Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:31 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,044,013 times

Advertisements

I have heard more then once from Christians that they believe in Jesus because if they are wrong then they don't have anything to lose if they are wrong...

Are you all really hedging your bets and wouldn't Jesus know you are doing that so if your are right and there is a heaven won't G-d know you were just believing to hedge your bets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Default It's about you, not Christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have heard more then once from Christians that they believe in Jesus because if they are wrong then they don't have anything to lose if they are wrong...

Are you all really hedging your bets and wouldn't Jesus know you are doing that so if your are right and there is a heaven won't G-d know you were just believing to hedge your bets?
Christians aren't hedging 'their' bets. As you point out, God sees and knows the heart and there is no advantage to only a pretense.

Christians use the 'hedging' arguement to try to get non-believers to recognize that there is far greater danger in clinging to a Christless belief, than simple theological or religious error.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Christians aren't hedging 'their' bets. As you point out, God sees and knows the heart and there is no advantage to only a pretense.

Christians use the 'hedging' arguement to try to get non-believers to recognize that there is far greater danger in clinging to a Christless belief, than simple theological or religious error.

So there is a "far greater danger to clinging to a Christian belief"?
I agree there is a great danger in saying you believe something just to try to be on the right theological side....... like I said hedging your bets...

The Christians I have heard say this just want to make sure they get to heaven.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
Jazzy - this is akin to Pascal's wager and is debated and refuted. Bottom line, from my viewpoint, if there is a god, he knows you have believed in him merely to decieve him and that is not good. If there is no god, no problems -we are all dust, but have wasted our lives living in fear or false hope.

Here is are atheist-leaning articles on this:

Pascal's Wager: Is it Safer to Bet on God than Not?

Pascal's Wager Refuted

I also think there was a thread on CD on this a while back....

Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:

I think that many of the rank and file believer would admit to such a view. The more rabid or fundamental the believer not so much, and even if they did feel that way, getting them to admit it is a different story.

The more rabid or visceral the denial, the more I am suspicious, proven time and time again by the raging homo haters that are eventually outed as closet homosexuals.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

So, Christians want us to hedge our bets? How does that make sense? If God knows the heart and would know that we are only hedging our bets - why would a Christian want that for us?

Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I think that many of the rank and file believer would admit to such a view. The more rabid or fundamental the believer not so much, and even if they did feel that way, getting them to admit it is a different story.

The more rabid or visceral the denial, the more I am suspicious, proven time and time again by the raging homo haters that are eventually outed as closet homosexuals.

I really believe most Christians believe what they do because they are brainwashed and afraid to believe anything else.... Hell is a powerful thing to fear.. I believe those that are either atheist or believe something else that doesn't have a salvation/condemned senrio actually do think about what they believe or don't believe....

Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
I really believe most Christians believe what they do because they are brainwashed and afraid to believe anything else.... Hell is a powerful thing to fear.. I believe those that are either atheist or believe something else that doesn't have a salvation/condemned senrio actually do think about what they believe or don't believe....
Agree, fear is the true power of christianity, a seed planted by the brainwashing of religious programming, but if they were honest, I suspect many would say they have doubts, but the fear of hell has a stronger hold on their mind than reason. I can't believe that the 70% or what ever the percentage is actually buys into the hoax 100%. If I'm wrong in that assumption, we (society) are in greater danger from mankind destroying itself over a superstition than estimated.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:

Are you all really hedging your bets?

EVEN THOUGH I posted something similar on another thread, the answer is "no".

I believe in Christ as my savior because it is impossible for me not to believe.

I don't want to go to hell because I don't want to separated from God for all eternity. It is not out of fear, except for fear that I would be without God. Like I wouldn't want to be without water in the desert.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
EVEN THOUGH I posted something similar on another thread, the answer is "no".

I believe in Christ as my savior because it is impossible for me not to believe.

I don't want to go to hell because I don't want to separated from God for all eternity. It is not out of fear, except for fear that I would be without God. Like I wouldn't want to be without water in the desert.
And I am connected to G-d as a Jew and it is impossible for me to be anything other then what I am.... To be different would be like i had lost my home... This is the essence of what I am.....When I die my body will go back to dust and my soul will be connected again from where it came to G-d.... Simple as that .... There is no heaven or hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality