Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:04 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'd get annoyed with anyone, being with them "forever". Not to mention, how can he be with everyone if there are billions of people in heaven? What kind of bizzaro - existence would this be?
Learn to love your eternal family .. you'll be with them a long time

God is everywhere, ever present ... just like He can be with each and every believer while we're here on Earth, He can be everywhere, with everyone at the same time in Heaven.

With God, anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 AM

74 posts, read 126,887 times
Heaven is a primitive and infantile illusion used to repress the harshness of life and the cruelty of mortality. This may have been effective in ancient times when man was ignorant and intellectually weak, but in order to continue to evolve, man will eventually move beyond these myths. Streets of gold are of no consequence when everyone is in total and perpetual bliss.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It seems very strange to me that the Bible spends so much time discussing the unimportance of wealth and material things but have any of you read Revelations 21 which describes heaven? Here's a portion of it:

Doesn't this description of unimaginable wealth seem to contradict the basic philosophy of the Bible?

That's just Revelation, which is nothing more then the ramblings of someone who never met anyone who ever met anyone who knew Jesus and has no business being in the bible anyway.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
That's just Revelation, which is nothing more then the ramblings of someone who never met anyone who ever met anyone who knew Jesus and has no business being in the bible anyway.
Faith in the bible is like being pregnant, it's either or. Either the bible is all true or it's all false.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffhrdkncs View Post
Faith in the bible is like being pregnant, it's either or. Either the bible is all true or it's all false.

So, those Romans who assembled the Bible and picked and choosed what would and would not go into it who, mere decades before were feeding Christians to lions were "guided by the Holy Spirit"? Yahh...

Not to mention that THERE ARE MULTIPLE BIBLES OUT THERE. The Ethiopian Bible includes the Book of Enoch and the Book of Jubilees, the Catholic Bible contains the book of Tobit, the Syriac Church has the Second Baruch and the oldest complete bible ever found contains the Shepard of Hermas.

If those Romans throw out the Gospel of Thomas, then I can throw out the book of Revelation. After all, Thomas is older then Revelation, so says Ellen Pagels and other biblical scholars.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So, those Romans who assembled the Bible and picked and choosed what would and would not go into it who, mere decades before were feeding Christians to lions were "guided by the Holy Spirit"? Yahh...

Not to mention that THERE ARE MULTIPLE BIBLES OUT THERE. The Ethiopian Bible includes the Book of Enoch and the Book of Jubilees, the Catholic Bible contains the book of Tobit, the Syriac Church has the Second Baruch and the oldest complete bible ever found contains the Shepard of Hermas.

If those Romans throw out the Gospel of Thomas, then I can throw out the book of Revelation. After all, Thomas is older then Revelation, so says Ellen Pagels and other biblical scholars.
I agree, I think you could throw out the entire Bible in regards to being a literal work. I think it belongs in the category of mythology, beautiful allegories and parables, but mythology nonetheless.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Once again, these all seem like manmade imaginations to me. The heat of hell alone is one that comes to mind. I'm taking it that spirits can feel hot and cold and pain right? Because there would be no other way for something to be miserable. Likewise, in heaven, God has the perfect AC system because everyone is so comfortable and at peace. What is there to do in heaven? I'm sure the only reason there's no mention of watching TV in heaven is because it hadn't been invented yet! I bet that if the TV had been invented around the time the bible was made up it would say "And in heaven lie a jumbo TV, and all the men will gather around and watch football in awe of it." It's just ridiculous.
I recall a time when God gave me a dream of what heaven will be like. I was there just a short time, yet I will never forget it. I walked into one room and there were all these people who approached me. I knew that everyone loved Jesus, and they loved me. It was like eveyone there wanted to be your best friend. I have never experienced anything like this. I moved onto another room, and there were all these white coffins. Yet no one was in them. Beside each coffin, stood a person, and these people together were singing the most wonderful songs to God. It was the most wonderful place. And from there, I went to another room, and again there were more people singing songs to God. The music and their words were so powerful, you could see their words in the air, and their words would pass right through your body. Finally, I found myself walking down a hall, and I could not wait to see the next room. There was this older man walking next to me, and I told him I wanted to see more. He laught and said. "Of course, of course you do." And with that, I woke up and felt immediately down because I wanted to be back in that wonderful place. I really do not have the correct words to express what I felt, and experienced. All I know, is I really look forward to going back to that place someday. It is a place of joy, and love, and a place where you are just filled with wonder and excitement, and all at the sametime. I believe I just got to see the edge of heaven.

My grandmother had such an experience before she died. She was in her late 90s, and my aunt told our family that see though my grandmother had just passed away on a night while she was watching her, and after that, my aunt walked out of her bedroom and was heading down the hall when she suddenly heard my grandmother clapping her hands and singing oh how she loves Jesus. My aunt ran back into the room and told my grandmother she though she had just passed away. My grandmother started to laught, and then told her. "Bee, God has just showed me a little glimps of heaven, and I can't wait to go, I saw some of the family there, and they all looked so good." A few months latter, my grandmother did passed away.

The preaching of the cross to them that perish is foolishness, but to we that are alive, it is the power of God.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
sounds very pretty, but kinda boring after awhile. Yellowstone Park is nice to visit too, but I don't wanna live there forever.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
sounds very pretty, but kinda boring after awhile. Yellowstone Park is nice to visit too, but I don't wanna live there forever.
Most people will never experience heaven, because they are pretty much about themselves. Heaven is a place for those who love the God that made them. Most people are motivated by their own desires. And sad to say, God is not No. 1 on their list. We will all live forever, yet we must decide where it is we will live. Heaven is just the beginning of something beyond our understanding. It's sad to think that so many will trade heaven away for so little. And that is why Jesus asks the question. "How will they neglect so great a Salvation?"

Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What we'll be doing is worshiping and praising Jesus and thanking Him for saving us from eternal hell. Don't you want to join us
Plus, as an added bonus, you will watch the damned suffer the pains of hell!

"and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb..." Rev. 14:10

If you're going to be where Jesus is, you will witness the burnings. Cool, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality