Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times

Advertisements

Did anyone or someone you know end up with someone they've always known but didn't consider a relationship with?

I ran into a girl from college and when she told me who her husband was I was shocked because it was someone we've always known but they never showed a romantic interest in each other. So it was weird to hear they got married. She said she was always attracted to him but she knew he was a nice guy and didn't want to get involved with him until she matured. Five years later they run into each other and are married in 6 months. I thought it was a cute little love story.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 06:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Yes, my husband and I met as freshmen in high school. I liked him and we dated a couple times, but he changed schools after two years, and I started going out with another guy. He moved away and joined the army reserves. He called me from time to time, and I'd see him when he came home to visit his family. I dated the other guy (the boyfriend) for several years, but when we broke up, I called my old friend from high school. I always thought of him fondly, and he had told me to call him if I was ever single again. I found his parents' phone number in one of my yearbooks and tracked him down. He had moved back to California and was living about an hour from me. I called him, nervous because we hadn't spoken in a couple years, and ended up leaving him a voice mail that started with, "I don't know if you remember me ..." He called back and said, "Of course I remember you. I've loved you since we were 14." How could I not marry him?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
What a romantic story ! But a bit slow- moving , isn't he ?

Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times
awwww that's soo sweet!!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
Well, I dated this really sweet guy in college, but our lives were going in completely different directions (and countries). He was graduating a year ahead of me and moving to NY and I planned on moving to England when I graduated so we broke up because I didn't see us staying together through all that. We stayed friends over the next few and eventually, I realized I still had feelings for him and he still had feelings for me, so we started dating again and are now planning to get married.

Apparently I was the only person who didn't think we'd end up together because when I told my friends we'd reunited, I found out they had a betting pool on how long it would take for me to come to my senses and get back together with him. I'm glad we took that break though, because I needed to date a few less than perfect guys to see how wonderful he is. I don't take him for granted the way I did when we first started dating.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
LOL at the friends' betting pool thing. All's well that ends well, eh?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
Yeah, it's great to know that my friends were gambling with my love life. I am slightly curious to know if anyone had a bet for us not getting back together at all, but it would taint the friendship so it's probably best that I don't know. My best friend had us at two years, but I thwarted her by extending my visa in England for another year. If I hadn't done that, we probably would have gotten together earlier.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yes, my husband and I met as freshmen in high school. I liked him and we dated a couple times, but he changed schools after two years, and I started going out with another guy. He moved away and joined the army reserves. He called me from time to time, and I'd see him when he came home to visit his family. I dated the other guy (the boyfriend) for several years, but when we broke up, I called my old friend from high school. I always thought of him fondly, and he had told me to call him if I was ever single again. I found his parents' phone number in one of my yearbooks and tracked him down. He had moved back to California and was living about an hour from me. I called him, nervous because we hadn't spoken in a couple years, and ended up leaving him a voice mail that started with, "I don't know if you remember me ..." He called back and said, "Of course I remember you. I've loved you since we were 14." How could I not marry him?

That's a beautiful story!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I love this!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Yeah, he's pretty great. I'm going to go home and love on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships