Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:29 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
You do not seem to understand, as Christians we must pray for you. You are lost, and worse yet blind to the fact you are lost. We are the fishers of men and when we can not bring you to see the glory of God on our own we must talk to God and ask for help in removing your blindness so that you may find your way again.

Asking us to not pray for you would be the same as us asking you to not breath, it is just not natural.

So, despite your desires, we will all continue to pray for you.

God Bless.
There are just no words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I don't go around asking folks if they are believers and then when finding out that they are, look at them with a shocked expression and ask them, "you seemed like a fairly intelligent person, how can you believe these 6th century B.C.E fairy tales.
Maybe you should. That might stop some people from being condescending, patronizing and rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
This is specifically about "praying for conversion" but I wonder about praying in general.

I remember I was reading something by Daniel Dennet when he was in the hospital and one of his friends said "I prayed for you", as in prayed for his health not conversion, and his response was basically "I forgive you for wasting your time with prayers for my health." I admit that's one I don't understand and if an atheist friend of mine said that I might either insult him or just walk out of the room. What I do with my time is my business and even if you feel it's stupid the intent, in this case, was actually kind. If someone told me "I offered millet to Vishnu for your continued good health" I might think "that's weird" but I might also think "oh how nice." I mean they're trying to be helpful in their way why lecture them?

Old 07-18-2010, 07:23 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,539 times
Well, you've made it abundantly clear. If you are not willing to repent all the prayers in the world will be wasted. No need to cast pearls before swine.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
If you are not willing to repent all the prayers in the world will be wasted.
What in the hell do I have to repent for? You see that is the very arrogance that I'm talking about. If I'm not willing to repent! For what? You are the folks who are constantly having to repent for you sinning ways so you assume that every is as culpable or inclined to transgress as you folks.

Quote:
No need to cast pearls before swine.
Matthew 7:6, yeah that works for me!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
Well, you've made it abundantly clear. If you are not willing to repent all the prayers in the world will be wasted. No need to cast pearls before swine.
Biblical insult? I think this particular saying's only purpose is to give Christians an excuse to call someone a pig, right?
Don't bother yourself wasting useless prayers on me either.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
sanspeur: I don't think you need to worry about him praying for you. He needn't cast any pearls before this 'swine' either. I can feel the Christian love.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:29 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
As christians represent their deity, one can interpret 'god bless' as a curse also, a mean spirited, hateful, vindictive, megalomaniac with an insatiable ego. To honor, worship such a deity, is an absurdity of logic and common sense.
God bless you is a good thing, I am not sure just what kind of "Christian" has used God's blessing as a curse upon you, but I'm pretty certain I would not consider them Christian if they had done so.

Quote:
As an Atheist, we are not the ones lost, we are not wandering around arguing even to the point of death, start wars, bombing schools, etc. about "which deity" is the right deity, we have found the right one, NONE.
I will have to disagree with you here, choosing none is just your way of saying "I don't understand what is going on, so I will just pretend nothing is going on."

Quote:
Your belief system is fear driven, fear of this god, and his vengeful ways, fear of the reality you, just like me are, really an insignificant life form living out our cycle, and that there was nothing before, nor after for us anyway.
Again, which church's have you been dealing with? My belief system is based purely on love, namely God's love for me and all of mankind. Why else would he sacrifice his Son in order to save my soul?

Quote:
Breathing is natural, a function you and every air breathing life form shares, the false belief of deities, religion, etc. are learned, and reinforced through repeated fear messages. Teaching little kids with no concept of death a prayer about "if I should die before I wake" is mental abuse of children, and certainly not natural.
This argument might hold weight except for one thing... my parents never took me to church. Despite this I have always known that there was a greater power that was in control and on my own search for information on who or what this power was. This is how I found my way to God, no brain washing, just a desire to find my maker.

Quote:
Finally, prayer is such a funny word for "wishing" Make a wish before blowing out the candles on a birthday cake, make a wish "star light, star bright, first star I see tonight........." and praying to a deity, dropping a coin in a 'wishing well', etc., well at least they are all equally effective and a waste of time.
I prayer, a true prayer is not a wish. You are correct in this regard, far to many people treat God as nothing more than a wishing well. Prayer is not a time for asking for gifts, prayer is the time you set aside every single day to talk with God, tell him your troubles, your joys, your concerns, your blessings. He already knows all of what is happening to you already, but God enjoys hearing from His children and the only way to do that is to pray to God.

Many Christians have lost their way in their faith, and this in turn has cause many people today to turn away from their God and choose to follow false gods or in your case no god at all. The Christian faith must return to the ways of Jesus Christ and live good and holy lives so non-believers will see the truth through our actions again.

And with this I bid you all good night, and ask that God brings blessings to all of your lives.

God Bless.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
why is it said that there was the great sacrafice of the only son when there was a supposed resurrection....therefore, nothing lost?
Seems more like a faked death for the sake of drama.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
God bless you is a good thing, I am not sure just what kind of "Christian" has used God's blessing as a curse upon you, but I'm pretty certain I would not consider them Christian if they had done so.
The true agenda of people that say this, I'm sure you are correct. I don't see the god they believe in as something I want the blessings of, but since god, gods, deities, tooth fairies, and leprechauns don't exist, it is not a worry.

Quote:
I will have to disagree with you here, choosing none is just your way of saying "I don't understand what is going on, so I will just pretend nothing is going on."
I understand fully, I attended a catholic school from K through 6, because academically it was a superb school. I heard the nonsense taught to Catholics in their class, while us non-catholics were taught bible study, and the Jewish kids went off to whatever they do. It made no sense then, and seemed an absurdity frequently, pillars of salt, global floods, etc. etc.

But moreover, I understand that I am not deluding myself into a fairy tale that doesn't exist. There is no reward for 'good' behavior, or eternal torture for 'bad' behavior once my life ends, it just ends. I live for the here and now, not wasting my time seeking what does not exist.

Quote:
Again, which church's have you been dealing with? My belief system is based purely on love, namely God's love for me and all of mankind. Why else would he sacrifice his Son in order to save my soul?
Here in the buckle of the bible belt is abounds all around, churches throwing members out for not voting for Bush in 04, burning versions of bibles they disagree with, street preachers screeching hate downtown, people expressing fear of hell, fear of the wrath of this spiteful deity, etc. etc. Hatred and fear are the mantra. Fear of those that are different, fear gays will destroy marriage.........

Quote:
This argument might hold weight except for one thing... my parents never took me to church. Despite this I have always known that there was a greater power that was in control and on my own search for information on who or what this power was. This is how I found my way to God, no brain washing, just a desire to find my maker.
Then you are likely an exception, but if not parents, peers, the cute girl that you were interested in and want you to go to church with her?

Quote:
I prayer, a true prayer is not a wish. You are correct in this regard, far to many people treat God as nothing more than a wishing well. Prayer is not a time for asking for gifts, prayer is the time you set aside every single day to talk with God, tell him your troubles, your joys, your concerns, your blessings. He already knows all of what is happening to you already, but God enjoys hearing from His children and the only way to do that is to pray to God.

Many Christians have lost their way in their faith, and this in turn has cause many people today to turn away from their God and choose to follow false gods or in your case no god at all. The Christian faith must return to the ways of Jesus Christ and live good and holy lives so non-believers will see the truth through our actions again.

And with this I bid you all good night, and ask that God brings blessings to all of your lives.

God Bless.
Try talking to your dog instead, they will at least look interested, and pay attention. And they actually exist.

Bumper sticker on my truck.

DOG IS LOVE

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
why is it said that there was the great sacrafice of the only son when there was a supposed resurrection....therefore, nothing lost?
Seems more like a faked death for the sake of drama.
Because . . . but for the barbarous evil of humankind at that time (sins of mankind) . . . He might have lived a long and beneficial (to us) life and still achieved the same end result (rebirth as Spirit). But BECAUSE OF our barbarous evil (for the sins of mankind) He had to suffer injustice, horrendous scourging, and crucifixion first. Not enough "sacrifice" for you, old_cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality