Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM

366 posts, read 540,542 times

Advertisements

Ok, here's a basic stab at an argument for why we cannot be free if God is omniscient (I'm taking this from Cheguevara):

(1) IF the God is omniscient, THEN we cannot choose to do something that god doesn't know we will choose to do.

(2) God is omniscient.

(3) Hence, we cannot choose to do something that god doesn't know we will choose to do.

What does everyone think about this argument? As it stands, more clarification is needed to show that a free choice CANNOT be known beforehand. That is, it needs to be demonstrated that the freedom of an action, and knowledge of that action, are incompatible, so that ANY action foreknown is (by definition) one that cannot be free. But I don't see how this can be demonstrated.

That's the challenge, as I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 AM

116 posts, read 282,680 times
If a god knows the future with infallible certainty, then what this god knows will happen - there is no possibility for anything else to occur.

At the end of the corridor are two identical doors. Does god know which door you will take? If he does, is it at all possible for you to take the other door? You have no choice in the matter, you have no free will.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:16 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheguevara View Post
If a god knows the future with infallible certainty, then what this god knows will happen - there is no possibility for anything else to occur.

At the end of the corridor are two identical doors. Does god know which door you will take? If he does, is it at all possible for you to take the other door? You have no choice in the matter, you have no free will.
No, you have the choice of choosing the other door, it's just that it's already known what door you will choose anyway. Regardless, your actions are already known.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
No, you have the choice of choosing the other door, it's just that it's already known what door you will choose anyway. Regardless, your actions are already known.
If the actions are already known to the omniscient being...can we change them?

Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,095 times
Quote:
If the actions are already known to the omniscient being...can we change them?
the thing is we wouldn't....
but anyways
what if...
we are individual incarnations of "god"....and we've prewritten our own destinies

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
This was taken from another thread and deleted because it was OT.
Quote:
If the Christian god is omniscient then free-will is an illusion in that no choices other than the ones that are known to the said god are available to you.
So following this line of reasoning, if I overheard you and others planning to do a good deed for someone, and so knew about it beforehand, I would take full credit for the good deed once it happened and would say that since I knew about it you had no choice but to do it... (I'm talking from a human standpoint.)

Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
This was taken from another thread and deleted because it was OT.

So following this line of reasoning, if I overheard you and others planning to do a good deed for someone, and so knew about it beforehand, I would take full credit for the good deed once it happened and would say that since I knew about it you had no choice but to do it... (I'm talking from a human standpoint.)
No, because from a human standpoint you are not omniscient! Hearing us plan something does not mean that the plan has to be carried out. Omniscience is the key word here. Hearing of our plan would not make you omniscient and we could change that plan and prove you wrong. Such can't be done with the omniscient deity because it knows that the plan will be carried out and it can't be shown to be wrong.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
No, because from a human standpoint you are not omniscient!
Omniscience or not makes absolutely no difference in the fact that foreknowledge has no impact on our choices!!
Quote:
Hearing us plan something does not mean that the plan has to be carried out.
Exactly... it's your choice if it's carried out or not.
Quote:
Omniscience is the key word here. Hearing of our plan would not make you omniscient and we could change that plan and prove you wrong.
But if you didn't change the plan? Would I now be able to say that you couldn't have changed because I knew it?
Quote:
Such can't be done with the omniscient deity because it knows that the plan will be carried out and it can't be shown to be wrong.
This is like saying that when I drive my car, it arrives at my known destination because of my thoughts alone.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,450,929 times
Who says that God knows the future with infallibility? Do we have proof of that? Or perhaps God has a plan for humanity but whether that plan gets fullfilled and when depends on how willing we are to work with God. I am sure God could do what he wanted and move us like puppets if He wanted, but then what would be our porpuse here if we were just puppets?

Last edited by hutch5; 11-13-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake

Old 11-13-2007, 09:37 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,095 times
what if everything is like a multiple choice question...that make free will an illusion..in that we can choose...but the one who makes the question picks which ways you can go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality