Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Oh geez, give the old woman a break! She walked among the poorest of the poor and from what I've seen she did so with a pure heart. How much time have you and I spent in 3rd world ghettos? It seem to me you are offended by her Catholic beliefs regarding contraception and abortion and want to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.
Exactly what I was going to say.......

Btw, her actions were soley motivated out of christian response/charity. I know there was an account of a media person who she corrected saying she is not a social worker. And, when referring to her efforts, the journalist said the problems were so big, that she doubed Mother Theresa could really make a differnce. Her response was "God doesn't ask me to be successful....just faithful."

She said it was not her doing this work, but she was merely "a pencil in God' hand."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
This may sting - Mother Teresa was really a devout and pious hypocrite who more frequently licked the feet of the wealthy and right-wing reactionaries like a Keating or a Duvalier than cleansed the feet of the poor. How is it that a woman who had vowed to freely serve and help the "poorest of the poor" was so adamantly opposed to contraception? In India, with nearly a billion people, and 17 million more each year, wouldn't the right thing to do have been to help control the birth of so many unwanted children?

Her facilities for the dying offered no substantive medical help, just some nun in a sari posted by the bed to obtain confession and effect conversion while holding the hand of the near dead. Of course when the good Mother got ill she found succor in the best medical institutes in the world.

When receiving her nobel prize (which was a joke) she said "the greatest threat to humanity is abortion". You must see the idiocy of this comment.

John Paul - I'd agree with MG that he had much a positive influence during Raegan and Thatchers rain, but preached dangerous and harming rhetoric about abortion, homosexuality, and contraception.
Actually, the idiocy that stand out are these comments.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:14 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Thank you for your intellectual observations.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
Paul Anderson(the mightiest minister)the strongest man in the world took the gift that God gave him and evangelized to thousands and thousands of people throughout the world.He would show his feats of strength which drew people in and preached to them. He was a one man show.He had 300-500 speaking engagements per year.
Paul along with his wife Glenda, started(1961) a youth home for wayward and homeless boys.The money he made from his speaking engagements,70% of the proceeds went back into the youth home.He helped a lot of boys get back on the straight and narrow with about a 90% success rate.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
How exactly are they idiotic?? I think he made some valid & good points, as much as they might sting... I believe Mother Teresa did some wonderful things in her life, but I also can't argue with the REALITY ian pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality