Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times

Advertisements

This is very, very funny. First they did Napoleon Dynamite and now this. Very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J84sOTsMUI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
You don't have to be mormon to really love that stuff. You just have to live in Utah or Idaho

Old 10-23-2010, 07:22 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You don't have to be mormon to really love that stuff. You just have to live in Utah or Idaho
True, true. I don't live in SLC, nor am I LDS, but found it to be hilarious.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
I thought it was kind of stupid myself, but then I didn't care much for Napoleon Dynamite, either. I went to see it with my son and he thought it was hilarious. I guess everybody just has a different kind of humor. Are you sure this video was made by the same people as made Napoleon Dynamite?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:11 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
It's kinda cool but why is it "Mormon humor?" Are these fellows really Mormon? It doesn't say anything in the WoW about consuming caffeine! I've had sodas at Mormon church meetings. The WoW advises abstaining from tea and coffee because they contain tannic acid which is used to tan hides, not because of caffeine.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
The best Mormon humor I've seen is the South Park episode riffing on them.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
It's kinda cool but why is it "Mormon humor?"
I think it's supposed to be about Mormons.

Quote:
Are these fellows really Mormon?
I doubt it very much, and I'm pretty sure they aren't the ones who made Napoleon Dynamite.

Quote:
It doesn't say anything in the WoW about consuming caffeine!
That's right, it doesn't.

Quote:
The WoW advises abstaining from tea and coffee because they contain tannic acid which is used to tan hides, not because of caffeine.
Actually, it doesn't advise against tea and coffee specifically; it advises against "hot drinks" which has always been interpreted as meaning tea and coffee. But -- and here's where you're wrong -- it doesn't mention tannic acid any more than it mentions caffeine. It just says that "hot drink" (meaning tea and coffee) aren't good for you.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:07 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,295 times
So... what about all that HOT CHOCOLATE Mormons drink? Is not HOT CHOCOLATE a HOT drink? If it's not, it's just chocolate milk.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:36 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
It doesn't say anything in the WoW about consuming caffeine! I've had sodas at Mormon church meetings. The WoW advises abstaining from tea and coffee because they contain tannic acid which is used to tan hides, not because of caffeine.
How old are you or how long have you been a Mormon? I never cease to be amazed at how short the institutional memory of Mormonism is. Things change quietly and before you know it people don't even know what used to be part of Mormonism.

You are right that caffeine is not specifically prohibited in the Word of Wisdom. And yes, one can get baptized and have a temple recommend while still drinking caffeinated pop. But, you act like you never knew that for years and years the most committed and devout Mormons did not drink caffeinated drinks.

When I was a kid in the 1980's, it was understood that if we wanted to be good Mormons, we were not to drink caffeinated pop. To relate it to something more recent, it was viewed the same way as having multiple ear piercings is today (Remember Hinckley advising Mormon women to one have one set of ear piercings at most).

Anyway, when I went to BYU and the MTC, one could not buy caffeinated drinks anywhere on campus or find it in the MTC cafeteria.

Here are a few quotes I could find:
In 1975 The New Era's Question/Answer section asked, "Is it against Church standards to drink cola beverages or any other beverage containing caffeine?" Bishop H. Burke Peterson, who was the First Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric at the time answered:
"'And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man.' (D&C 89:10)
"We should notice the word wholesome and always consider the things that we take into our body as to whether they are wholesome or not. The scripture continues, 'All these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.' (D&C 89:11) Consider the word prudence. Would eating a whole apple pie or a cake or watermelon at one sitting be prudent? It is contrary to the principles embodied in the Word of Wisdom to take an excess of anything into our bodies.
"Two of the tests we can employ as we question the use of any food or beverage are: Is it wholesome? Is it prudent? As we know, some of us need more rest than others. These same principles imply that we should not tax our bodies beyond good judgment. Finally, remember that the Lord has counseled:
'For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.' (D&C 58:26)
"We know that cola drinks contain the drug caffeine. We know caffeine is not wholesome nor prudent for the use of our bodies. It is only sound judgment to conclude that cola drinks and any others that contain caffeine or other harmful ingredients should not be used."("Q&A: Questions and Answers," New Era, Oct. 1975, 34 NOTE: Scroll down to Bishop Peterson's question/answer section about cola drinks.)

Here's what the Ensign printed about caffeine and cola drinks in 1988:
"Apparently, the potency of caffeine is related to body weight. To a 150-pound adult, 'a cup of instant coffee or a can of cola beverage could give about 1 mg caffeine per kilogram of body weight. In a very young child, a cup of chocolate or a candy bar would give the same proportion of stimulant to body weight. When this child drinks a can of cola, … caffeine intake is comparable to an adult drinking four cups of instant coffee. … Restlessness, irritability, sleeplessness, and nervousness are some of the symptoms.'

"According to a statement in the Priesthood Bulletin of February 1972 (volume 8, number 1), 'There has been no official interpretation of [the] Word of Wisdom except that which was given by the Brethren in the very early days of the Church when it was declared that ‘hot drinks’ meant tea and coffee.

'With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.'" (Clifford J. Stratton, "Caffeine—The Subtle Addiction," Ensign, June 1988, 60)
Drinking Soda (cola)

by W. John Walsh
While it is not a technical violation of the [SIZE=3]Word of Wisdom[/SIZE], Latter-day Saints are encouraged by Church leaders to avoid caffeinated drinks. It is believed that caffeine in large quantities, such as found in caffeinated soft drinks, is not good for the body and therefore violates the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. While many Latter-day Saints drink decaffeinated cola drinks, some people have suggested that we should avoid the empty calories of those beverages in favor of something more nutritious. It is well established that many people are overweight and yet also do not receive enough nutrition in their diets. The popularity of cola beverages has been linked to both problems in recent studies (See CNN Report on 2/15/01) Counsel from Church leaders on this subject is as follows:
President Spencer W. Kimball taught:
Generally when we speak of the Word of Wisdom, we are talking about tea, coffee, tobacco, and liquor, and all of the fringe things even though they might be detrimental are not included in the technical interpretation of the Word of Wisdom. I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, "But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug." With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hot drinks]…. I might say also that strychnine and sleeping pills and opium and heroin are not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom and yet I would discourage them with all my power. (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p.202)
President Heber J. Grant taught:
I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola alone. There are plenty of other things you can get at the soda fountains without drinking that which is injurious. The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself. (Conference Report, April 1922, p.165)
Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught:
.... there are many other substances which have a harmful effect on the human body, though such particular things are not specifically prohibited by the Word of Wisdom. Certainly the partaking of cola drinks, though not included within the measuring standard here set out, is in violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. Harmful drugs of any sort are in a like category. (Mormon Doctrine, p.845)
Bishop Vaughn J. Featherstone taught:
Speaking of those who rationalize the church's stand on cola drinks, Bishop Featherstone said, "We can find loopholes in a lot of things if we want to bend the rules of the church." (The Church News, Conference Issues 1970-1987, p.9)
Elder Samuel O. Bennion taught:
I heard President Grant say, recently, that he would consider it a favor to him, if men and women would abstain from the use of tea and coffee, tobacco, liquor, and coca-cola; that they would have power given them to establish themselves in the faith, and save themselves from debt, sickness, and disease. And he read from the revelations, that the destroying angel would pass them by; and he is a prophet of God. (Conference Report, April 1922, p.140)
Elder John A. Widtsoe taught:
Whenever a drink is advertised to "give you a lift," the "lift" is likely to be caused by the drug which it contains. Such soft drinks are decidedly harmful and habit-forming, even though sold by the millions. Such caffeine-containing drinks, offered by every soda fountain and most eating places, and consumed in large quantities, should be known and avoided. (The Word of Wisdom: A Modern Interpretation, p.97)
Elder Mark E. Peterson taught:
And then there are some soft drinks which contain harmful or habit-forming ingredients. The leaders of the Church have not attempted to add to the list of prohibitions in the Word of Wisdom to include all such items, but they teach that in the spirit of the Word of Wisdom, if not in the letter, we should avoid anything which contains ingredients which are harmful and habit forming. (A Word of Wisdom, p.15)
I know Katzpur is old enough to remember this. She likes to repeat the mantra: "But that wasn't official doctrine". And she is right, but come on, let's not deny that this emphasis against caffeine was there and was a part of Mormon history. Nay, it is still a part of Mormonism present still among many of the uber-devout members I know. I know my siblings in law would still get dirty looks from their mom if she saw them drinking a caffeinated pop. And non-members know members like that who don't drink caffeine for religious reasons.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I know Katzpur is old enough to remember this. She likes to repeat the mantra: "But that wasn't official doctrine". And she is right, but come on, let's not deny that this emphasis against caffeine was there and was a part of Mormon history.
There have always been attempts to explain what it is in coffee and tea that makes them bad for you, and the obviously conclusion is caffeine. At any rate, I got my first temple recommend 40 years ago. Caffeine wasn't mentioned then and it has not been mentioned in any of my subsequent temple recommend interviews. I wonder how many active Mormons have been denied a temple recommend over drinking Diet Coke? I'm sure that some people with overactive consciences "confess" their "sin" of drinking Diet Coke when they are asked if they keep the Word of Wisdom. I bet all that's ever said is, "Well, they're probably not good for you. Why don't you try to cut down on them." On the other hand, the Word of Wisdom doesn't mention methamphetamines at all. Do you suppose a crystal meth addict would likely be issued a temple recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality