Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:34 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times

Advertisements

Need some help here guys.

First, I'd like a definition on Lordship Salvation.

Second, if you support it, give me your proof/scripture.

If you don't support it, give me your proof/scripture.

I do not have an opinion on this subject, as I'm not even sure what it is, at this point. Something happened today that I'm trying to understand and I'm thinking it may have been this subject.

I need input/information from those who are informed. No guessing please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
http://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordship_salvation

Here's two interesting sites that give some good info. on it. Interesting subject. It's a little confusing but I definately do believe that accepting Christ in one's life will bring a change in their actions and attitude. As the definition says a gradual purification from sin .

Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
http://www.gotquestions.org/lordship-salvation.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordship_salvation

Here's two interesting sites that give some good info. on it. Interesting subject. It's a little confusing but I definately do believe that accepting Christ in one's life will bring a change in their actions and attitude. As the definition says a gradual purification from sin .
The wikipedia explanation is a great one! I've learned something here today that I honestly had never heard before...Lordship Salvation. I hope we get some good comments/explanations from those who know more about the doctrine.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:33 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times
Here's a definition of what it is to get us started:

The Lordship Salvation proponents believe that the condition of eternal life is more than trusting in Christ. Added to simple faith are:

Knowledge of the Facts—Faith must be based on the content of the Word of God.

Assent to this Knowledge—A person must agree that the facts of Scripture are true.

Repentance—There must be a turning from sin and turning towards God.

Submission to Christ—There must be a subjection to the person and will of Christ with a desire and willingness to obey.(1)

Source: http://www.dtl.org/salvation/article...lordship-1.htm

I hope to get back to this thread to give Biblical support.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:10 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Good question Alpha, and so deep too.

I've always believed that you are saved by believing in Christ, that He went to the Cross for us and that He died - rose - and ascended to heaven.

But, I believe that once one becomes a Christian, it is a journey and one that will take some more quickly than others, I am a slow one.

I believe we are reborn again as children of God. He does say put off the old and be renewed. When we first are saved, there is so much to learn, and one of the things we find is we have to turn from the temptation of sin, and ask for forgiveness when we sin. This is something that takes conscience thought and practice at first, but as we mature in our faith, it just becomes a part of who we are.

At least this is what has happened to me and will continue as I grow in maturity of my faith.

Does this mean that I practice Lordship Salvation? I honestly do not know. I don't believe we have to do this to get saved and go to heaven.

But I believe that the desire to live as before leaves us and is replaced with a more spiritual and christ like desire on how we live and think and act.

Could this since it falls under works be part of the judgement we shall receive according to our works? From what I am trying to grasp lately, there are different levels of Christians, and there is the saying of 'he will have many crowns in heaven' and then we have our saints.

What is your take on this and what is your take on Lordship Salvation?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Jesus is Lord over ALL! How many of us can truly be honest and say to our Lord "you are my Master"? To me He has absolute rule. \0/

Old 05-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
What is your take on this and what is your take on Lordship Salvation?
Well, I'll have to read and catchup. Apparently this is a teaching that has been around for quite sometime. I think I know where I am at right now, but to be fair to the thread I don't want to comment until I read the links the posters provided above.

Thanks all so far. Keep posting!!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 PM

OK, kinda pooling all this information from all links provided and posts (thank you all), let me see if I can get some discussion on my take.

I guess my opinion at this point is that I do not agree with Lordship salvation. Which is interesting because I once got in a debate here on these forums with exactly this issue and apparently the other poster thought I was trying to speak FOR this theology.

Anyway, I guess my take, thus far and pending any other input from future posters, is that I believe the Lordship is the fruit of salvation but not a requirement FOR salvation.

Does that make sense?

What's your thoughts?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OK, kinda pooling all this information from all links provided and posts (thank you all), let me see if I can get some discussion on my take.

I guess my opinion at this point is that I do not agree with Lordship salvation. Which is interesting because I once got in a debate here on these forums with exactly this issue and apparently the other poster thought I was trying to speak FOR this theology.

Anyway, I guess my take, thus far and pending any other input from future posters, is that I believe the Lordship is the fruit of salvation but not a requirement FOR salvation.

Does that make sense?

What's your thoughts?

I would like to hear your thoughts on it Alpha because I lean towards "Lordship salvation," and quite honestly I would prefer I didn't! I'm serious about that. This is one argument I would like to lose! If you have beliefs against it, I'd like to hear them. This is an issue that for personal reasons has troubled me somewhat the last few years. I could give you some scriptures which I think support it but quite frankly, we just had a huge going-away party at our house for our music pastor and I am so tired I can't think that clearly right now!

Last edited by kaykay; 05-20-2007 at 10:01 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I would like to hear your thoughts on it Alpha because I lean towards "Lordship salvation," and quite honestly I would prefer I didn't! I'm serious about that. This is one argument I would like to lose! If you have beliefs against it, I'd like to hear them. This is an issue that for personal reasons has troubled me somewhat the last few years.
I imagine it would cause someone to be troubled, and hence this very thread.

Here's my thoughts though, since you asked.

I know the argument, indeed I seemingly argued for it in this forum some time back...I may try and dig those volleys out and send them to you for you to take a look at, in case I miss something here.

Without 'cheating' and assuming I know everything a proponant of this theology would throw out there, let me see if I can boil it down to a simple explanation of where I am.

In short, I can't save myself. Nothing I can do. Nothing I can say. Nothing I can....nothing! So, salvation at it's simplist form rest on the shoulders of our LORD(yeah, I said it) and Savior, Jesus Christ. So THAT and THAT alone is salvation.....

BUT/AND!!!!!!

After realizing and accepting the need of a Savior, quite clearly some changes are in order. So, you begin to repent from sin, which to really get that you have to understand the word for repentance doesn't necessarily mean you stop sinning, especially since no one I know ever has! But it means a 'change of mind', in other words, what you used to be OK with now you despise, even though you may do it.

Even Paul said
"I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it."
I bolded a phrase in this passage to highlight the point I'm making. If Lordship salvation were accurate, Paul's salvation would be questionable. Of course it isn't and something else that isn't questionable is Paul's repentance. Obviously, he's 'changed his mind' regarding sin in his life.

So where am I going and what am I saying?

I'm saying that we cannot attach anything man-made to salvation, it comes from God through Christ and Christ alone. BUT that salvation is 'proved out', if you will, by constant submission, repentance, and devotion to Christ, His teachings, and His way of thinking.

Lordship Salvation looks like this:
Christ+man's submission=Salvation
Alpha's Opinion looks like this:

Christ=Salvation and Salvation=Submission and Lordship.
Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality