Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Actually, as I understand it, intersexuality is now considered within the bounds of 'normal' for humans, even though it's not particularly common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Is the definition of "normal" based on the numerical value?
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
It is generally based upon or along a "continuum" of human behavior....
I want to get clarification on this issue June. If what you and MC have stated is correct, and "normalcy" is based off a long running pattern of behavior, hence the term "continuum", would than not make issues such as schizophrenia and manic depressive tendencies (bi-polar) the norm as well. These conditions have been around since the dawn of man as well. They just were not classified or treated prior to a certain time in history.

Where is the line drawn between "normal" and "abnormal" human behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Give some thought to it TKramer....perhaps it is natures way of keeping the population growth down or some other reason that may be beneficial to the specie.
If they're not there, we don't lose anything by their inability to contribute to the gene pool in the first place.

And I'm not joking--I take no issue with the concept of abortion, or even postnatal killing in the first few years of life.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I do hope you're kidding. Personally I don't think intersex persons are truly mutants. Quite a few scientists agree with me on that one. Intersex births are common enough that they could statistically be considered within the norm for a human being.

Even if they aren't considered normal, much of the time there is no reason to make any choice for them. Generally (as I understand it) intersex persons would not be physically harmed by allowing them to remain as they are, until they are old enough to choose which gender they wish to live as, or even if they wish to remain intersexed. I don't think it should be up to the parents.

There's a great little foreign film entitled "XXY" about just such an issue. The child in question has been raised as a girl by the parents, but no surgery performed. When she's 15 years old she decides on her own to stop taking the hormonal treatments that will prevent all her sexual characteristics from developing.

At the end of the movie when the father is talking to her about having surgery to remove her male characteristics, she responds "Why do I have to choose? What's wrong with things just as they are?" Indeed, what's wrong with someone accepting and liking themselves just as they are?
You can like a three legged dog too, but you don't have to allow it continued existence. Why so much attachment to humans, who are, after all, just another form of animal. Heck, animals are preferable to humans in many cases.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
I want to get clarification on this issue June. If what you and MC have stated is correct, and "normalcy" is based off a long running pattern of behavior, hence the term "continuum", would than not make issues such as schizophrenia and manic depressive tendencies (bi-polar) the norm as well. These conditions have been around since the dawn of man as well. They just were not classified or treated prior to a certain time in history.

Where is the line drawn between "normal" and "abnormal" human behavior?
Intersexuality is not a 'behavior'. It's something one is born with. Same with homosexuality. Mental illness cannot be compared to either of them.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If they're not there, we don't lose anything by their inability to contribute to the gene pool in the first place.

And I'm not joking--I take no issue with the concept of abortion, or even postnatal killing in the first few years of life.
Hang that one up TKramer, unless you've experienced parenthood or had a childhood (or mental condition)that robbed you of the emotions associated with being a parent
Although I will admit that those feelings were even able to be overcome somewhat in societies like China,for instance, where the girl babies were disposed of without a lot of hassle.
But we are here in the US, where even a man that admittedly opted out of paying for fire protection gets sympathy, so situations where the decisions are elevated to a much higher level.....best to concentrate on not reviling them than eliminating them

Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 PM

I have no DESIRE to experience parenthood--because other people are useless to me. I don't get warm fuzzies for my fellow man. This life is about ME, and the next one can be about others--maybe. We'll see.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Intersexuality is not a 'behavior'. It's something one is born with. Same with homosexuality. Mental illness cannot be compared to either of them.
My bad. I should have used the term "disorder" verses "behavior".

Are you stating that mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder are not with a child from birth? Sure, sometimes these illnesses are developed, but more times than not they are born with these disorders.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have no DESIRE to experience parenthood--because other people are useless to me. I don't get warm fuzzies for my fellow man. This life is about ME, and the next one can be about others--maybe. We'll see.
Don't take what I said as criticism for your choice....just that if you haven't experienced it you can't know how much it MIGHT change your viewpoint on many things.
I do say MIGHT because it does not affect a certain segment of people...but the ones where the change is most dramatic is usually people like you

Old 10-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
My bad. I should have used the term "disorder" verses "behavior".

Are you stating that mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder are not with a child from birth? Sure, sometimes these illnesses are developed, but more times than not they are born with these disorders.
Only one correction here.....the bolded part.
Changed to the tendency for these disorders.
There are two parents as well as other factors that can diminish certain certain traits

Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Quote:

No one chose to be born with both chromosones. So far, fundamentalists are seeming to deny the similarities that exist between being born with homosexual tendencies, and being dual gendered by saying that homosexuality is clearly a choice, and those that suffer from intersex complications are just victims of biology, because of mans sinful ways over the past several thousand years. In the end, both groups of people will never live up to the Christian God's standards if their bodies are in conflict with nature. This is sad, as it shows a true lack of compassion.
The reality is that hormones within the brain take place in the neo-natal state. Who is to be held accountable for being "sinful" due to what transpired within the first few weeks of life in the womb? --Whether one is born to be gay, or a hermaphrodite. Are we to blame hormones now as the "sinner" involved here?

Nope. It's easier to 'blame the victim' or, worse yet, to make victims out of them for that which they had no say in, whatsoever....Which hardly seems either rational, or fair, in June's humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality