Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What "causes" homosexuality?
Biological factors that we are just now beginning to understand. 88 62.86%
Being molested as a child. 3 2.14%
A particularly fabulous strain of the flu! 1 0.71%
Nothing causes it, it is a choice made by the individual. 17 12.14%
An unclean, demonic spirit has possessed or oppressed gays and they need deliverance. 8 5.71%
A combo of 2 or 3 of these options. (Please explain via post) 16 11.43%
None of the above. (Please explain via post) 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I agree with ibcwife that it is a choice. I wouldn't compare it to buying a car or where you live. I think it is a choice but it is a very hard choice to make not to engage in homosexuality because the temptation is very great. We are all born with a great predisposition to sin. Some a lot greater than others for reasons known only to God. There are many burdens and tragedies in this life we must overcome and I believe making the choice not to engage in homosexuality is one of those burdens for many.

I also do think that molestation in childhood years can have a great deal to do with it. I'm not saying every single gay or lesbian has been molested but I think a large percentage have.
Dreameyes, let's assume that you are totally str8 and have never had any sexual attraction to women. Men naturally catch your eye.

Could you just up and "choose" one day to start digging on chicks? If the answer is no, then why assume that any rational person would just up and choose to be gay one day? Why go against what feels natural to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,701 times
My guess is that it is predominantly biological, but there are probably environmental factors.

So a person is probably born with either homo- or hetero- sexual tendencies, and the way that they are raised (which would include societal influences, abuse, maybe chemical influences...) could possibly shift their sexuality one way or another.

So choice would really only be a factor for people in the middle (bi-sexual). They could choose their relationship preference, but this is not really an option for most people.

I know several people who were abused as children, and they are predominantly heterosexual. There are many problems with taking anecdotal evidence on this type of thing. I would be interested in reading about anything that comes from a peer-reviewed source.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
The only reason the have this discussion and the only time it is ever brought up is when someone is attempting to justify homosexual activity on the basis that God made them that way. Quite frankly, that is a bunch of crud. All sin comes from internal desires.
So are you saying that you could derive pleasure from homosexual sex if not for the sin involved?

I myself know that I would not derive pleasure from that because sinful or not I am not into it. I could derive pleasure from sex with another male but choose not to because it would be adultery and that would be a sin. So which is it, all sin is sin and comes from internal desires or are some actually naturally determined to be homosexual and those people involved in monogamous loving relationships are not sinning?

To me that is where the argument that homosexuality is a sin breaks down. Because I never made a choice as to which sex I was attracted to and neither did the homosexual friends I have nor my sister make a choice. It was just the way they were.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Dreameyes, let's assume that you are totally str8 and have never had any sexual attraction to women. Men naturally catch your eye.

Could you just up and "choose" one day to start digging on chicks? If the answer is no, then why assume that any rational person would just up and choose to be gay one day? Why go against what feels natural to them?
Well I did say it was a very hard temptation to resist but I still believe it is a choice just like someone born addicted to heroin makes the choice not to do it instead of just giving in.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,701 times
Quote:
The only reason the have this discussion and the only time it is ever brought up is when someone is attempting to justify homosexual activity on the basis that God made them that way. Quite frankly, that is a bunch of crud. All sin comes from internal desires.
I don't try to justify homosexual activity on the basis that god made a person that way. I think that, like everything else in the universe, there are natural explanations for it.

Persecuting homosexuals for their sexual preference is simply wrong. I see no problem with homosexuality.

.....Waiting for alpha to say "WOW"....

Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times
Quote:
Testy today I see. The entire argument of whether or not gayness is biological, choice, or whatever is meaningless to true Christians. You said it yourself in a previous post that the Bible speaks against homosexual activity.
I said seemingly. I think there is a different viewpoint on this, and here is one.

So I am not a true Christian because I brought up this argument? It's only meaningless to YOU because it doesn't affect you. Typical of most Christians though...they've got the ticket to Heaven, so too bad for those who have issues they can't seem to work out.

Quote:
But who subjected mankind to this? God created mankind knowing what would happen, as He is all knowing. Therefore, He is ultimately responsible for His creation!

Quote:
We were made with sinful natures and hence have all kids of wicked desires; murder, lust, selfishness, to name a few. To justify homosexual activity because God made us that way, also justifies every other sinful act because they also stem from the sin nature. My personal opinion is that God is not responsibile for the sin nature. We did that to ourselves and anyone who uses the argument, that homosexual activity is ok because God made us that way, really doesn't understand God or Christianity. You cannot live a life of unrepentant sin and truly accept Christ in your heart.
Completely disagree. Homosexuality is different in that it is not a choice. Everyone chooses to go out and party or whatever you deem as sin, but they do not choose to be gay. They are to completely deny the part of them that just wants to love (not friendship-love) another human being?

If a person has homosexual desires because of genes or other factors outside their control, I believe that God is especially forgiving. Since being gay is inherently unnatural because it does not fit with the normal pattern of sexuality for reproductive purposes (that is the main reason why sex organs exist), that is all the more reason why God would be understanding towards the plight of gays -- they were made with unusual inclinations such that they cannot enjoy sexuality in the natural way, so if they wish to have sex at all, they will face a certain degree of social opprobrium.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
So are you saying that you could derive pleasure from homosexual sex if not for the sin involved?

I myself know that I would not derive pleasure from that because sinful or not I am not into it. I could derive pleasure from sex with another male but choose not to because it would be adultery and that would be a sin. So which is it, all sin is sin and comes from internal desires or are some actually naturally determined to be homosexual and those people involved in monogamous loving relationships are not sinning?

To me that is where the argument that homosexuality is a sin breaks down. Because I never made a choice as to which sex I was attracted to and neither did the homosexual friends and my sister make a choice. It was just the way they were.

I never said anything of the sort.

You idea presupposes the notion that all people have the same sinful desires.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Persecuting homosexuals for their sexual preference is simply wrong. I see no problem with homosexuality.
Ya persecuting homosexuals in wrong but believing it is a sin is one's perogative and right. So many people think that just cause a Christian is against homosexuality and thinks its a sin that they're being unjust??

Last edited by jeffncandace; 07-09-2007 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Where in the bible is Jesus quoted as saying homosexuality is wrong?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Thus far the poll says the same thing I do It is biological.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality