Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,916 times

Advertisements

I wanted to bring this topic up again as it seems the original thread just sort of fell by the wayside. I didn't post much at all in that thread as I was way behind everyone else in reading the book and am just now finishing the last couple of chapters.

I want to know everyone's opinions about the book as a whole. Has it changed your mind about the way we worship? Are you finding it difficult to go to your church on Sunday morning and sit in the sanctuary and basically continue to do what you've always done? I know I certainly am. If you feel as I do, that it might be time to re-evaluate the way you've always "done church" what (if anything) are you going to do about it?

What about the idea that a lot of our church doctrine (& positions that we as Christians hold) is based on proof texting? I had never heard this term before and am really interested in doing more research on it. It's obvious to me that many, many people on this board use this very method to try to prove that their POV on a certain issue is the correct one.

So tell me your thoughts please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I did finish the book snd waited for others to catch up before I went on and posted my final thoughts.. As I said many times in the thread..The book only confirmed what I have been thinking for many years. I actually dropped out of mainstream "church" several years for those and other reasons..I have also read his book "The Untold Story of the Early Church" He goes through Pauls letters in chronological order along with the Acts..It makes it much more clear since the epistles are arranged by length instead of date written..He adds a lot of historical references too..Great book I am researching in this area to see if there are any "home " gatherings..I was happy to finally know that I was not alone in what I was so concerned about how mans rules and desire to be entertained, or to have a human leader or head of their worship service had actually buried the early church that was so faithfully planted by the desciples with the approval of God..Man has supressed the use of the gifts given to each of us that are to be used in the gathering of worshippers..Instead ,in my case the preacher and elders assigned gifts, which were never mentioned by the desciples..

Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
If there is one word to describe the book, I would say "an appetizer".. not a full-course meal.

As I mentioned in the thread, even tho I didn't agree entirely with all the points, the author brought out many good points and pointed out essential NTC practices and life-methods that are sadly lacking in modern-day Christiandom today, but it's not the whole picture. It's just a little part... it just gives you a taste!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:33 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
It was a good book! Like it has been said, it is, "an appetizer".
And I have found myself so desiring and a stirring for the whole menu of what the NTC experienced and held in their hearts.
A lot of it seems to be a foreshadow of what is going to come for the true church. Worshipping God in spirit and truth!!!
I have been experiencing somethings spiritually deeper since I have read this book and what it pointed out about true worship.
All I can say is it has began something in my heart and know that what I sense it is something that is going to come to pass.

I received an email from Frank Voila website the other day and he has a sequel book coming out this August called, "Reimagining Church". But through their website you can get it now.

Here's a piece of the email they sent to me:

I'm pleased to announce the release of my new book, Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity. So much of my heart is tied up in this volume. As the constructive sequel to Pagan Christianity, Reimagining Church seeks to paint a picture of what church can and (in my judgment) should be. The book roots the spiritual principles of church life in the New Testament and in the nature of God Himself. It also contains stories and practical examples.
In Jeremiah 1:10, we read: "I have this day set thee . . . to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant."
Pagan Christianity was never meant to be a book that stands alone. Rather, it is the first part of a fuller argument. To borrow language from Jeremiah, it's the part that seeks to "root out, pull down, destroy, and throw down." Reimagining Church is the second part of the argument, and it begins the process of "building and planting."

Blessing to you all!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Gang, I know I dropped the ball in the book thread but I am not done yet. I do hope we can continue the discussion on the book even though most of you guys have moved on I think.

Sorry.

Real life got the best of me and has kept me away from more in-depth posting lately.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Gang, I know I dropped the ball in the book thread but I am not done yet. I do hope we can continue the discussion on the book even though most of you guys have moved on I think.

Sorry.

Real life got the best of me and has kept me away from more in-depth posting lately.
I'd be glad to pick it up again!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM

Me too, because this book and some of the others written by Viola have really opened up a whole new train of thought for myself, and I feel that I really am on to something here that I have always felt in my heart of hearts about organized religion, and specifically the way we were taught and shown in the early church to worship and build each other up by using our gifts He gave each and every one of us..

Old 07-15-2008, 10:34 AM

599 posts, read 1,260,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I'd be glad to pick it up again!
Awesome! I'm glad to see others who want to continue the discussion on this book. As curly said, it has stirred something up inside of me to want to get the whole meal, rather than just the appetizer that this book was. I will be buying the new book, Reimagining Church, as well.

So, now what do we do with this new information? I got on the website mentioned in the book, House Church Resource - Resources for House Churches and Organic Church Life - Serving the House Church Movement, and sent an email to them letting them know that I am interested in finding out if there are others in my area who want to find a house church. Has anyone else done the same thing? Do you know of house churches that already meet in your area?

I have to say that the thought of leaving my current church makes me very sad as I absolutely love the pastor and the people there. I'm not ready to do that quite yet as I know I need to pray fervently about it first and make sure I know just what the Lord would have me do.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
I have to say that the thought of leaving my current church makes me very sad as I absolutely love the pastor and the people there. I'm not ready to do that quite yet as I know I need to pray fervently about it first and make sure I know just what the Lord would have me do.
I agree Deb, one should pray, pray and pray before dropping out of a church that they are satisfied with..One has to ask himself the tough questions and wait for the guidance of the spirit..I would ask myself, "What gift do I have, am I free to use it in the gathering" What gifts do the others have that they are not able to share with me and others that could be building their faith and mine too? Are we more concerned with following rules of order, being entertained by the choir? Expecting a well rehearsed sermon to draw us nearer to Him? Approach the communion supper with joy and thankfulness in remembering His sacrifice of dying for our sins?

Since I have already dropped out of organized religion, I am ready to try this..There is only one obstacle that I see to stop me, but I am ready to finally take a stand for myself, for my belief and hopefully for what He desires for me to do..

Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
So, now what do we do with this new information? I got on the website mentioned in the book, House Church Resource - Resources for House Churches and Organic Church Life - Serving the House Church Movement, and sent an email to them letting them know that I am interested in finding out if there are others in my area who want to find a house church. Has anyone else done the same thing? Do you know of house churches that already meet in your area?
I did but haven't heard anything yet.

Have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality