Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times

Advertisements

Below is an interesting link asking the same question? I too have often wondered why Black people were and are so gullible to embrace a religion which was imposed upon them by slavery.

Even today, it saddens me to see Christian Missionaries and Evangelists going into Africa recruiting black Africans to become Christians.

Is Christianity a White Man's Religion? - jswrite - RichardDawkins.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 01:53 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Below is an interesting link asking the same question? I too have often wondered why Black people were and are so gullible to embrace a religion which was imposed upon them by slavery.

Even today, it saddens me to see Christian Missionaries and Evangelists going into Africa recruiting black Africans to become Christians.

Is Christianity a White Man's Religion? - jswrite - RichardDawkins.net
As if there was no slavery in Africa before Christianity....

Old 08-15-2010, 02:23 PM

11,252 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Would you prefer that they all became Muslim instead? It's not like Islam isn't the fastest growing religion on the planet as it is. I would be more worried about the saturation of Sharia Law to another continent than some Christian missionaries evangelizing and setting up schools that promote literacy. I guarantee you that Muslims are not the least bit interested in educating the population that they are trying to convert, especially the females. A woman learning!.... HEAVENS NO!

Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Would you prefer that they all became Muslim instead? It's not like Islam isn't the fastest growing religion on the planet as it is. I would be more worried about the saturation of Sharia Law to another continent than some Christian missionaries evangelizing and setting up schools that promote literacy. I guarantee you that Muslims are not the least bit interested in educating the population that they are trying to convert, especially the females. A woman learning!.... HEAVENS NO!
I think his point was that he'd prefer that no one attempt to take advantage of, and proselytize people of other cultures.

Just because Islam and Christianity shares the dream of converting every non-believer on the planet doesn't make his point any less valid.

As a note, you should know that while I detest some anti-female sentiment within many male dominated civilizations (it's a man's world all over), you should know that in Iraq under Saddam, women made up more than 50% of those in university. Granted, Saddam was only a Muslim in figurative notions, the point still remains. Let's whoa on some of the rhetoric and anti-Muslim propaganda - some of their actions look indictable and bad enough that we don't need to create more. Besides, some of those same sentiments could be transferred to Christian viewpoints that see their women as escaping their kitchen and child-rearing duties. How many women priests and pastors are there?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I wish everyone would just leave the Africans alone. If they want to trade in their religions for others, they will. Malcolm X thought Christianity was "the white man's religion", but of course he had his own agenda.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I would think Christianity would have originally been the "brown" man's religion.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Would you prefer that they all became Muslim instead? !
No. I would prefer that African people and people of all other races worship the God or Gods which were originally a part of their continents. Prior to the introduction of Christianity to Africa, the African people had their own tribal religions. Just as in Asia, South America, etc., they practiced their own ancient religions prior to the introduction of the Roman Catholic Church or Christianity.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 PM

11,252 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Just because Islam and Christianity shares the dream of converting every non-believer on the planet doesn't make his point any less valid.

Besides, some of those same sentiments could be transferred to Christian viewpoints that see their women as escaping their kitchen and child-rearing duties. How many women priests and pastors are there?
Radical Islam thrives in lawless countries where the majority of the population is uneducated/illiterate. This is a recipe for disaster. Somalia is a perfect example. So, are only Christian mothers stay at home moms? I enjoyed not being a latchkey kid growing up. It kept me out of trouble and on the right path. There are no women priests because it is against Catholic church doctrine. As far as female pastors, while it is mostly a male profession, they do exist. I have been to several churches where a female led the congregation.

Quote:
No. I would prefer that African people and people of all other races worship the God or Gods which were originally a part of their continents. Prior to the introduction of Christianity to Africa, the African people had their own tribal religions. Just as in Asia, South America, etc., they practiced their own ancient religions prior to the introduction of the Roman Catholic Church or Christianity.
Nobody is forcing the religion upon them. Nothing is stopping them from sticking to their roots. Telling someone about Christ is simply the sharing of a belief. What they do with that knowledge is up to them. Many poor Africans are forced into Islamic beliefs because in lawless countries, Islam is not just a religion. It is also a political system and a haven of protection against warring factions. Many do not have a choice in the matter. Convert to Islam or face massive problems. I have no problem with them sticking with the religion of their ancestors. In many African nations, though, radical Islam is taking that right away through political oppression.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
As if there was no slavery in Africa before Christianity....
As if there was no Christianity in Africa before slavery.

There have been African Americans who convert to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Granted slaves in this country were almost never, or just never, Ethiopian but it's an attempt I guess to find something African and Christian.

Also many black Americans formed their own denominations. This was mostly due to segregation, but it did allow for a faith that maintained their own cultural outlooks more. A few even became Quaker in gratitude to people on the Underground Railroad who freed them.

Beyond Christianity you also have Voodoo and Santeria. Some blacks have embraced those as they descend from the polytheistic religions their slave ancestors likely held. (NOI propaganda aside relatively few slaves brought to the US were Muslim and those that were I think tended to be "Half-Muslim" meaning they had said "the profession of faith" but maintained many pre-Islamic religious customs)

Old 08-15-2010, 05:02 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
As if there was no Christianity in Africa before slavery.

There have been African Americans who convert to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. Granted slaves in this country were almost never, or just never, Ethiopian but it's an attempt I guess to find something African and Christian.

Also many black Americans formed their own denominations. This was mostly due to segregation, but it did allow for a faith that maintained their own cultural outlooks more. A few even became Quaker in gratitude to people on the Underground Railroad who freed them.

Beyond Christianity you also have Voodoo and Santeria. Some blacks have embraced those as they descend from the polytheistic religions their slave ancestors likely held. (NOI propaganda aside relatively few slaves brought to the US were Muslim and those that were I think tended to be "Half-Muslim" meaning they had said "the profession of faith" but maintained many pre-Islamic religious customs)
You don't know anything about Islam in Africa. Have you ever heard of the Mali empire? The Hausa states, the enpire of Ghana, the Songhai empire? All them were Muslim states before Christiantiy entered west Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality