Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:24 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
Jeez Louise! I know what you mean, but in this case, I hope it's not true!!! Yikes.

Thought of another one. This one is far sillier!

My boyfriend and I were visiting his parents in Atlanta. I don't care about football, but all of them do, and we watch together. They started telling me about Chad Ochocinco -- about how he legally had his named changed to "8-5" in Spanish, as he's number 85. We laughed about how silly he was, and how he didn't even have it changed to "Ochenta y cinco," 85, but to 8, 5. We spoke about it at great length and laughed and laughed.

The next day, this entire conversation repeated itself almost word-for-word. I'm laughing, and then I said "OK, but didn't we all just talk about this last night?" They all just stared at me. They insisted we hadn't ever spoken about Chad Ochocinco before.

The only conclusion we were able to draw was that I'd dreamed the conversation, the day before it happened.

But why??? Who cares about Chad Ochocinco? This hardly held any "deeper meaning."

Did I cause that conversation to take place, too? I'd never even heard of him before!!!
Deja Vu rather than a dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,781,990 times
My life has been full of odd coincidences. Not just the ones where people pick up subliminal hints about what's on their minds of think along the same angle and come up with the same subject out of the blue, but the ones where something goes incredibly right and you feel thankful - except there's no -one to thank, and sometimes there are a real series of frustrating things going wrong and one wants to know 'what did I do to deserve this' or 'if only this resolves, I'd be so grateful..' (anything from two shekels in the pottery trumpet to a rupee in the throat for Kali) were it not that I am sure all that is a human delusion.

It's easy to pick out the hits and especially to look for hits and ignore the misses and see significant patterns in random events.

So, while there may be something more than the normal going on, there is no good evidence that anything more than the normal is going on and so it would be irrational to suppose there is, even if it would be fun to suppose so.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,693,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
Jeez Louise! I know what you mean, but in this case, I hope it's not true!!! Yikes.

Thought of another one. This one is far sillier!

My boyfriend and I were visiting his parents in Atlanta. I don't care about football, but all of them do, and we watch together. They started telling me about Chad Ochocinco -- about how he legally had his named changed to "8-5" in Spanish, as he's number 85. We laughed about how silly he was, and how he didn't even have it changed to "Ochenta y cinco," 85, but to 8, 5. We spoke about it at great length and laughed and laughed.

The next day, this entire conversation repeated itself almost word-for-word. I'm laughing, and then I said "OK, but didn't we all just talk about this last night?" They all just stared at me. They insisted we hadn't ever spoken about Chad Ochocinco before.

The only conclusion we were able to draw was that I'd dreamed the conversation, the day before it happened.

But why??? Who cares about Chad Ochocinco? This hardly held any "deeper meaning."

Did I cause that conversation to take place, too? I'd never even heard of him before!!!
You got punk'd.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
Some people are better at drawing inferences than others.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,360,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Not exactly religion but I think this question fits this category best of any on the board.

Today I texted a friend who I hadn't talked to in several months. She called me back and I missed her call but she basically just said call me later, I could kind of tell something was wrong from her voice but she didn't say anything out of the normal and nothing too noticable.

Anyhow, all the sudden I had a feeling like something was wrong and for no reason at all really I the thought popped into my head I wonder if her boyfriend died.

When I called her back later she told me he was killed 3 weeks ago riding a motorcycle.

It just seemed really odd to me that I had a feeling somethign was wrong just out of the blue and the first thing that popped into my head about him dying turned out to be what happenned.

Anyone ever had something like this happen to you? Is it totally a coincidence or is there something to this?
Something like this happens to me all the time. I always get the feeling that something is not right or something is going to happen and then I find out either by experience or through the grapevine that something went down.

Follow your "intuition" it is never wrong.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Something like this happens to me all the time. I always get the feeling that something is not right or something is going to happen and then I find out either by experience or through the grapevine that something went down.

Follow your "intuition" it is never wrong.
Whether it be correct or not, my definition of instinct has always been that it's a correlation/summation of all you have already learned or decided is fact, coveniently delivered to your brain instantaneously.

If your considered opinions have proven trustworthy, you can generally trust your instincts.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,982 times
Yep. I get strong feelings about things and know to follow them. Yesterday I had a strong feeling to come home early and it turns out my roommate got kicked out. I get strong feelings about taking alternate routes and often it's because there is a construction site or some obstacle that I can't get past. I also felt a very strong pain in my foot right before my roommate's foot got run over by a car, in the exact place that his foot got injured, though that time I didn't realize it was a premonition.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How many times have the things that popped into your head turned out to be untrue?
I've had wrong predictions but that is because I still couldn't tell the difference between a thought and a feeling. Intuition is a feeling. Thought isn't, it has a lot more doubt, it's much more erratic, it's changed by hearing something. But an intuitive feeling is just there and you can't shake it.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM

88,684 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Not exactly religion but I think this question fits this category best of any on the board.

Today I texted a friend who I hadn't talked to in several months. She called me back and I missed her call but she basically just said call me later, I could kind of tell something was wrong from her voice but she didn't say anything out of the normal and nothing too noticable.

Anyhow, all the sudden I had a feeling like something was wrong and for no reason at all really I the thought popped into my head I wonder if her boyfriend died.

When I called her back later she told me he was killed 3 weeks ago riding a motorcycle.

It just seemed really odd to me that I had a feeling somethign was wrong just out of the blue and the first thing that popped into my head about him dying turned out to be what happenned.

Anyone ever had something like this happen to you? Is it totally a coincidence or is there something to this?
Happens to me all the time. I don't believe there is such a thing as a total coincidence. You can't control intuition, but you can learn to tune into it more frequently.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM

88,684 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Whether it be correct or not, my definition of instinct has always been that it's a correlation/summation of all you have already learned or decided is fact, coveniently delivered to your brain instantaneously.

If your considered opinions have proven trustworthy, you can generally trust your instincts.
This can be true. This scenario doesn't explain the OP's situation, however, wherein his or her thought was of a death that hadn't occurred yet, but yes, a lot of times when we "know" something but don't know how we know it, it's because information has been processing in the background and we are unaware of it.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote an entire book on this called Blink. I recommend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality