Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting article in BBC news.
BBC News - Religion to become extinct, says model of census data

Quote:
A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.
The data reflect a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.
As the number of believers falls in this country, can you see this happening here also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
I doubt religion will become extinct in this country any time soon, just because religion encompasses so many different types of spirituality.

With all the scientific evidence accumulating against a literal interpretation of the Bible (no worldwide flood with two of every land animals on an ark, the age of the earth, DNA and fossil evidence in support of evolution, etc), I have got to think that a literal belief in the Bible will fall off except among the most extreme fundamentalists.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 PM

460 posts, read 593,193 times
There will always be religion.

[SIZE=4]re·li·gion[/SIZE]

–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

—Idiom 9. get religion, Informal . a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.

b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products

Origin:
1150–1200; Middle English religioun (< Old French religion ) < Latin religiōn- (stem of religiō ) conscientiousness, piety, equivalent to relig ( āre ) to tie, fasten ( re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; compare ligament) + -iōn- -ion; compare rely

And then there is the definition I prefer: the way one lives one's life.

We may eliminate the supernatural; but then we will have to eliminate much of our folklore and fantasy, which will take out much of the salt of life.

We have already witnessed attempts by societies to wipe out organized religion, only to be replaced by something else. Russia created a state religion. North Korea has created a religion based on the trinity of Kim Il Sung, Kim Jong Il, and Chu che (self-reliance). Societies have created religions around one particular individual, such as a king.

So, even though we may one day be able to rid ourselves of this "God-in-the-sky," which will be a good trick since that philosophy has been around for at least 6,000 years (that we know of), we will not be able to get rid of religion altogether. For a short time, the Beatles were gods, Michael Jackson was a god, and as long as we have insipid programs like American Idol, we will always be creating new gods to build a religion around.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post

We may eliminate the supernatural; but then we will have to eliminate much of our folklore and fantasy, which will take out much of the salt of life.
Why do you think this? I don't believe in the supernatural at all, but I enjoy folklore and fantasy very much. Some very entertaining fiction writers are atheists.
Something doesn't need to be real to add some zip to life.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,994 times
I can see a decline in religion happening, but I don't necessarily equate it to a decline in spirituality. The term "religion" to me conjures ideas of rules and regulations that limit the relationship between an individual and God and that are man made and wholly false ideology created to control other human beings and establish power. On the whole, religious philosophy is arrogant, and seperate from theistic philosophy in very many ways.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:37 PM

460 posts, read 593,193 times
Sizzly Friddle,

I may have been a bit quick to make my statement. And, I am sure that I have been influenced by a number of posters (including all the forums I read) who have biased me into a collective desire to rid society of everything supernatural (including Santa Claus, elves, demons, goblins, et al).

I just finished my children's fantasy (the first book) and am peddling it to find a publisher. I would hate to be in a world where I would not be able to even contemplate that flowers talk to me and there are magical (i.e., supernatural) creatures at work behind the scenes.

It is interesting that the supernatural creature known as a gnome was a term [SIZE=3]invented by the 16th-century Swiss alchemist Paracelsus. And this guy was no off-the-wall dreamer.

Paracelsus
(born Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim, 11 November or 17 December 1493 in Einsiedeln – 24 September 1541 in Salzburg) was a Renaissance physician, botanist, alchemist, astrologer, and general occultist.[1] "Paracelsus", meaning "equal to or greater than Celsus", refers to the Roman encyclopedist Aulus Cornelius Celsus from the 1st century known for his tract on medicine.[2][3] He is also credited for giving zinc its name, calling it zincum[4] and is regarded as the first systematic botanist.[5][/SIZE]

Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 PM

18 posts, read 23,543 times
People have start making their own rules for life but they cannot decline the presence of some supernatural force in this world. How the system of world is working, who is hanging day into night, who is making life and death ...Many question remain unanswered if you neglect supernatural powers.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
I doubt we will ever be rid of it, too many gullible people, I just wish it would lose its' tax free status.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Once again, the Europeans are way ahead of us.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
I do not believe religion is becoming extinct, I think it is evolving as we better understand the world/universe that we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality