Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Atheist worldview = we are all born, we live a short life and we die...there's nothing after death. Kind of empty and scary how final that is!

Orthodox Christian/Muslim worldview = we are all born, only a minority get to heaven, while the vast majority suffer the never ending wrath of God/alienation from God

Buddhism = An endless cycle of re-births that hopefully end in Nirvana, ,maybe a bit more positive for the whole

New Age religions = Many of them are 'feel good' in that everyone experiences a neutral if not positive afterlife; unfortunately I think it's just that, wishful thinking. Same with Universalism (I sorely wish could be true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Atheist worldview = we are all born, we live a short life and we die...there's nothing after death. Kind of empty and scary how final that is!
I don't find it empty and scary at all. Life is great, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it, and not spend every day in fear and waste my life away thinking I have to deny myself in order to maybe qualify for an afterlife. Fact is, many of the gods you people believe in -- there's no way I'd want to spend one second with them, because they're so evil. Thank goodness they're just a figment of their believers' imagination, because frankly I'd rather have oblivion than any time with those horrible beings.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't find it empty and scary at all. Life is great, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it, and not spend every day in fear and waste my life away thinking I have to deny myself in order to maybe qualify for an afterlife. Fact is, many of the gods you people believe in -- there's no way I'd want to spend one second with them, because they're so evil. Thank goodness they're just a figment of their believers' imagination, because frankly I'd rather have oblivion than any time with those horrible beings.
Maybe one of those 'horrible beings' is the reason you enjoy life here?

Old 12-26-2010, 07:10 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
I couldn't imagine spending eternity as a cheerleader for a God with low self-esteem.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Orthodox Christian/Muslim worldview = we are all born, only a minority get to heaven, while the vast majority suffer the never ending wrath of God/alienation from God

Buddhism = An endless cycle of re-births that hopefully end in Nirvana, ,maybe a bit more positive for the whole

New Age religions = Many of them are 'feel good' in that everyone experiences a neutral if not positive afterlife; unfortunately I think it's just that, wishful thinking. Same with Universalism (I sorely wish could be true).
Well, I don't know if you are technically on the dot on all of your analyses. I'm an atheist and I'm not ready to concede that there is nothing after life. There are things that humankind do not know. One of these things is what happens after death, or for that matter, What exactly is life?

As for the Christian/Muslim view, do they really have most of their dearly departed going to "hell". Heck, I think those 9/11 terrorists were rewarded with a busload of virgins. Even if they were ugly virgins, that wouldn't be as bad as the traditional concept of hell.

And as far as the New Age stuff goes, you seem to discount their view of an afterlife for really no good reason. No they are not traditional religions, but why should that matter? I think those religions try to give some spiritual comfort, but isn't that what most religions do? I remember one time when I was a kid, I went with my dad to the airport. There were Hare Krishnas there banging on tambourines. After we passed by them, my father said, "Look at those poor fools wasting their lives on that silly religion." I was about fifteen years old and I responded with, "Yeah, those Krishnas are wasting their lives on their religion... but Catholic nuns are rightous."

Old 12-26-2010, 07:41 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I couldn't imagine spending eternity as a cheerleader for a God with low self-esteem.
That's an interesting statement, for sure. Thank heavens that the picture most have of God is not the slightest bit true.....he is not a monster and does not need us to be his "cheerleaders" or boost his ego.

He is a loving God, true to His Word, that He has a plan for ALL of us to be reconciled to Him. He doesn't need us, we need HIM!! We've needed Him all along even though there are a lot of people who don't recognize that or even acknowledge that He exists but that's okay, he has a plan for them too.

It's called Universal Reconciliation, and it's His will and His plan as stated in His Word.

1 Timothy 2:3-5

3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't find it empty and scary at all. Life is great, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it, and not spend every day in fear and waste my life away thinking I have to deny myself in order to maybe qualify for an afterlife.
I totally agree with you, Mercury. If you were a preacher giving this sermon, I would be the one in the audience jumping up and down screaming, "Amen, Brother, Amen".

Old 12-26-2010, 08:04 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
That's an interesting statement, for sure. Thank heavens that the picture most have of God is not the slightest bit true.....he is not a monster and does not need us to be his "cheerleaders" or boost his ego.

He is a loving God, true to His Word, that He has a plan for ALL of us to be reconciled to Him. He doesn't need us, we need HIM!! We've needed Him all along even though there are a lot of people who don't recognize that or even acknowledge that He exists but that's okay, he has a plan for them too.

It's called Universal Reconciliation, and it's His will and His plan as stated in His Word.

1 Timothy 2:3-5

3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
According to the bible, he's a jealous God who created an entire species of being for the purpose of praising him.

That's kind of sick.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
According to the bible, he's a jealous God who created an entire species of being for the purpose of praising him.

That's kind of sick.
Context is everything and quite honestly I have trouble with the way the Old Testament has been interpreted by most. Speaking of God being jealous, that had to do with people worshiping other gods, not that he's jealous like a little school girl. I'm not sure that jealous is even the right word, could be mistranslated. A lot of the Bible has been mistranslated and misinterpreted.

I can't argue with you on these points per se because it is what the Bible "says" as it is translated. I just don't think, imo, that the OT represents the one true GOD. But that's a subject for another thread.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:

That's kind of sick.
Why wouldn't we praise him?? He created us and look at all these wonderful blessing he provided for us. The landscapes and plains he provided for us. The food he provided for us to eat. The animals he provided for us for companions and food. The stars, planets, and galaxies for us to gaze at to light the earth at night. We have so many blessings in life! Why wouldn't you praise him?! If God created us to praise him, I would gladly praise him for an eternity!! I mean, wow! He's like the dad that spoils us rotten with so many blessings that we have here on Earth! I don't care what reason I was created for! The point is, I'm here, and that's more than enough thanks! Thanks God!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality