Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:52 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,773,298 times

Advertisements

I'm not well educated on the bible, but I get asked this by people who want to downplay God because they read in the old testament that he'd command people to throw rocks at people who did wrong or he'd have the nerve to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah rather than forgive them....yet in the new testament it would say "love your enemies and don't kill them"....

I do know the new testament was about Jesus's time and Jesus was the sent savior or god in the flesh. I figured maybe it was because the old testament was about how God was before he sent Jesus and then when Jesus came, they wrote the new testament and the old testament sort of became obsolete.

I don't know though....perhaps someone could clarify why we have an old testament and a new testament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 10:24 AM

88,520 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'm not well educated on the bible, but I get asked this by people who want to downplay God because they read in the old testament that he'd command people to throw rocks at people who did wrong or he'd have the nerve to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah rather than forgive them....yet in the new testament it would say "love your enemies and don't kill them"....

I do know the new testament was about Jesus's time and Jesus was the sent savior or god in the flesh. I figured maybe it was because the old testament was about how God was before he sent Jesus and then when Jesus came, they wrote the new testament and the old testament sort of became obsolete.

I don't know though....perhaps someone could clarify why we have an old testament and a new testament?
It's another word for covenant. The old testament or covenant refers to writings relevant to God's covenant with the Hebrews/Jews via Moses. The new testament refers to writings relevant to God's covenant with everybody via Jesus Christ. It's a Christian term--obviously Jewish people aren't going to refer to their sacred writings as "the Old Testament". Non-religious people can regard it as a cateogorization term for two parts of piece of literature.

That's pretty much the basic. Not trying to defend anything here one way or the other, just answering the question.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,128 times
Because they are two entirely different fantasy novels that have been (quite unsuccessfully) woven together with duct tape and chicken wire..

The OT god is a vengeful, warmongering unmerciful tyrant because originally, Yahweh was the god of war serving in a group of gods under the head god, EL. He's basically a distillation of Yahweh and several earlier gods of the region with nasty personality traits.

The Jesus character was based on Mithras and a dozen other earlier savior/redeemer/son of god cults

If the Biblical god were real, and was indeed the "all-knowing, unchanging, ultimate source of law and morality" then there would be no need for an old and new testament. Nor would the Bible be as hopelessly flawed and contradictory as it is.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
It is offensive to traditional Jews to use the term "Old Testament" as this indicates that the Bible has been replaced or superseded (supersessionism) by a "New Testament", the Christian Bible.

Traditional Judaism does not accept that the Bible, or if you prefer, the Jewish Bible, has been replaced or superseded by the Christian Bible.

According to Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses and there will be no other Torah (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith).

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Why do we have the old testament and the new testament?

The old testament was plan A, the new testament is plan B, they really need a Plan C, but first they have to write something that makes good sense----may take a while!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

The old testament was plan A, the new testament is plan B, they really need a Plan C, but first they have to write something that makes good sense----may take a while!

Well then I guess the qur'an is plan c because they believe it supercedes both the previous books.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:29 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,968,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's another word for covenant. The old testament or covenant refers to writings relevant to God's covenant with the Hebrews/Jews via Moses. The new testament refers to writings relevant to God's covenant with everybody via Jesus Christ. It's a Christian term--obviously Jewish people aren't going to refer to their sacred writings as "the Old Testament". Non-religious people can regard it as a cateogorization term for two parts of piece of literature.

That's pretty much the basic. Not trying to defend anything here one way or the other, just answering the question.

The reason for the Old Testament was to show the world that the works of the law always failed and no one could fulfill the requirement. Also the Old Testament stated that God would send a man who would die for the sin of the world. And who ever followed Him would have a covering for their sin. This man would be known by His fulfillment of the 300 prophecies found in the Old Testament.

The New Testament revealed the man the Old Testament spoke about. Jesus Christ fulfilled the 300 prophecies, and thus was the man the Old Testament pointed to. And according to the Old Testament His own people, the Jewish people. Would reject Him.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well then I guess the qur'an is plan c because they believe it supercedes both the previous books.

The quran comes from a false belief that perverts the Biblical account. And in fact was written about a 1,000 years after the Bible. Both the Old and New Testament are in harmony. The quran is way out in left field.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

The Old Testament and New Testament are in agreement. We are right on the Biblical time table. Especially now that Israel has been reborn as a nation. Any plan C. does not come from God. And is placed there to confuse and mislead the people of earth.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I'm not well educated on the bible...yet in the new testament it would say "love your enemies and don't kill them"....
Apparently you haven't read all of the NT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality