Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:09 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

...so popular?

Sorry, I wasn't sure that would all fit into the reference line. I know I personally hate it when I can't tell the gist of a post at a glance, so...I apologize for that.

Anyway...for those who aren't Christian, what do you suppose made Christianity so popular? There are more Christians, total than any other religion, total (Islam comes in second).

Both of these two "biggest" global religions are Abrahamic (is that the right word?) in origin.

So for something that had such tiny beginnings...if Christianity is not "the true religion," why do you suppose it takes such a big bunch of the global religious pie chart? What is the appeal? What is the popularity?

This is something I've always wondered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
...so popular?

Sorry, I wasn't sure that would all fit into the reference line. I know I personally hate it when I can't tell the gist of a post at a glance, so...I apologize for that.

Anyway...for those who aren't Christian, what do you suppose made Christianity so popular? There are more Christians, total than any other religion, total (Islam comes in second).

Both of these two "biggest" global religions are Abrahamic (is that the right word?) in origin.

So for something that had such tiny beginnings...if Christianity is not "the true religion," why do you suppose it takes such a big bunch of the global religious pie chart? What is the appeal? What is the popularity?

This is something I've always wondered.
peer pressure.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:39 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
peer pressure.
Agree, at least today. But it could NOT have been peer pressure in the beginning. Also, wouldn't *any* religion involve peer pressure? Yet they didn't all eat up the globe and become so...huge.

There must be *something* about Christianity that made it this big huge catch-all across-basically-all-continents religion.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Agree, at least today. But it could NOT have been peer pressure in the beginning. Also, wouldn't *any* religion involve peer pressure? Yet they didn't all eat up the globe and become so...huge.

There must be *something* about Christianity that made it this big huge catch-all across-basically-all-continents religion.
Simply put. It was/is the faith of most conquering empires.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 AM

465 posts, read 528,786 times
If you're a christian, you already know the answer you're looking for so I don't even know why you posed it.

But anyways, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact the the Roman Empire made it the official religion. Combine that with the fact that most of the world was explored by people who were christians (you know the people who forced it down the natives throats and killed the natives to take their land).

Also, most religions mind their own business according to their beliefs. Christianity calls its people to go to other lands specifically to convert people.

Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc, don't call their followers to do so.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:22 AM

196 posts, read 208,730 times
Constantine made it so popular.

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca (Roman philosopher, mid-1st century AD)

Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
The promise of life after death

Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times
Fear!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Simply put. It was/is the faith of most conquering empires.
And let's not forget the fact that they used the sword quite regularly to sway those who might have given some resistance and executed the ones who actually did.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
It was a religion that set the disenfranchised to a level of equality with everyone else. You could be poor, a woman, handicapped but you were the same in god's eyes *perhaps better* as the wealthy and powerful. In the end your good deeds on earth and a belief in Christ was all that was needed for eternal life. That mixed in with Christianities uncanny ability to meld local traditions into the belief set made it an easy sell to a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality