Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times

Advertisements

I have long suspected that Religion is an anchor to any civilization, it keeps them in their place, a static existence, and impedes any forward progress. I also suspect that any glowing triumphs mankind has achieved has been done in spite of religion. It is mankinds ability to rise above superstition that affords us our achievements. An anchor is not necessarily a good thing, a ship that stays chained to a rock or the sea floor, does not go anywhere. Our religions anchor tells us "NO, don't move, don't learn!!" It is time to cast off the chains of spiritual and intellectual slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I have long suspected that Religion is an anchor to any civilization, it keeps them in their place, a static existence, and impedes any forward progress. I also suspect that any glowing triumphs mankind has achieved has been done in spite of religion. It is mankinds ability to rise above superstition that affords us our achievements. An anchor is not necessarily a good thing, a ship that stays chained to a rock or the sea floor, does not go anywhere. Our religions anchor tells us "NO, don't move, don't learn!!" It is time to cast off the chains of spiritual and intellectual slavery.

Moderator cut: edit/off topic Hey Dusty, I love the analogy and you're correct organized religion is like an anchor around your neck, always holding you down....

Last edited by june 7th; 01-22-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,489 times
Organized religion has it's mainstream and it's radical decisions for 'neighbourly love and trust'. That makes it an alternative to politics; I prefer actually an improved in immediacy of one's being alternative.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
It's a good simile. One could regard it as an analogy of a way of preventing the vessel from going exploring or a way of keeping it from being swept out of harbour onto the rocks.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
an anchor also holds you down in a storm, keeps you from getting whiped around in a storm. I've often been told that is the whole purpose of religion and tradition.

I personally am against organized religion but I don't think the anchor analogy can be considered without the other side to the argument.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:07 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,630 times
Yes, religion certainly is an anchor. It is one that some people like to tie around their necks before jumping into the realm of intellectual discourse.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,862 times
I have heard it called an anchor, a yoke, and slave master. I think they all fit. The advances you discussed are also seen today. The countries with the happiest citizens also seem to be the countries with better incomes, higher education levels, and highest rate of Atheism, Norway and Denmark being two of them. I think you made a good analogy of religion being the anchor holding humanity back.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:44 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
When a ship doesn't want to move, it drops anchor.

Religion sailed into the bay [mod deleted [/mod]and dropped a great big anchor. The anchor is so big it can never be raised, and the chain so strong it can never be severed, thus forever stuck in the bay Moderator cut: deleted

The only escape is to get off the ship and head for the open waters of free thought.

Last edited by june 7th; 01-22-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 03:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
I guess I prefer keeping your problems at home to spreading it to new undiscovered territory and infecting everyone there with our ('modern') problems.

In that regard there is no difference between religion and science.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
The problem with anchoring on a rock is often you cannot move without losing the anchor....Literally I have lost two anchors that way.
If religion is the anchor then perhaps that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality