Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM

216 posts, read 731,948 times

Advertisements

Please enlighten me, what are the differences between the two??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,623,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabygirl View Post
Please enlighten me, what are the differences between the two??
Which Assembly of God and which Baptists?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 PM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
I attended an Assembly of God church and to this day sort of blend this religon into the likes of
Pentecostal,Church of God and Apostolic. All these faiths are very biblically based, but not unlike
Baptists. A key manifestation of the former three I mentioned seek the infilling of the Holy Spirit
with evidence of speaking in tongues and interpretation of tongues. In addition they perhaps delve
end-times teachings somewhat more intensely than Baptists. Originally baptism was done in the
name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) ,but was later changed (hmmm) to the triune formula (325 ad by
the Council of Nicea (enter "religion"). Anyway the Assembly, C of God and Pentecostals maintain
the earlier method of the disciples giving the real meaning of "the NAME". Baptists and evangelicals
adopted the Matt 28:19 method (missing the whole point of the who the NAME is of the a Father,
Son and HS Jesus was referencing) but religion has a done funny things in history Anyway, they
all immerse , and are all good paths to salvation. I do have issues with Baptists calling themselves
Baptists in title while being ridiculously and irresonsibly clueless about baptism (an oxymoron in
the hightest degree) and personally I'm really scratching my head and surprised as Baptists are so
blessed with biblical truths. All of the above except evangelicals have a set dogma,national head-
quarters, a charter and written in stone practices ,which can be restrictive if suddenly the masses have a revelation that could create chaos,and a "stop that practice" from headquarters. Thats how religion rolls. If you end up in a Baptist church or Assembly you'll be fine, I'm inclined to suggest
the Assembly as they are not as sequestered in their views of outside denominations,evangelists
TV preachers (the googd ones) as are Baptist friends whole wear blinders to an extent that bothers me and tend to be protective of their exclusivity of truths (held only by them.) It's scary.

In Christ

Das

Last edited by DASULAR17; 01-14-2011 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 AM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Having been raised in one of the churches that is now part of the Assemblies of God, and later becoming a Southern Baptist, I can say with a fair amount of authority that there are several differences. Of course, as the previous poster said, the details will differ when making comparisons between different branches and factions of both denominations.

First and foremost, the Assemblies of God are very fundamental Protestant, Pentecostal churches, and they do proselytize world-wide. They do not think women should wear makeup, and believe that dancing of any kind is a sin. Alcoholic beverages are a major no-no. As Pentecostals, they believe in "speaking in tongues", a fact that is often demonstrated in church services and revivals. All of them believe that one who has been saved can "backslide" into sin again, and have to be re-saved, etc. Their pastors and congregations are a good bit more, ah, vociferous during church services and revivals (including the previously-mentioned "speaking in tongues.") They are also convinced that their way is the only "true" way, with predictable consequences regarding their views of other denominations and religions.

The Southern Baptists are rather more moderate, though they do proselytize a lot - often far more than the Assemblies of God. They also believe that dancing is a sin, but don't come down as hard on this as the Assemblies of God. They are generally much more tolerant of women wearing a little makeup; in fact, most do. Alcohol is also a no-no, but again they are a bit less stringent than the Assemblies of God. Southern Baptists, as a general rule, do NOT believe in "speaking in tongues". They believe in once saved, always saved (though one may have to rededicate one's life after going off the straight and narrow). Church services are a good bit quieter and more reserved than those in the Assemblies of God.

Hope this helps. Again, this compares the Assemblies of God churches that I know and have attended with the Southern Baptist churches that I know and have attended. Since there is a fair amount of "diversity" in the styles, particulars and practices within both denominations (e.g. Billy Graham and the late Jerry Falwell, though quite different, are both Baptist), other pairings are likely to deliver somewhat different findings.

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 01-15-2011 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-15-2011, 01:29 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
The main difference is that the Assembly believes in the "Gifts of the Spirit". Healing, Prophecy and most evident in their services, speaking in tongues. The baptists don't believe those exist anymore as they once did. Assembly of God is alot bigger on demon possession and things that would be considered more fringe relative to the mainstream.

Culturally the Assemblies are much more insular than Baptists. Assembly people are more likely to be poor or working middle class types with most of their wealthier members being people who made their money in some type of business catering to the middle class.

Baptists have some of that but in general are more diverse. More upper middle class, more professional degreed type people. Baptists are more mainstream than Assembly people but tend to be very conservative.

As far their worship services are concerned, Baptist services are much more staid. And Assemblies..............well they don't call them holy rollers for nothin'.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Oh yes, another key difference is (or used to be) that very many -- even most -- ministers in the Assemblies of God are lay ministers, meaning that they have little or no formal theological training. This is generally not true of Southern Baptist ministers, though there are a few exceptions.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
As far as I'm concerned the Pentecostal movement is nothing short of a "Cult", that was started by a bunch of profiteers for momentary purposes only.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
As far as I'm concerned the Pentecostal movement is nothing short of a "Cult", that was started by a bunch of profiteers for momentary purposes only.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, and some even have two.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
That's right, and I believe in exercising that right to my opinion .. I grew up going to a Assembly of God church and as a child I had no idea what brain washing was all about. But now that I'm in my 50's, I can see now how and what methods they employed to do their dirty work.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
That's right, and I believe in exercising that right to my opinion .. I grew up going to a Assembly of God church and as a child I had no idea what brain washing was all about. But now that I'm in my 50's, I can see now how and what methods they employed to do their dirty work.
Then we are two of a kind -- sort of (and btw I'm in my middle 60's). One thing you need to know is that my maternal grandfather was a State Overseer (later Bishop) in a denomination that is now part of the Assemblies of God. His goal, from deep personal experience, was not that of what you call brainwashing.

FWIW,

-- Nighteyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality