Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:26 PM

11 posts, read 13,512 times

Advertisements

for those who preach to others ?
what if your beliefs are wrong, have you ever been humbled before and thought perhaps you are wrong?
just curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
No what if...I HAVE been wrong.

Looking back over my decade or so of teaching Sunday School, I can see now that some of the things I taught early on were not quite right because I did not then have the understanding I have now.

I suppose that's a common problem for any teacher and all I can do is trust that God's purposes were fulfilled in spite of my lack of knowledge and understanding.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
Your post made me think of a song by Fernando Ortega that I think is beautiful (most of his songs are wonderful)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCtZf45fvoU

In a world where there are so many voices and many of them saying terrible things, I just have to hold onto the beauty of Christ that shined into my heart to set me free. If I could make everyone see, well then the world would be a brighter place. But we have to wait for the day when we all come together in the unity of faith and till the darkness passes away.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
Love, you need to read a good poem by Rudyard Kipling.

Here is a poem about a man who did things that he later thought had offended god. The last stanza tells what god said.

Poetry Lovers' Page - Rudyard Kipling: Evarra And His Gods

Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
As a lover of poetry, when someone mentions Rudyard Kipling, I always think of my favorite poem by him, The Glory of the Garden ....
Poetry Lovers' Page - Rudyard Kipling: The Glory of the Garden

To address the OP - there is a scriptural warning to those who desire to be teachers: My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. James 3:1

Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
what if your beliefs are wrong, have you ever been humbled before and thought perhaps you are wrong?
just curious
It's my belief that God is far more merciful than most people give Him credit for being. I believe that He values personal integrity very highly and expects each and every one of us to live according to our beliefs. Whether I'm right or whether someone else is right, I believe that God will take the condition of our hearts into account when we stand before Him to be judged.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,498,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
just curious
That is why Jesus strongly advises:
Luke 13:24
“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. "
When it comes time to be judged....God doesn't accept good intentions. A person will need to be holy\perfect in His sight.

Hebrews 12:14
[ Warning Against Refusing God ] Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times

"Many claim to be humble, and are proud of it."

Old 01-23-2011, 03:29 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That is why Jesus strongly advises:
Luke 13:24
“Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. "
When it comes time to be judged....God doesn't accept good intentions. A person will need to be holy\perfect in His sight.
Hebrews 12:14
[ Warning Against Refusing God ] Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.
Yes, but your holiness is nothing of your own doing. None of us can ever become "holy" enough to enter God's presence on our own. That's why we must rely in the substitutionary holiness of Christ.

We do not become holy and, in fact can't become holy, but God in His infinite love and grace is willing to designate us a holy based upon our acceptance of Christ. It is the only way He will do so.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
"Many claim to be humble, and are proud of it."

Let true Christians with suitable earnestness strive to recommend their faith in everything, and to silence the idle gibes of ignorant objectors. Let them vindicate boldly the cause of Christ in an age when so many who bear the name of Christians are ashamed of Him. - William Wilberforce

Quote:
all I can do is trust that God's purposes were fulfilled in spite of my lack of knowledge and understanding.
God knows the heart and those who truly seek Him in truth and spirit... He will accomplish His will according to His word regardless of our, as you say "our lack of knowledge and understanding"......

Isaiah 55:11
So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality