Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,037 times

Advertisements

I found a website that offers an interactive game called 'Battleground God'. The aim of the game is to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophersnet
The aim of the activity is not to judge whether these answers are correct or not. Our battleground is that of rational consistency. This means to get across without taking any hits, you’ll need to answer in a way which is rationally consistent. What this means is you need to avoid choosing answers which contradict each other. If you answer in a way which is rationally consistent but which has strange or unpalatable implications, you’ll be forced to bite a bullet.
The game is interesting and revealed a few apparent contradictions of my own. One of the contradictions is that I hold the idea of god to higher standards of evidence than I hold evolution. I justify this apparent contradiction by saying that supernatural explanations must be held to higher standards of evidence as they are so unlikely. There are several other games at the site and I took a few of them on morality. So far, all the games have been very revealing and forced me to really think about my positions.

If any of you try out these games, I would be interested to hear and discuss your results.

Games and Interactive Activities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia160 View Post
I found a website that offers an interactive game called 'Battleground God'. The aim of the game is to:

The game is interesting and revealed a few apparent contradictions of my own. One of the contradictions is that I hold the idea of god to higher standards of evidence than I hold evolution. I justify this apparent contradiction by saying that supernatural explanations must be held to higher standards of evidence as they are so unlikely. There are several other games at the site and I took a few of them on morality. So far, all the games have been very revealing and forced me to really think about my positions.

If any of you try out these games, I would be interested to hear and discuss your results.

Games and Interactive Activities
Nice link.

I think it's appropriate because christians adopt extremely contradictory positions.

The very same rationale christians use to justify their beliefs in their bible and god can be used to justify the Qu'ran, the Book of Mormon and numbers other works, such as the Baghravad Purana and Baghravad Gita, and in fact all works.

The very same rationale christians use to demean and debase other religions and their works apply to their own religion as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM

33,545 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
You may have just taken a direct hit!

You stated earlier that evolutionary theory is essentially true. However, you have now claimed that it is foolish to believe in God without certain, irrevocable proof that she exists. The problem is that there is no certain proof that evolutionary theory is true - even though there is overwhelming evidence that it is true. So it seems that you require certain, irrevocable proof for God's existence, but accept evolutionary theory without certain proof. So you've got a choice:

Bite a bullet and claim that a higher standard of proof is required for belief in God than for belief in evolution.

Take a hit, conceding that there is a contradiction in your responses.
This in my opinion is bogus...I believe that there is irrefutable proof of evolution...

Interesting game though...I took one hit, and bit one bullet.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,817 times
"1. What are you going on about the Loch Ness monster for, surely you're just confused?

The Loch Ness Monster/atheism comparison has to do with the oft heard claim of theists that atheism must be a faith because there isn't any evidence or compelling argument for the non-existence of God. It's the "you can't prove God doesn't exist, so believing that God doesn't is not rational" argument."

Is it reasonable to believe in the existence of the Loch Ness monster? If so, how?

Is it reasonable to believe that God does not exist?

If your answer is that it is unreasonable to believe that God exists, are you willing to make the case in a one on one discussion?

Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Cool website! I took a bunch of the quizzes. My results weren't always what I thought they would be!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
I bit one bullet, and I call BS on the question, which found conflict that I believe in evolution but not the existence of god. There is a lot of evidence for evolution, and zero for god, yet it assumes there is zero for both.............. and that ladies and gentlemen is pure BS

Congratulations!
You have been awarded the TPM medal of distinction! This is our second highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.
The fact that you progressed through this activity without being hit and biting only one bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and well thought out.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times
There are some grammar and logic errors in the statements of that game.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There is a lot of evidence for evolution, and zero for god, yet it assumes there is zero for both.............. and that ladies and gentlemen is pure BS
I haven't played it yet, but it looks like their rationale is a total fail from what you have said.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This in my opinion is bogus...I believe that there is irrefutable proof of evolution...

Interesting game though...I took one hit, and bit one bullet.
I took this before reading your post. I bit the bullet here, for the very same reason. There is absolute zero supporting the existence of any god, and boat loads (and growing) supporting evolution.

The deck has been stacked

Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Congratulations!
You have been awarded the TPM medal of distinction! This is our second highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.
The fact that you progressed through this activity without being hit and biting only one bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and well thought out.
That's the same result I managed. An interesting game. I'm going to try intentionally answering differently to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality