Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I personally would really like to know, from the religious and non-religious alike, why what someone else does in their own bedroom bothers them so much?? How does what another consenting adult couple engage in affect anyone else?? I have never been able understand this mentality...because what someone else does in their bedroom doesn't affect me in the least...so what actually is the big deal???

And let's please try to leave the frackin bible out of this for one moment and think about this logically and rationally.
I agree.....but if you go thru the entire thread I have been hit over the head with the Bible so often.....LOL...that I'm dizzy and doing unto others as they would do unto me .

The thread had nothing to really do about gay issues or the Bible.....per say. I too do NOT understand the dwelling on the bedroom issues.....I really/honestly could care less.....it does NOT affect me; nor is it any of my business. I use it because I warned other posters that I can also be mean and ruthless when necessary. IF you know me this is not my usual style; nor do I enjoy acting in this fashion.

So as you imply.....let us debate.....intelligently and openly....for I fear our species is doomed to self destruction; if we cannot find common ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
There is a wonderful book by Deepak Chopra, called "How to Know God." He discusses quantum phsysics and how we are "hard-wired" to seek a spiritual source. It seems that science is beginning to prove the existence of a universal higher power.

Perhaps diversity is a spiritual challenge or barometer, letting the individual know whether or not they're reaching the goals of tolerance, acceptance and loving one another. It looks as though some people aren't concentrating on their own souls because they're too busy judging and condemning others. Bummer.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 PM

430 posts, read 583,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Let's face it, whether you are religious or scientific, there are far more questions about life's origins than there have been answers provided in the holy books or scientific research.

And nothing is ever written in stone. The Big Bang is a theory that could be overturned by another scientific hypothesis. Creation is a story of a specific faith and can be overturned by a person's or society's acceptance of a different faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detmi7mile View Post
+1
The most succinct retort I've ever read! Thanks, detroiter (BTW, I hope you don't now or didn't ever live on or near "7 Mile"! From what I saw, it was a rough neighborhood, yes? Anyhow...).

The big BIG difference between religion and science is that the BB hypothesis does generate some predictable outcomes. You understand the idea: if this hypothesis IS in fact correct, certain results or outcomes should or may be measurable or observable. When we then look for these predicted outcomes, we don't just find one observed and verified outcome, but in fact, quite a few of them: light bending, the Hubble constant, and evolving universe, ancient light just now arriving here, and others.

This is then compared to religion's instant creation version, where none of the claimed results have ever been seen, or are variously contradicted in the bible's many versions and translations.

By comparison, science's variations come from it's ready acceptance of improvements or even complete revamps of any given hypothesis or theory. Generally these have been improvements or evolutions to the theory, not complete dismissals. While those do happen, it's less and less frequent now as the overall General Universal Theory is sharpened.

As for Christianity and it's defenders, their intense dislike of science's ongoing revelations and improvements, consorts to prevent their own personal education and advancement. I've seen them completely ignore compelling website links provided here. This does not bode well for them keeping up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That's right. Of course, we have to remember that 'The Big Bang' is a bit of an over -simplification just as 'Missing Link' is an over - simplification of evolution theory.
I agree, but I find such publications as Scientific American, or Astronomy magazine, to provide good technical articles with acceptably thorough technical discussions that don't bog my mind down. If the reader wants to chew through them, he or she generally can, and will come away with a new more educated outlook on the world around them! Perhaps that's not a desirable outcome for some? I'd hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
There is a wonderful book by Deepak Chopra, called "How to Know God." He discusses quantum phsysics and how we are "hard-wired" to seek a spiritual source. It seems that science is beginning to prove the existence of a universal higher power.
This is hardly what I've been reading in the popular scientific literature. Indeed, this suggestion may be the Christian way to admit, without really admitting, that the documented advances in credible knowledge through science and knowledge are growing by the day.

That many of the evangelical thresholds considered sacred and inviolate (like reproducing life in a test tube in a lab, or evolution proven by DNA, or alien life on other planets) are no longer safe, or have already been skewered.

But if I'm wrong, I'd love to see some non-Christian website links to the idea that science is proving the existence of a higher universal power.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 AM

Here is a terrible example of how one religion degrades and controls another "minority"....that is women. Read the link...I thought I knew a lot about "BURKAS"; but wearing these garments is really a nightmare. It restricts your breathing.....your vision......your body's ability to cool it's core body temperature etc......just another example of control and humiliation>>>>>

Burqa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Ban the burka

The second video is really well done and enlightening; as well as truly terrifying and thought provoking! AS well as heartbreaking!!!!!!!

YouTube - Burka

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-17-2010 at 05:45 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:

Perhaps diversity is a spiritual challenge or barometer, letting the individual know whether or not they're reaching the goals of tolerance, acceptance and loving one another. It looks as though some people aren't concentrating on their own souls because they're too busy judging and condemning others. Bummer.
I agree....there are way too many looking into everyone elses house instead of cleaning up their own....way too many worrying about what everyone else is doing insteady of what they are doing themselves.

Even Jesus said the same:

Matthew 7:2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Hey my friend.....I understand what you are saying; However while Science does not deny "God" in the sense that before the BIG BANG....or in the Multiverse...before the INITIAL Big Bang....I assure you that Quantum Mechanics does NOT imply that their is a "GOD" as you mean it. Because......as Albert Einstein said: "GOD does NOT play Dice"!!!!

Albert Einstein - Wikiquote . GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!

Old 08-17-2010, 04:37 PM

56 posts, read 94,636 times
All we need to know is that God created all and man has virtually ruined His glorious creation through sin.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:18 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Hey my friend.....I understand what you are saying; However while Science does not deny "God" in the sense that before the BIG BANG....or in the Multiverse...before the INITIAL Big Bang....I assure you that Quantum Mechanics does NOT imply that their is a "GOD" as you mean it. Because......as Albert Einstein said: "GOD does NOT play Dice"!!!!

Albert Einstein - Wikiquote . GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!

Not God as some old white man in a robe and sandals; more akin to Jungian thought. The idea that quantum physics allows us to "self-create"
scares Christians spitless. Deepak Chopra isn't Christian, nor am I. Just find the endless possibilities of quantum physics fascinating. I'm afraid that the book title can be misleading. (Hope you're well, BTW!)

Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Not God as some old white man in a robe and sandals; more akin to Jungian thought. The idea that quantum physics allows us to "self-create"
scares Christians spitless. Deepak Chopra isn't Christian, nor am I. Just find the endless possibilities of quantum physics fascinating. I'm afraid that the book title can be misleading. (Hope you're well, BTW!)
I see what you are saying now......I misunderstood your post and took it "too literally". Hope you are well...I'm just recovering from a bout of food poisoning...YUK.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree....there are way too many looking into everyone elses house instead of cleaning up their own....way too many worrying about what everyone else is doing insteady of what they are doing themselves.

Even Jesus said the same:

Matthew 7:2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?
I concur and loved the Matthew 7:2 verse......if we only would all abide by that verse and "lay off" one line in Livictus.

One of the TEN Commandments alludes to not coveting your neighbor's wife......to me that means adultery.....(which is rampant in our country, along with divorce).

I think some posters should be focusing on those TEN commandments, which I'm sure the majority of posters all agree with; and stop with the nit picking of a line here and there and then use that line to justify their hate/prejudice and violent proclivities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality