Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I just heard reciently that evidence of the ark had just been found , any thoughts ?
None that are on-topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,678,748 times
Quote:
I just heard reciently that evidence of the ark had just been found , any thoughts ?
hahahahaha, been hashed over, another fake.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM

63,885 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Sometimes the right answer will render the question irrelevant. But that doesn't excuse replacing the right answer with a wrong one.
That is true only if you have proved the replacement IS a wrong answer. It cannot be presumed to be.
Quote:
And that seems to be what you are arguing here. Your primary argument against subjective morality is that it makes the morality question irrelevant. But that is a classic example of an Argument From Adverse Consequence, and it is not valid evidence against the argument.
You continue to reveal your ignorance of fallacies and their application. I have not and make no claim of adverse consequence . . . simply pointlessness (neither good or bad) . . . IF there is no objective moral truth to be discovered subjectively. The exercise becomes irrelevant by the dominant animals' assertion of their "morality." In short . . under pure subjectivity . . . there is nothing to discover and no point in trying.
Quote:
For the sake of argument, even if I agreed with your above post, that would not be a logical argument against relativism or subjectivism, nor would it support objective morality. It's only effect is to prejudice the thought process, to make people want to find an answer that is not there.
No . . . it is to force you to establish that there is no objective moral truth . . . not presume it . . . because the search engine is subjective. You do not do that with anything else in science.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-18-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,867,480 times
Quote:

Another bogus claim?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It cannot be presumed to be. You continue to reveal your ignorance of fallacies and their application. I have not and make no claim of adverse consequence . . . simply pointlessness (neither good or bad) . . . IF there is no objective moral truth to be discovered subjectively. The exercise becomes irrelevant by the dominant animals' assertion of their "morality." In short . . under pure subjectivity . . . there is nothing to discover and no point in trying.
But that in no way refutes the logic that there is no objective moral truth. It only shows that you don't happen to like the consequence of their being no objective moral truth.

Which is a thinly disguised argument of adverse consequences. Otherwise, why post it? It does nothing to prove or disprove the issue, it only alleges consequences.

Quote:
No . . . it is to force you to establish that there is no objective moral truth . . . not presume it . . . because the search engine is subjective. You do not do that with anything else in science.
That was already done, but only in the context of specific arguments made by tigetmax24. The presumption is only applicable against tigetmax's world view, and I'm not arguing here that it is universal. In other words, if you make the arguments tigetmax has made, then we can not presume an objective moral truth. (You will have to go back and read the post to see how we got to that point.)

Old 09-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
But that in no way refutes the logic that there is no objective moral truth.
Quote:
Mystic:
Quote:
Boxcar:
That was already done, but only in the context of specific arguments made by tigetmax24. The presumption is only applicable against tigetmax's world view, and I'm not arguing here that it is universal. In other words, if you make the arguments tigetmax has made, then we can not presume an objective moral truth. (You will have to go back and read the post to see how we got to that point.)
There is no logic that can establish that there is no objective moral truth . . . only that we have not found any yet. Like anything else in science . . . the fact that everything we do is subjective (unavoidably) does NOT preclude finding sufficiently objective truths. Truths cannot be presumed not to exist just because we are subjective seekers of it. There is no basis in logic for you to assert that there is no objective moral truth on the basis of human subjectivity . . . since it is unavoidable in ANY of our investigations.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
There is no logic that can establish that there is no objective moral truth . . . only that we have not found any yet. Like anything else in science . . . the fact that everything we do is subjective (unavoidably) does NOT preclude finding sufficiently objective truths. Truths cannot be presumed not to exist just because we are subjective seekers of it. There is no basis in logic for you to assert that there is no objective moral truth on the basis of human subjectivity . . . since it is unavoidable in ANY of our investigations.
To save time, I will only tell you this Mystic:

In this thread I am demonstrating Tiget's belief system is incoherent. Accordingly. I have adopted some of his premises for the sake of argument.

You have jumped in the argument mid-stream, so some of it might not make sense to you. You will have to go back and carefully read what has been written before to understand why certain presumption were made. But it may not be worth your time because an argument that refutes tiget's world view may not refute yours. This is especially true given that I am arguing from premises I don't even believe in, and I have only adopted for argument because they are a natural consequence of Tiget's beliefs.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
To save time, I will only tell you this Mystic:

In this thread I am demonstrating Tiget's belief system is incoherent. Accordingly. I have adopted some of his premises for the sake of argument.

You have jumped in the argument mid-stream, so some of it might not make sense to you. You will have to go back and carefully read what has been written before to understand why certain presumption were made. But it may not be worth your time because an argument that refutes tiget's world view may not refute yours. This is especially true given that I am arguing from premises I don't even believe in, and I have only adopted for argument because they are a natural consequence of Tiget's beliefs.
Ah . . . mea culpa. . . continue.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,625,549 times
Quote:
Your argument (and belief system) rest on a well known logical fallacy.
Other than laying out the absurdity of moral relativity, what "argument" have I offered? As for my "belief" system, how can you offer an enlightened assessment of something that you are completely ignorant about?

Quote:
The bible reveals that God cannot lie.
True statement that I proudly affirm.

Quote:
We know the bible is accurate because it is the word of God.
This is total fabrication. I never ever asserted any such thing.

Quote:
We know the word of God is accurate because the bible reveals God cannot lie.
Ditto...pure fabrication.

Quote:
Isn't it obvious how blatantly circular your reasoning is?

Round-n-round we go.
The only thing "obvious" and "blatant" here is your total lack of honesty. I always thought that Marine's actually valued things like honesty and integrity. I'm both saddened and disappointed.

Quote:
You have no basis to believe that God is good, and your only response to that is "what reason do I have to believe God is evil?". But of course, the fact that you lack evidence to believe he is evil is not an argument that God is good. It simply means you don't know.
You're the one repeatedly asserting that it's somehow logical to presume that the God of the Bible could be evil. I, quite reasonably, ask you to explain and you refuse to have the conversation. Then, you turn around in a post such as this one, and try to hit me over the head with it. Complete nonsense.

Quote:
There's no logical basis for your claim God is good simply because you have no evidence that he is either good or evil.
My simple assertion has been that the Bible asserts that God is good. You apparently disagree. I ask why you disagree, and you refuse to have the conversation.

Quote:
And please re-state your assessment of objective vs. relative morality if you want me to respond. I'm not sure exactly what it is you want me to respond to.
Lame.

Post #128 point #5.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 PM

I'm not sure why your tone has turned so hostile.

If you want to continue this conversation with me you will have to stop adding editorial comments about me personally and address only our arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality