Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 02:20 PM

22 posts, read 22,356 times

Advertisements

A little update after today...while I don't see a lot (and don't know for sure), I see more and more every day that 2 or 3 people in this group don't seem to like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:11 PM

Also I'm not shy a lot, it's just usually around these 2 people that hang out with my friends.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlucaell View Post
A little update after today...while I don't see a lot (and don't know for sure), I see more and more every day that 2 or 3 people in this group don't seem to like me.
Quote:
Also I'm not shy a lot, it's just usually around these 2 people that hang out with my friends.
This is something I'd never have been able to do as a 16-year-old, but it's true: screw 'em. I'm not saying that you be mean or anything, but just don't worry about them. You'll meet plenty of people in your life; some will love you, lots will like you, and there'll always be some who don't (even if it's for no apparent reason).

You can also think of it this way: that's 2-3 fewer people that you have to worry about impressing. Who cares if they think you're an idiot? I realize that this is a lot harder than it sounds, but your time and effort is much better spent focusing on the people you do connect with (especially if you're having family issues and additional stress) than worrying about those who just don't care about you. You can be civil, but overall just don't worry about them or let them bring you down.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times
Quote:
Nobody has to respect you. Just be confident in yourself and move on.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm also getting called out on and made fun of for being so quiet in class sometimes.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Quote:
I'm also getting called out on and made fun of for being so quiet in class sometimes.
Don't feel bad JR., they make fun of the big mouths too!LOL......... You need to force yourself to start up conversations and try to relate with them. If you can't relate with them, you need to run with some people who you do. You can't always be the life of the party but don't sit in the corner either.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong in being quiet.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 PM

OP, as stated before, I think you're issue is confidence.

It's unfortunate that your home life is not good, and yes this can have a drain on a person. But I think feeling down and out would detract from you seeking what you want.

OK, picture this. Say you met a person who initially seemed nice, and you got friendly, be he always seemed down and negative. Wouldn't it turn you off? It would for most people. That is not to pooh-pooh people's problems. No problem is nonsense, and no person has the authority to say what problem "matters" and which one does not.

However, our moods necessarily affect others. This is why it's important to be and appear content, since it draws people to us.

As for confidence, I would suggest the following:

- Identify your strengths
- Focus on your strengths
- Think positive and think you are worthwhile

Our feelings are derived from our thoughts. By thinking you're worthwhile, it would show in your feelings, which in turn would inspire your actions.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM

I was just made fun of by one of them today just adding.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:56 PM

50 posts, read 144,492 times
When I was in middle & high school, I was very shy and quiet. It's really hard. The best thing that helped me was getting a job at a fast-food place or any customer service job. It might not sound fun, but you're given the opportunity to work with many different people and talk to a TON of different personality-types. My personality changed 360 degrees. At a job, everyone expects you to make mistakes, so it isn't so scary when you do. You just learn from it and move on. You worry less about looking dumb because- trust me- you'll meet a lot of weirdos when you work!

Your personality change will make it easier to talk to people in school. Whenever you feel at a loss for words, ASK QUESTIONS! Ask the other person "How are you?" "Are you doing okay?" "Do you have the homework assignment?" People LOVE to talk about themselves and they'll love you if you seem like you're interested in what they have to say. In groups, I greet people with questions (Hi, how are you?) and then continually ask them questions about classes, school, family, sports, etc. The more you do this, the easier it will be to spark conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships