Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Keeping things in sequence is crucial to the understanding, but it only needs to be what happened first, second and so on.
That may be true for one sequence of events, but it doesn't help in comparing to other sequences going on in other parts of the world. I don't understand why so many people are averse to using dates. For me, it helps keep it all straight. And it is interesting to see what was going on in, say, 1600 C.E. in Germany, France, and China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That may be true for one sequence of events, but it doesn't help in comparing to other sequences going on in other parts of the world. I don't understand why so many people are averse to using dates. For me, it helps keep it all straight. And it is interesting to see what was going on in, say, 1600 C.E. in Germany, France, and China.
I have no problem with dates, the problem was dates were the only thing that you had to learn to pass the course. Memorization of dates to pass a test is brutally dull, as the dates were literally meaningless. Thus the world history I took sucked big time.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 11,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Here are the top twenty most religious cities...Note....Most of them are in the south. Top 100 Most Religious Cities in America | Theology in the News
I would never have guessed that Miami, Jersey City, and Reno were more religious than Provo. And Provo wasn't omitted due to population(It's larger than several cities on that list, and it's metro area is larger than many), it's just a terrible list.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
This is what I was trying to say, but didn't do a very good job of it. I was raised by New Englanders with this attitude. Now I live in TN and am surrounded with Christians just like my parents. Religion is used as a weapon that allows them to judge others and help them stay sanctimonious. Helping others in a time of need doesn't happen.

Lately, I've been watching a co-worker that I thought was so nice take potshots at folks that may be economically struggling. One minute he's praising Jesus and the next minute he's being very mean-spirited. It's really becomes disheartening.

But yes, it is all over this country, not just in The South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Sorry for responding to this so late. Holiday obligations and travel, including some really nasty weather, etc.

So you have noticed the considerable absence of true Christian values and practices among a surprisingly large number of those who describe themselves as both Conservative AND "Christian", have ya? If it eases your mind somewhat, this phenomenon is not limited to east Tennessee.

In fact, the group of "Christians" in question should probably have their own patron saint -- Ebeneezer Scrooge. Here is some of the relevant dialog.

==========================================

GENTLEMAN #1:
...Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.

SCROOGE

Are there no prisons?

GENTLEMAN #1
Plenty of prisons.

SCROOGE

And the Union workhouses? Are they still in operation?

GENTLEMAN #2
They are. Still, I wish I could say they were not.

SCROOGE

The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?

GENTLEMAN #1 & #2
Both very busy, sir.

SCROOGE

Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course. I'm very glad to hear it.

GENTLEMAN #2
Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude, a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'

SCROOGE

Nothing!

GENTLEMAN #1
You wish to be anonymous?

SCROOGE

I wish to be left alone. Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. [<Snip!>]... I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.

GENTLEMAN #2
Many can't go there; and many would rather die.

SCROOGE

If they would rather die, they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population...

==========================================

I have noted the adoration of "Saint Scrooge" by self-proclaimed Conservative (fundamentalist Protestant) Christians in many parts of the country including, if you can believe it, areas of Southern California. I don't fault them for their political beliefs and practices, but I do strenuously object to them linking these beliefs and practices to the term "Christian." IMO, it doesn't even come close and, by doing this, they have greatly contributed to causing the connotation of "Christian" to become pejorative.

It is because of this that I no longer label myself as "Christian", but as:

-- Nighteyes (One who follows the teachings of Christ as he understands them)

Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I agree that a lot of people have ideas and stereotypes about the South that aren't necessarily true. But a lot of people that post in threads are people living IN the South, speaking based on their daily experiences.

They shouldn't be hushed from recounting their experiences just because it happens to line up with a stereotype.
Thank you for this. I have been accused on another thread of doing this, even though I was recounting my own experiences.

One girl said I was portraying southerners as racists (among other things). I said I was only relating the attitudes in the specific area I live in, which is in the mountains. I wasn't speaking for the entire south.

Wouldn't you know it - the very next day I saw a 2010 documentary about racism and hate from an evolutionary and scientific viewpoint, and damned if they didn't have film footage of a nearby KKK group holding a rally.

Not to be confused with our very own local KKK that is listed on the Southern Poverty Law web site.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
My roommate, on the other hand, lives with two interracially-married lesbians, and solves Physics problems in his head. That's not even including all the religious brainwashing he was subjected to and he's still managed to come out an atheist.
And you consider his current situation an improvement?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Anything is better than living one's life according to some 2000 year old Jewish fables, myths and fairy tales which they no longer believe themselves.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Um, yes. We're not bashing in his skull or doing any of the other number of awful things his family did to him.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 01-10-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality