Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:49 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
This is such a troubling thread for me to participate in, but I feel I have to in hopes of finding an answer. I keep coming up with questions. How do you tell a child who just witnessed the death of her whole family that God will see her through this? How do you tell parents that God provides what we need when their children are starving to death? How do you explain to someone who is dying of aids in Africa that God will heal their wounds? I couldn't in a million years explain God to them at this point in their lives. I could offer them my arms for comfort, I could weep with them and share their grief, I could offer them what food and water I have. I could offer to help bury their loved ones according to their customs. I could stay with the orphans or try to find a home for them..No, I could not tell them about God..I would have to show them Gods love through me. Actually this is what I try very hard to do all the time. I do wonder why God allows such terrible widespread tragedy..I know that we are responsible for these tragedies, I just can't grasp a reason why he allows it, because of his love for all his children
I appreciate all the responses this thread has got. I find this topic very interesting.
This is a beautiful post blue. I truly believe the best lesson someone can learn is through example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,674 times
Jesus said "I am the Way and The Light."

"Enter in at the strait gate, for wide is the path that leads to destruction, narrow is the path that lead to life." "Anyone that enter in any other way than through me is a liar, a thief". No one sees the father, but through the son." This means that you must be born again of the spirit.

Do as Jesus said (Luke)

Read the bible yourself starting with the new testament. It can also be obtained and listened to via mp3 and a mp3 player. (ie, media player, ipod, archos, etc).

Last edited by txnolimit; 10-24-2007 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,693 times
I think we should worry more about people in darfur keeping their arms, legs and children, before we start worrying about their immortal souls.

Once war and poverty have been stomped out, we can start fretting over salvation.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,674 times
This is not our home. Heaven is.

Man should not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God Jesus said (God said).

He also said that whoever loves this world and the things that be in it is not worthy of me.

Read your bible. Its great for the soul.

Last edited by txnolimit; 10-25-2007 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnolimit View Post

Man should not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God Jesus said (God said).

He also said that whoever loves this world and the things that be in it is not worthy of me.

This is our home, and all evidence indicates that this is the only life we will ever know. it should be treasured and protected. By writing off this existance as some sort of metaphysical waiting room, we cheapen human life - and destroy the only consciousness of which we know for certain we will possess.

You should love this world, and the *people* in it.

I've read the bible, many times. Interesting for a history lesson, but it doesn't help us to better the world around us.
If you are wrong, and this life is it - you will have squandered it dreaming for something that will never come.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:15 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
If a Christian was sent to darfur, I would hope the priority would be to help the sick, starving and suffering victims of the genocide thats going on there.
I love what Saint Francis said; ( I paraphrase )
preach the gospel of Christ, and if necessary use words

Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
I think we should worry more about people in darfur keeping their arms, legs and children, before we start worrying about their immortal souls.
There is a serious distortion by the world's media of what is happening in Dafur. They portary it as a racist genocide with Arab militias killing blacks. What the media steadfastly refuses to report is that the blacks being killed are Christians and the Arab militias are Moslem. Did you know that?

Old 03-21-2008, 07:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Muslims are basically brainwashed into believing that Jews and Christians are evil and don't even deserve to live.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of religions that teach their children that all other religions are evil. I was raised being taught that the pope was actually the antichrist, the Catholic church was evil, and that anyone who didn't convert to the religion that my parents belonged to was automatically going to hell, even if they were a very good person. Of course, I realized at a young age that this was total crap, but everyone else in my family believes it still.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
There is a serious distortion by the world's media of what is happening in Dafur. They portary it as a racist genocide with Arab militias killing blacks. What the media steadfastly refuses to report is that the blacks being killed are Christians and the Arab militias are Moslem. Did you know that?
Why does it matter if they're Christians or Muslims or Jews or Hindu or Buddhists or Taoist or pagans or whatever? Who the heck cares? They're PEOPLE. I don't care what they believe. I only care that they're being grossly mistreated.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:25 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnolimit View Post

Well except maybe for the Tibetian monks or cloister of nuns we are all damned.....as you would be hard pressed to find most people not having a love for something worldy..how could you not love some of the things of the world?? Nature, the animals I could go on & on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality