Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM

668 posts, read 682,135 times

Advertisements

I've always thought reincarnation made the most sense. I actually thought about since I was 5 years old and my babysitter died. I also had a few minor flashbacks, starting at a young age. Haven't had any in years.

Many of you think the concept of reincarnation is bizarre, but it is a belief shared by over 2 billion people. When I was heavily involved in church I couldn't get used to the fact that some people were born in nice Christian homes and had life easy, while others were born as ragpickers who often had to steal to survive, and the only religions around were non-Christian ones.

People are not born on equal footing so to speak.

Eastern philosophies answer that question. They believe that life is like a school and your mission is to reduce negative karma in order to eventually gain enlightenment. The circumstances that you are born with, are dictated by your actions during your previous life. Whether you are a Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Pagan, doesn't matter so much as self improvement and getting rid of excess karma (consider karma to be sin residue or something). Most Eastern philosophies are far more accepting of other's religious beliefs than Christians are.

I think as a Christian and have studied the bible more than any other religious book, therefore I choose to seek enlightenment thru a Christian perspective.

Reincarnation can also be explained scientifically: matter never dies it just gets transformed forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
I've always thought reincarnation made the most sense. I actually thought about since I was 5 years old and my babysitter died. I also had a few minor flashbacks, starting at a young age. Haven't had any in years.

Many of you think the concept of reincarnation is bizarre, but it is a belief shared by over 2 billion people. When I was heavily involved in church I couldn't get used to the fact that some people were born in nice Christian homes and had life easy, while others were born as ragpickers who often had to steal to survive, and the only religions around were non-Christian ones.

People are not born on equal footing so to speak.

Eastern philosophies answer that question. They believe that life is like a school and your mission is to reduce negative karma in order to eventually gain enlightenment. The circumstances that you are born with, are dictated by your actions during your previous life. Whether you are a Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Pagan, doesn't matter so much as self improvement and getting rid of excess karma (consider karma to be sin residue or something). Most Eastern philosophies are far more accepting of other's religious beliefs than Christians are.

I think as a Christian and have studied the bible more than any other religious book, therefore I choose to seek enlightenment thru a Christian perspective.

Reincarnation can also be explained scientifically: matter never dies it just gets transformed forever.
I do find the concept to be fascinating, and it even makes sense, but the Bible IMO makes it clear that this is not true. However, I will say this: my ex-girlfriend's mom used to tell us stories about how when she was a toddler she was irrationally afraid of men in uniform and would have dreams about a war with bombings and mass genocide. A symbol was on the flags and the arms of the soldiers, and when she got older she realized one day that the symbol from her dreams was the Nazi swaztika. I had no reason to disbelieve her, she and I got along well and she was always truthful in every other matter. She thought that she was someone who died in the concentration camps.

Again, just relating a personal story here.

One thing I have mentioned before is that I believe that karma is a universal spiritual truth, it just goes by a different name in the eastern religions. In the Bible it's called reaping and sowing!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,336 times
Well, I think you guys know my thoughts on that!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:43 AM

My only strong recollection happened when I was 5 and going to a modern Catholic church (probably to the sitters funeral). While walking down the hall the walls turned in to old stone walls and I a vision of being in the inside of a 10th century monastery, complete with monk robes, gregorian chants, and everything else. Maybe I was a poor monk in some past life. I didn't see images that that until I hitchhiked around Europe at age 19, the visions came back crystal clear what I had seen. At age 5 I had no idea.

But my belief in reincarnation is more due to the questions I had about the ragpickers, then possible visions of a 5 year old.

I did think up the concept of reincarnation as a child and mentioned it to my older sister. She thought it made sense. She wanted to come back as a horse.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:44 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
And they would be...ix-nay, I imagine! Again I see it as logical and all but IMO the Bible says no, so...

Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Yes, and since you seem to live a very positive life, I think you will be just fine in the next one.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
One thing I have mentioned before is that I believe that karma is a universal spiritual truth, it just goes by a different name in the eastern religions. In the Bible it's called reaping and sowing!
Yes, I also thought about "sowing and reaping," Jeff!

In general, from a Christian perspective, I don't think there is anything in the Bible that would be at all compatible with reincarnation. The primary scripture I think about which speaks to this is Hebrews 9:27 "...as it is appointed unto men once to die, after this the judgment:" NASB If you further look at the teachings of Jesus, it is pretty clear that He didn't have in mind any "do overs."

Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
And they would be...ix-nay, I imagine! Again I see it as logical and all but IMO the Bible says no, so...
Does the bible refute reincarnation? Just askin'...

Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,699 times
If I'm to understand reincarnation, in its most basic form, we will come back in a form that is a summation of where we have been and will provide us the means to learn what we need to learn "this time around".

If this is true, though, how does it explain the population explosion we've noticed throughout time. Surely not every new person has an "old soul" that has been reincarnated. There wouldn't have been enough to go around.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
If I'm to understand reincarnation, in its most basic form, we will come back in a form that is a summation of where we have been and will provide us the means to learn what we need to learn "this time around".

If this is true, though, how does it explain the population explosion we've noticed throughout time. Surely not every new person has an "old soul" that has been reincarnated. There wouldn't have been enough to go around.

According to the Hindus there are millions of planets that you have to go through, before attaining enlightenment and Nirvana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality