Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Well, at least the people who believe things which you think strange, weird, or just plain un-orthodox have demonstrated that they can think outside the box.
That wouldn't include Christians, as they are the majority of the population in the USA. They made the box and proudly inhabit it. But of course they play the martyr and behave as though all us evil atheists were in the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That wouldn't include Christians, as they are the majority of the population in the USA. They made the box and proudly inhabit it. But of course they play the martyr and behave as though all us evil atheists were in the majority.
Logic and reason scares them

Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
People need these thangs (Ufos, aliens, that big hairy beast I just ran out of my yard etc) because they need an outlet for pent up psychological fears. So they create Monsters. Goes back to Saytun, the rebellious angel, probably goes back farther than that, cavemen probably invented monsters to compensate for fear of the unknown about a day or two after they invented language, mankind needs mythology to define itself, monsters help fulfill that.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:02 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
I am sure you have noticed that instead of promoting investigations and open thinking, science is all too ready to only accept possibilities, theories and hypotheses from like-minded scientists.
Nope, never noticed this. Have any studies which back up this claim, or it it just idle speculation and wishful thinking? As this thread points out, the faithful tend to do that a lot to back up what they hope is true despite the evidence telling them otherwise.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Quote:
the faithful tend to do that a lot to back up what they hope is true despite the evidence telling them otherwise.
The faithful are the scientists. They are faithful to science. Dont kid yourself, the god is science for scientists, just the same as it is the supreme being for religious folk. There is no difference at all. Each side sees evidence that makes the opposite side 'wrong' and delusional.

Scientists will only consider things as proved if they are verified by their peers? This is just worshiping the god they call science, looking for verification from their peers and proof is the beliefs which religious folk call 'faith'. These are just semantics.

Both religion and science are in the same business and on either end of the same stick.

As an example consider this.
As an aliens-are-in-this-solar-system believer, I would say that the evidence is in the same photographs that scientists look at.

However, scientists would say that there is nothing out of the ordinary in these same photographs, but they use them to "discover" features which do not appear on Earth.

Both are beliefs, and both groups swear blind that these things either are, or are not in the same pictures. Both groups could be correct, but neither will acknowledge the others position.

Scientists will only consider theories from other scientists, just like christians will only consider interpretations of their beliefs by other christians. A theory or interpretation is no good unless it comes with an acceptable amount of proof/faith from authority figures.

Science has beliefs too, and they are constantly being changed and new ones adopted - just like other disciplines. Flat/round Earth, Water/no water on Mars, Water/no water on Moon, etc etc

See - there is no difference at all.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Science has beliefs too, and they are constantly being changed and new ones adopted - just like other disciplines. Flat/round Earth, Water/no water on Mars, Water/no water on Moon, etc etc

Apparently, it's necessary to point out to you that a belief in a flat earth is rather easily disproved; it's not as though "science" changed the game as part of some insidious plot.

You just don't have any use for science--or rather, you don't credit it as being anything significant--a topic about which you never stop beating your drum.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
The faithful are the scientists. They are faithful to science. Dont kid yourself, the god is science for scientists, just the same as it is the supreme being for religious folk.
The existence of scientists who follow traditional religions is pretty convincing proof that you don't know what you're talking about here.

Quote:
As an aliens-are-in-this-solar-system believer, I would say that the evidence is in the same photographs that scientists look at.
Unfortunately you're unable to do anything other than say so. Kind of like how we're supposed to take a believer's word for it that god really exists.

Quote:
Both are beliefs, and both groups swear blind that these things either are, or are not in the same pictures.
Nope, scientists are able to admit when they don't know something. They don't automatically jump to "therefore it is evidence that gods/aliens exist". Only true believers make that kind of a leap of faith.

And I noticed you never answered my question. Do you have any research which shows that scientists are closed-minded and unwilling to accept new information? Or it this just another assertion we have to take on faith. There seem to be a lot of those in what you're proposing.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
The faithful are the scientists. They are faithful to science. Dont kid yourself, the god is science for scientists, just the same as it is the supreme being for religious folk. There is no difference at all. Each side sees evidence that makes the opposite side 'wrong' and delusional.

Scientists will only consider things as proved if they are verified by their peers? This is just worshiping the god they call science, looking for verification from their peers and proof is the beliefs which religious folk call 'faith'. These are just semantics.

Both religion and science are in the same business and on either end of the same stick.

However, scientists would say that there is nothing out of the ordinary in these same photographs, but they use them to "discover" features which do not appear on Earth.

Both are beliefs, and both groups swear blind that these things either are, or are not in the same pictures. Both groups could be correct, but neither will acknowledge the others position.

Scientists will only consider theories from other scientists, just like christians will only consider interpretations of their beliefs by other christians. A theory or interpretation is no good unless it comes with an acceptable amount of proof/faith from authority figures.

I agree with everything that you stated. However, I am going to defend science here for once. Science has a hard time due to religion. If a scientist says "I dunno" the "God dunnits" will say "why not teach the kids in school our way since you don't know"?

This struggle is why the atheists/agnostics tend to blindly follow science. However, when a doctor or an astronaut says that "aliens have been visiting Earth", these same atheists/agnostics turn away from those particular scientists because they are obviously "lost" and "delusional". Agnostics have a belief system that can't admit to being a belief system (now THAT's delusional).

Old 11-01-2010, 12:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I agree with everything that you stated. However, I am going to defend science here for once. Science has a hard time due to religion. If a scientist says "I dunno" the "God dunnits" will say "why not teach the kids in school our way since you don't know"?
I agree with you point here, the, for lack of a better term, stupidity of saying goddunit as a substitute for "I don't know", well it's a sell out to reason and intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This struggle is why the atheists/agnostics tend to blindly follow science. However, when a doctor or an astronaut says that "aliens have been visiting Earth", these same atheists/agnostics turn away from those particular scientists because they are obviously "lost" and "delusional". Agnostics have a belief system that can't admit to being a belief system (now THAT's delusional).
And disagree; provide evidence, something that can be examined by different disciplines of science and I'll accept it. Doctors and astraunauts are people just like the rest of us, and just as susceptible to misinterpreting what they see as any other person. Why would you even suppose that because they trained in a science that they are no longer infallible as a eye witness. Do optical illusions not work on doctors?

I have posted links to evidence that, like any scientific theory, has been tested and repeated, and the conclusion is that eye-witness testimony is worthless, and false memory are easily induced into someone conscious thought stream.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And disagree; provide evidence, something that can be examined by different disciplines of science and I'll accept it. Doctors and astraunauts are people just like the rest of us, and just as susceptible to misinterpreting what they see as any other person. Why would you even suppose that because they trained in a science that they are no longer infallible as a eye witness. Do optical illusions not work on doctors?

I have posted links to evidence that, like any scientific theory, has been tested and repeated, and the conclusion is that eye-witness testimony is worthless, and false memory are easily induced into someone conscious thought stream.
Translation: I trust doctors to save my life. I trust astronauts to tell me that there is no life on the Moon. However, when they tell me that aliens have been visiting Earth, they are clearly suffering from an "optical illusion" ROTFLMAO!!!

Dude, homegirl (whatever you are), you're a damn trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality