Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times

Advertisements

Scary stuff...

"The theocrats who yearn to take away our freedoms and run our lives according to their strict fundamentalist dogma are nothing if not resourceful. They're always thinking up new strategies.

Case in point is a group called Personhood USA, a new entry in the world of the Religious Right. The organization's theory is that it can ban legal abortion by passing state constitutional amendments declaring that a fertilized egg is legally a person."

| Alarming Amendment: Fundamentalists Use `Personhood' Proposal To Invade America's Bedrooms
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:43 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,732,259 times
Although I realize that not everyone who wants to ban abortions is a religious fundamentalist, nevertheless I suspect that if you factored this group out of the political mix, you would find that anti-abortion laws would have very little political support. In other words, the population of well-educated, non-fundamentalist people who believe that abortion is murder is so small that they, by themselves, would have no significant political power where this issue is concerned.

I think the only way to protect our individual liberties in the long run is to somehow break the fundamentalist spell that ensnares the minds of so many people. It seems to me that fundamentalism is a cult that literally dulls the powers of critical thinking in order to exercise a form of mind control. This seems to be the only way they can promote their particular scripture-driven political agenda.

Again, I'm not saying that everyone who opposed abortion is under the spell, but without the hordes who are under the spell, there would be no serious threat to legal abortions.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Scary stuff...

"The theocrats who yearn to take away our freedoms and run our lives according to their strict fundamentalist dogma are nothing if not resourceful. They're always thinking up new strategies.

Case in point is a group called Personhood USA, a new entry in the world of the Religious Right. The organization's theory is that it can ban legal abortion by passing state constitutional amendments declaring that a fertilized egg is legally a person."

| Alarming Amendment: Fundamentalists Use `Personhood' Proposal To Invade America's Bedrooms
They can invade my bedroom. I'm renovating and need help moving this heavy furniture.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:22 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,171 times
People like this are on the fringe extreme when it comes to lunacy. Just because they want to do something doesn't mean they can. It's nice to want things. There's a reason why they always have to come back with a new plan under new aliases.

It'd be nice if they had as much compassion for human lives as they do for fetuses and a few cells.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Personhood' Proposal To Invade America's Bedrooms
Those are fighting words. We'll just have to take our bedroom activities to the streets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpuNNLeLc1A

Old 10-23-2010, 09:47 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
People like this are on the fringe extreme when it comes to lunacy. Just because they want to do something doesn't mean they can. .
It looks like they've managed to get it on the ballot in Colorado.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SphkzmyziMs

Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
They can invade my bedroom. I'm renovating and need help moving this heavy furniture.
They will "pray" for your heavy furniture to somehow get moved.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:34 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,589,976 times
Good grief - "missionaries to preborn children"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
It seems to me that fundamentalism is a cult that literally dulls the powers of critical thinking in order to exercise a form of mind control.
Agreed - frightening how these fringe elements latch on and work their magic.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
The American Taliban, they want to abolish Birth Control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality