Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 10:19 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What would you expect the church to do to change that? What do you believe the church CAN do to change that? Honest question. Because kidnapping and dragging them into church is not allowed. We can't force people to go to a church.
Did you watch the video. The minister made some excellent points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 12:50 PM

23,127 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You bring up a very important negative aspect of christianity. I have seen antisemitism since before I even had a real understanding of what being Jewish was all about. The defacement of synagogues is not exactly a rare occurrence in out magical land of freedom of religion. I never understood it. And who's been doing it all these decades? For the most part, not atheists.

But I think when I really understood it was one day when a group of Jewish mothers came into my office with a tray of Jewish desserts. I thanked them and asked them what was this for? "You're the first who actually listens to us". They went on to remind me that there was a school district policy that things like exams, field trips, etc. were not to take place on certain Jewish holy days, and that none of the principals who had preceded me had ever enforced the policy. And who was it that complained about the policy? Christians who wanted to know why Jews go special treatment...ignoring the fact that "winter break" always happened on Christmas week, and spring break always happened on Easter week. Apparently mere coincidences. Heck one school I taught in early in my career excused students with hunting licences on the first day of the hunting season!

A little example of christian privilege.
Yup, even more than that, the Christian teachers feel a duty to involve your child in those holidays no marter what you say. You go to pick your kid up before is Easter party and you are marked from then on. I got so angry at a school because they gave my kid christian themed homework and this was a publuc school. I mean, I belive in Jesus, I just dint believe in their Jesus.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yup, even more than that, the Christian teachers feel a duty to involve your child in those holidays no marter what you say. You go to pick your kid up before is Easter party and you are marked from then on. I got so angry at a school because they gave my kid christian themed homework and this was a publuc school. I mean, I belive in Jesus, I just dint believe in their Jesus.
Public schools should be neutral.

If christian want a christian education, there are schools for that, too.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:58 PM

Heck yeah on the hunting part, my boys wouldnt go to school that day anyway, well, I mean the first day of duck hunting, yeah, we are duck killers from way back.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:48 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
I'm making the points I want to make.

When Black folks don't attend a white church...maybe there's a reason.
I'd say it's the music.

Kidding, but not really. Most of the time, in this day and age, the separation in churches is due to cultural differences in worship style that have sometimes arisen out of the separation of racism.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'd say it's the music.

Kidding, but not really. Most of the time, in this day and age, the separation in churches is due to cultural differences in worship style that have sometimes arisen out of the separation of racism.
No question that is part of it. I've been to Black churches a couple of times. I found it very interesting, but very different from when I was brought up in a very different environment.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:30 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
No question that is part of it. I've been to Black churches a couple of times. I found it very interesting, but very different from when I was brought up in a very different environment.
You can accuse the church all you want of not welcoming other people groups, but the fact is, in MOST churches, there are several big families that almost everyone is related to.

Since white people tend to marry white people and have white babies, and black people tend to marry black people and have black babies, this is just going to continue. More and more we're seeing interracial marriages, and that will cause this to change some.

In one past church I attended years ago there was a large group of Burmese people that had a church service in the afternoon in our building. No one told the white folks we couldn't come, but the fact is, MOST of the people there were Burmese. Why? Because a lot of them were related, and also because they liked to be around each other. And that's ok.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:33 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
I'm making the points I want to make.

When Black folks don't attend a white church...maybe there's a reason.
There is no doubt you are about you. but to the point ... maybe the exact same reasons whites don't go to black worship. Its just different, not better or worse, just different.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:50 PM

I been to black churches a million times but then I was raised by a church going black woman, and we were also unique where we had the One Way Coffee House and whites were the minority in our services because we picked up kids all over town and every kid inbtown wanted to hang with us every Sat. We always played baseball, football and sometimes we would take 60 people to the beach renting a 3 beach house complex. We would sing songs all night and we had a band set up and always plenty of musicians.

Really cool days in the 60's and 70's, hippies always hanging around drinking coffee and discussing all sorts of things.

Really a fun way to grow up, get ip for breakfast with 30 people walking around the house, there was always something happening

60's and 70's were just so different than any other decade, and I mean for some reason people had a fire of passion it seemed, not like today, but there was an expectation in the air.

Truly an age of enlightenment.

Old 10-08-2020, 04:33 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Is your own household segregated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality