you threw me a ball I probably wouldn't/couldn't catch it; actually, I'd probably duck to avoid being hit. I'm terrible with tools and gadgets and people say I lack "good common sense". As a kid my younger (but much bigger) sister used to beat me up (she later joined the army and became a medic--she's now training to fly helicopters). I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs, but whatever--I like it. I also cross-dress every now and then and you're far more likely to find me shopping for eyeliner or Greek yogurt than a sliding miter saw (yes, I had to look this up) and a slab of ribs. I collect sneakers and Legos and love doodling and making things with construction paper. Call me childish or girly. I'm fine with that--I'm a bit of a dreamer too. I don't chase women (yes, I'm straight) and I cuddle with a pillow at night. My legs are shaved and I shape my eyebrows. Practical is one of the last words you'd use to describe me. Someone here mentioned something about Pee Wee Herman and yes, I am kind of Pee Wee-esque minus the public masturbation.

However, I would have no problem picking up a weapon if attacked.

I pay my bills and rent on time.

I know how to get from point A to point B and if it's under 15 miles I can run there too.

I can cook my own meals, make my own bed, dress myself, get myself to work, and do my own laundry. I even know how to tie a tie and grill a steak.

I guess I'm just me and if women don't like that (and believe me, they usually don't) that's fine. I'm happy.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
no....this woman likes the warrior type. A Warrior may sometimes look like it on the outside, but he is mostly a warrior on the inside. Not afraid to pursue a woman, not afraid to confront, not afraid of rejection. Most men now-a-days are petrified of rejection and act like wimps. They are afraid the woman will say no, so they never even ask. I've heard it first hand from several men, so I know I'm not just making this up. They say things like "well, she'd never go out with me, so why even try"? That is an incredibly wimpy statement. If he doesn't have the guts to ask the woman out, he won't be able to run a household successfully either!

[/b]
I see one basic problem with your warrior type. If he is not afraid of rejection and indeed loves the pursuit of Women, then does getting you mean he will now give up the thrill of the hunt? As for equating not having the "guts" to ask a woman out with ability in a entirely separate discipline (running a sucessful household) seems a bit absolute. That is like saying a guy that runs a Bulldozer can not cook a delicious meal. Or a Fisherman can not be a CEO.

But you would never go out with me so I would never ask. Back to polishing the shield before the next battle. Its a biggy where the Nerds face the Wimps for control of Neverland.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
I always wonder why some decide "hunting is disgusting", thinking that hunting is some barbaric act against Bambi but then goes to the store to pick up a pack of steaks to put on the grill?

Ok some who frown on hunting may be vegitarians, but the majority who talk bad about hunting yet want a juicy red steak.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:31 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
girls around my age going for super skinny guys with long hair, skinny jeans, and pink t-shirts.

Hey now, not all guys who are thin and long hair are wussy feminized cross dressers like the one in the pic. Pink shirt though? no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships