Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:36 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times

Advertisements

I'll be the first one to "weigh in" saying that I think there maybe some real therapeutic value to this drug. From what I have heard, (and I think it is too soon/new to tell) the drug has been very effective when given to individuals who suffer from chronic PTSD. (Resulting either from incest, rape, or some horrific experience.) By being able to "short curcuit" the repititious memories of the trauma, flashbacks are eliminated, as well as the resulting anxiety and sense of emotional paralysis. I doubt that such a drug would be prescribed as easily as most, at least I certainly hope not! I think the determining factor would be the pervasiveness of the symptoms: Is the individual's life so decompensated, debilitated, and compromised by recurring memories of the original traumatic event that they are virtually unable to function because of it? Has therapy (and other meds) proven unsuccessful in treating the individual's PTSD, and flashbacks? (And I include "body memories" within the term "flashback.")

I have not heard that it erases one's entire memory, and thus far, those who have taken this drug seem to have reported pretty remarkable results...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,155 times
Aside from not understanding how a drug would specifically pinpoint bad memories and leave good ones intact, heck yeah I'd choose to have my bad memories erased. Or at least numbed. Too many people endure a lot of problems as a result of not being able to let go of some bad memories. Should a soldier experiencing PTSD really have to endure the pain of remembering what he experienced? I saw that disease shred my uncle's life to pieces. My mother's ex-husband was affected by it and it led him to become an alcoholic, just trying to get away from the memories that haunted him.

Until people actually know what it's like to experience certain things, they really are in no place to make a quick judgment about them.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Aside from not understanding how a drug would specifically pinpoint bad memories and leave good ones intact, heck yeah I'd choose to have my bad memories erased. Or at least numbed. Too many people endure a lot of problems as a result of not being able to let go of some bad memories. Should a soldier experiencing PTSD really have to endure the pain of remembering what he experienced? I saw that disease shred my uncle's life to pieces. My mother's ex-husband was affected by it and it led him to become an alcoholic, just trying to get away from the memories that haunted him.

Until people actually know what it's like to experience certain things, they really are in no place to make a quick judgment about them.
Yep, in extreme cases such as this, I could see some real value to it.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:58 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,702 times
Quote:

I have lived through the death of my sister at the hands of an drunk driver, the death of an uncle to AIDS and alcoholism, the suicide of four friends, the overdose of another. I have stopped my mom from suicide more times than I can count. Ive pulled pills from the back of her throat and have scars on my arms where she cut me while trying to stab herself.

Through it all the only drug I needed to get me through was the love of Christ. I made mistakes along the way and some memories still haunt me, but Christ was there every step of the way. I am who I am today because God brought me through those tragedies and many others.

I wont judge another man for wanting to dull such things, but for me, dulling them would be like dulling myself and in turn dulling myself to God's plan for me.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 PM

267 posts, read 533,647 times
alright. Just ignore me.

IT DOESN'T ERASE MEMORIES. Just their effect. They'll still be there. It's not like Eraser at all. Cripes.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
alright. Just ignore me.

IT DOESN'T ERASE MEMORIES. Just their effect. They'll still be there. It's not like Eraser at all. Cripes.
How is anyone ignoring you?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
How is anyone ignoring you?
*raises eyebrow* People went on about erasing their memories and comparing it to eraser after my first comment.

People taking an idea without knowing all about it and running with it, ignoring information after it's said...that's how mobs form...bothers me

Last edited by Virote; 07-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 07-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virote View Post
*raises eyebrow* People went on about erasing their memories and comparing it to eraser after my first comment.

People taking an idea without knowing all about it and running with it, ignoring information after it's said...that's how mobs form...bothers me
Okay, you stated it doesn't erase the memories, but instead deadens their effect. I think I pretty much alluded to that same thing when I stated I would at least choose to have the bad memories numbed. That's basically the same as deadening their effect. I actually posted that part of my comment as a result of your post - so no, I wasn't ignoring what you said.

You then stated something about how the government could use the drugs to keep its population sedated and under control. To me, that was an irrelevant comment.

People are just posting their opinions about the OP's subject. Was there something else you were hoping they'd say in response?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
If a drug could erase only bad memories and leave the others intact...there are some that I would erase...I know that would make me a more settled person and a better Mother to my daughter.

I was adopted by a rather violent, controlling and abusive family...I am 40 now and I am still feeling the effects. I would gladly give those memories up.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Okay, you stated it doesn't erase the memories, but instead deadens their effect. I think I pretty much alluded to that same thing when I stated I would at least choose to have the bad memories numbed. That's basically the same as deadening their effect. I actually posted that part of my comment as a result of your post - so no, I wasn't ignoring what you said.

You then stated something about how the government could use the drugs to keep its population sedated and under control. To me, that was an irrelevant comment.

People are just posting their opinions about the OP's subject. Was there something else you were hoping they'd say in response?
I wasn't talking to you then, I was talking to others like Lisa-from-Debary for instance. And as for my comment being off topic...is this thread not off topic? What do pills have to do with religion unless you were asking about the ethical implications about medication?

Last edited by Virote; 07-06-2007 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality