Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,215,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
lol That is your answer?!!
Yes it is called an inconvenient truth. Just because you do not acknowledge it as a part of the commission does not negate that it was instructions of the same vein.

From the same chapter comes the dusting off of one's feet. IOW that means if no one is interested in your waffle, you should move on.

But I guess you think they had folk going out in 2x2 in suits and knocking on doors?

So you see why we do not respect you lot. Presented with evidence from your own babble we never get "Oh I never saw it that way" just another deflection to win some debating point followed by the insult of "Oh you are an atheist so I will give you a pass".

I was actually approached by my last pastor to become a biblical teacher to adults but I suppose his assessment of my biblical knowledge was off par too?

But I will forgive you, you are after all a catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Yes it is called an inconvenient truth. Just because you do not acknowledge it as a part of the commission does not negate that it was instructions of the same vein.

From the same chapter comes the dusting off of one's feet. IOW that means if no one is interested in your waffle, you should move on.

But I guess you think they had folk going out in 2x2 in suits and knocking on doors?

So you see why we do not respect you lot. Presented with evidence from your own babble we never get "Oh I never saw it that way" just another deflection to win some debating point followed by the insult of "Oh you are an atheist so I will give you a pass".

I was actually approached by my last pastor to become a biblical teacher to adults but I suppose his assessment of my biblical knowledge was off par too?

But I will forgive you, you are after all a catholic.
Yes, I am Catholic, so I know what I am talking about. And Luke 10:7 is not "The Great Commission." No Catholic source agrees with that.. Heck, I can't even find a protestant source that says Luke 10:7 is "The Great Commission"!! (Because it isn't.) I gave you the Scriptures speaking of "The Great Commission," they were even titled "The Great Commission"!! (I didn't add that title, it's in the Bible I got that from, and most other modern Bibles) (Your pastor has bad judgement when it comes to Biblical teachers.)

Quote:
but I suppose his assessment of my biblical knowledge was off par too?
Obviously.

That's ok, after all, you're an atheist, so I'll go ahead and give you yet another pass. But I am starting to run out.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, I am Catholic, so I know what I am talking about. And Luke 10:7 is not "The Great Commission.
The Seventy Sent Out

10 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also,[a] and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘The very dust of your city which clings to us[b] we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.’ 12 But[c] I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than for that city.
So the 72 were doing what exactly?

Last edited by SeekerSA; 05-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: Wrong version

Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
The Seventy Sent Out

10 After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also,[a] and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. 2 Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. 4 Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. 5 But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ 6 And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. 7 And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. 9 And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ 10 But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say, 11 ‘The very dust of your city which clings to us[b] we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.’ 12 But[c] I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than for that city.

So the 72 were doing what exactly?
This isn't "The Great Commission" that Jesus gave the Apostles and other followers (and by extension Christians today) after His resurrection. I can't find any source that equates this with "The Great Commission." That was told specifically to those 72. Read my posts. Read the verses I quoted. Context, context....

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
This isn't "The Great Commission" that Jesus gave the Apostles and other followers (and by extension Christians today) after His resurrection. I can't find any source that equates this with "The Great Commission." That was told specifically to those 72. Read my posts. Read the verses I quoted. Context, context....
So these 70 were just wandering through the countryside then and these instructions by your man-god were not to be taken seriously?

So I suppose when he actually appoints people to do the great commission with further explicit instructions they are to be ignored.

Seeing you are told what to believe or simply follow biblical headings, one can understand how you cannot see the wood for the forest.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
So these 70 were just wandering through the countryside then and these instructions by your man-god were not to be taken seriously?

So I suppose when he actually appoints people to do the great commission with further explicit instructions they are to be ignored.

Seeing you are told what to believe or simply follow biblical headings, one can understand how you cannot see the wood for the forest.
Try to understand, it is quite simple: That was not The Great Commission that Jesus gave His disciples after His resurrection. It was a commission, but not The Great one. That was simply the commissioning of the 72, as the title of that Chapter states.

I'm all out of passes.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Try to understand, it is quite simple: That was not The Great Commission that Jesus gave His disciples after His resurrection. It was a commission, but not The Great one. That was simply the commissioning of the 72, as the title of that Chapter states.

I'm all out of passes.
Yes it is simple when you know the bible. What was this sending out is not of the great commission. The rhetoric is more detailed here than the links you posed and few theologians would agree on your premise this was not the first commission or inclusive of the great commission as you like to frame it with headers. This is a problem for folk that remember headers and do not know the entire text.

Admit it you waz caught out but I was happy to teach you something, next time you will not look so silly.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yes it is simple when you know the bible. What was this sending out is not of the great commission. The rhetoric is more detailed here than the links you posed and few theologians would agree on your premise this was not the first commission or inclusive of the great commission as you like to frame it with headers. This is a problem for folk that remember headers and do not know the entire text.

Admit it you waz caught out but I was happy to teach you something, next time you will not look so silly.
You taught mne nothing. That was not The Great Commission. That was the sending out of the 72.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Anyone who can't see the gospel truth in what His Royal Holiness (praise his blessed appendage) proclaims has lost his or her noodles!

All praise and glory to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Sauce!

May you be abundantly blessed daily with marinara and a generous sprinkling of parmesan.

"RAAAAmen!"
Really? In 2012, people are still doing this?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Really? In 2012, people are still doing this?
Why not still do it? It's just as effective now as it was in 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality