Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I personally will use any bible you give me...it doesnt matter to me at all. Though I have my favorite, there is indeed truth in all of them....regardless of small differences due to the English translating.
Ths mistranslation that bothers me most is Joseph's, "coat of many colors," actually being, "a coat with sleeves." Kinda takes the wind out of the sails like getting socks for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Ths mistranslation that bothers me most is Joseph's, "coat of many colors," actually being, "a coat with sleeves." Kinda takes the wind out of the sails like getting socks for Christmas.
LOL...I can see your point. But really, neither of those terms effect the ability of that translation to teach you the truth, does it?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Went to the local library. Not a single book on Halloween. I have to go back and see if I can find one from interlibrary loan. Our library is way too small for a town this size, but I haven't forgotten.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:39 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Well we're not going to. The subtlety is that there is an underlying evil spiritual dimension to it. Many don't see, or choose not to recognize it, but it's there none the less. What edification secular or spiritual can come from endorsing this stupid holiday? Think for a moment, children all over the United States on a day (October 31st none the less check out that dates significance) dresses up (being hypercritical see the real definition of that word) in mostly grotesque outfits running around at night. Why at night? Why not during the day? It's teaching our children to embrace grotesqueness, ugliness, evil, etc. It is a "trick" (pardon the pun) of satan to get people used to evil to embrace it as "cool" so that when the real horror comes you wont know what hit you.
YOU ANSWERED SO WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!That is how satan works. People do not see him coming, but he comes.

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-29-2007 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: fixed the quotes

Old 09-29-2007, 06:21 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I remember my father taking me in hand to New England fields in search of the "perfect pumpkin."

I remember...
The scent of hollowed-out pumpkins on their way to becoming glowing orange orbs that effused an effigy of fright only to delight our equally beaming, painted faces as we stared back: apples in hand, candy in mouths, beholding in wonder, and delight...

-How could I deny any child that?
We will be off to find our perfect pumpkin and pick apples from the trees in two weeks...an annual tradition. We will also take a hay ride, go through the corn maze and visit a light hearted haunted house. My kids and dogs will dress up as will my husband and I...I am going to be a princess this year. It's a lot of fun with no more meaning than that. Family traditions and memories of them are what childhood is all about.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:25 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
We will be off to find our perfect pumpkin and pick apples from the trees in two weeks...an annual tradition. We will also take a hay ride, go through the corn maze and visit a light hearted haunted house. My kids and dogs will dress up as will my husband and I...I am going to be a princess this year. It's a lot of fun with no more meaning than that. Family traditions and memories of them are what childhood is all about.

That sounds like so much fun! Question though, what is a light-hearted haunted house? Is it appropriate for the faint at heart? The ill at ease? Seriously though, I've not heard of a light-hearted haunted house. I for one do not do those because I get physically sick in them. I've been known to throw up on a goblin, "Jason" or "Freddy" in my time (even as an adult!). Stuff like that has never been my forte.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
And "trick or treating" "costumes" and every other symbolism associated with that Holiday has a distinct meaning connected to it.
'Trick or Treating' goes back to the ancient Christian tradtion of 'Souling'; People begged, door-to-door, for 'Soul Cakes' (flat, square bread), in exchange for offering up prayers for any dead family members.

The 'costume' aspect was most likely an attempt to 'scare away' any ghosts or spirits that might seek to possess people and homes in the area.

As for the famous 'Jack-o-Lantern'....

Originally, the name 'Jack of the Lantern' referred to a night watchman or a man carrying a lantern. Before then, it described a strange light flickering over the marshes of Ireland, always just out of reach.

There is an Irish legend that speaks of a drunken man named Jack who, after drinking the night away in the pub, was approached by the Devil. the drunk-but-still-quick-witted Jack tricked the Devil: in exchange for one more drink, he offered up his soul.

The devil changed into a sixpence to pay the bartender, but Jack popped him into a bag with a silver cross, and extracted a promise: the Devil wouldn't come for Jack's soul for another ten years.

Ten years later, the Devil approached Jack on a country road. This time, Jack agreed to give up his soul, as long as the Devil climbed a tree to get an apple for him first. While the Devil was up there, Jack carved a cross in the tree, and made the Devil promise never to take Jack's soul.

As you may imagine, that backfired drastically: when Jack died, he was denied entry to Heaven because of his drinking and the like, and when he went down to Hell, the Devil remembered his promise, and wouldn't take Jack's soul.

Since then, he's been wandering the Earth, carrying a hollow turnip, lit by a coal from the depths of Hell.

Trick or Treating, the Jack-o-Lantern, the costumes: they do all have meaning. Take care, however, because it may not be the meaning you've been taught.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 PM

14 posts, read 82,932 times
Maybe because many Wiccans celebrate Halloween (called Samhain by alot of Wiccans) as a religious holiday. It is a celebration of death (not death in the ghoulish, satanic, fire and brimstone sense death which leads to resurrection, the reflection on departed loved ones, death before rebirth, death of bad habits/ideas, etc..) as a part of the natural cycle of life.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:40 AM

562 posts, read 660,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The American holiday of Halloween has absolutely nothing to do with ancient druidic festivals.

Read this:

Surprise: Halloween's Not a Pagan Festival After All -- Beliefnet.com
That article is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen, and is an outright lie. Just another lie proposed by those who invaded and tried to force others to yield to their religion.

Halloween, or Samhain, is an ancient Celtic holiday which PRE-DATES Christianity. When the Christians invaded, they could not win the hearts, and they certainly couldn't kill everyone. So they invented Christian holidays to try to get the locals to win over. It still didn't work. All the Christian holidays you see in modern day were invented. Yes they were invented, and they were invented to be on or within a few days of a Pagan holiday. Samhain is just one. Yule became Christmas... and it goes on.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessD View Post
I recently asked my sisters boyfriend (a non-denominational Christian) if he takes his kids trick-or-treating. He told me "I'm not into that witchcraft stuff". Isn't Halloween a Christian holiday? How is telling ghost stories and dressing up in scary costumes "witchcraft" or "worshiping the devil"? And what do either of those things have to do with each other? This isn't the first time I've heard this argument, so why do some Christians have this view of Halloween?
i dont know what came over me to think that witchcraft was somehow associated with halloween.
i will have to carefully examine myself.
thanks
stephen s
san diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality