Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would I do if I were irreligious and liberal?
Make fun of her until she leaves, or just throw her out 1 4.35%
Gently do all you can to make her realize she's wrong 5 21.74%
Be pleasant, but distant with her 5 21.74%
If she's a good person otherwise I wouldn't care 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
Where I am, you can pretty much assume that anyone you talk to is an anti-gay creationist (unless that person is flamboyantly gay; then you can just assume that that person is a creationist). I keep my distance from those who are open about views that I disagree with, but fortunately, I've never had roommates who were open about their religious/political views.
Yep, same here. Of the people I know here, the people that are not antigay or Creationist can be counted on one hand and all happen to be transplants from other parts of the country.

I live with my wife and another roommate, both of whom are gay and atheist, and while I could live with someone that was antigay and religious, it's nice to be able to come home and just be open about myself without the risk of offending others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
For a version for the irreligious.

You only know because when Prop 8 passed she said "It's a victory for people like me, but I do know your side means well." On evolution you only know because while watching something on dinosaurs she said "The Bible shows the world can't be that old, but eh it's just TV I guess." Otherwise she doesn't talk about her views and does all the things a room-mate should do plus is friendly and tolerant. (She doesn't believe in same-sex marriage, but is never unkind to gays she sees or that you know)
I probably wouldn't make the mistake of having someone like that as a roommate in the first place.
In any case, if I was unfortunate enough to have a bigoted roommate, I'd quickly move out.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Why does anyone have to enforce their personal beliefs onto anyone else?

I doubt if your going to change the point of view held by a christian, nor is the christian going to change your views.

I see no reason why you can't be roommates.

By polite and nice.
It's very easy to say that when people are not putting your freedoms up to a vote.
No one is putting up the freedom of heterosexuals to marry up to a vote.

The list can go on.

Privileged people hardly ever recognize their privilege.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:07 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It's very easy to say that when people are not putting your freedoms up to a vote.
No one is putting up the freedom of heterosexuals to marry up to a vote.

The list can go on.

Privileged people hardly ever recognize their privilege.
You feel that you can not have a room mate because homosexuals can not get married in every state?

Try this:
I want to store paper and pens in the same drawer together, but I can't do it because scissors are made of metal?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I'd be nice but somewhat distant with them, simply to avoid any hostility that may occur. It's been my experience that people of this mindset usually have no problem sharing their beliefs with anybody who didn't ask for them, plus they're usually jumping at the chance to be offended when someone doesn't see things as they do.
Yeah her being generally reticent is maybe unrealistic, well if she's a younger woman.

I know older women who are uncomfortable with same-sex marriage, and are Creationist, but may rarely or never discuss that with friends. I think it's pretty common for people over 60, even if they're not that religious, to be uncomfortable with same-sex marriage. I mean in the 1950s the gay magazine "One" discussed Same-sex marriage and a fair percent of the gays who wrote in were against the idea even in theory. Creationism then and now was more specifically religious, but I think in some cases it could just mean the person is rural and maybe not real educated. (I'm not a Creationist myself, at least not in the conventional sense)

Still I was thinking few here would have an elder woman as roommate. Some of the responses so far have been enlightening. (Although for the record "pleasant but distant" might be where I'd fit too, I'd have to think about it. At least I understand it)

Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
You feel that you can not have a room mate because homosexuals can not get married in every state?

Try this:
I want to store paper and pens in the same drawer together, but I can't do it because scissors are made of metal?

I'm saying I cannot be roomates with an BLANK hole who would vote to restrict my freedom to marry any person of my choosing.

Even if they didn't vote, it's just the fact that they feel I should only be allowed to marry a man and that gays and lesbians should not be allowed to marry their partners.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:41 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
You insist that for someone to be your 'blank hole' room-mate they must vote for homosexual marriage?

Okay fine.

Most of us have the privilege of voting and we are not obliged to tell anyone how we vote.

I find it odd that we have so much discussion about homosexual marriage while we still have Federal laws which make homosexual sodomy a felony. To me it would make more sense to protest those felony laws and get them reversed, before pursuing marriage.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I have a roommate, but we have separate rooms, so it's NOT shacking up. In fact, she has a boyfriend already.

Our beliefs, or lack of them, don't have an impact on us being room mates, because we don't talk about those kind of things, and it doesn't have any effect on the other person.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

I'm saying I cannot be roomates with an BLANK hole who would vote to restrict my freedom to marry any person of my choosing.

Even if they didn't vote, it's just the fact that they feel I should only be allowed to marry a man and that gays and lesbians should not be allowed to marry their partners.
I thought about this and I can understand this. While I am very passionate about same sex marriage (it should be legal!!!), I have been roommates with people who were against this. Although many of my friends are gay, I am not gay. So in a way - it doesn't affect me directly - although I feel like it affects all of us in a way. But I am half Japanese and half Jewish. Could I be roommates with someone that hated Jews or Japanese people? Probably not. Then again - they probably wouldn't want to be roommates with me - so it probably wouldn't even be an issue!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
You insist that for someone to be your 'blank hole' room-mate they must vote for homosexual marriage?

Okay fine.

Most of us have the privilege of voting and we are not obliged to tell anyone how we vote.

I find it odd that we have so much discussion about homosexual marriage while we still have Federal laws which make homosexual sodomy a felony. To me it would make more sense to protest those felony laws and get them reversed, before pursuing marriage.
I'm pretty sure Lawrence v. Texas ended all the laws against consensual homosexual sodomy.

I guess if someone said, as the person you respond to says, that people have no right to vote on same-sex marriage I couldn't live with them. I'd have to think about it, but the "My romantic needs must be treated preferentially above any other discriminated group in the history of America" opinion would be a bit much for me to take. And to an extent that is what it says because.

Women's suffrage? Amendment was voted on.

Americans with Disability Act was voted on by the Congress.

Civil Rights Acts? Voted on by Congress.

Ending of the poll tax? A Constitutional Amendment, so voting.

Loving v. Virginia was not voted on, but by that time almost two-thirds of the states had legalized interracial marriage. Granted often by state court decisions, but still it was just finalizing a trend and asserting the rights almost inherit in existing Amendments.

Brown v Board might be close, but Brown was often not fully enforced before voting.

Now if the person told me "a simple majority vote of the people should not decide this issue" I might agree to that. I could see this being an issue where, as with Constitutional Amendments, there needs to be a super-majority. Still the idea that "people can't vote on rights" is ahistorical and ridiculous. Although maybe I could tolerate it if the person is like my imaginary Creationist. They say it once or twice, but otherwise never bring it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality