Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This came up on another thread. My question is simply this: Have you ever seen anything personally that you would classify as a "miracle?" This doesn't have to be something of the scope and magnitude of "parting the Red Sea" or "raising the dead," ok. But I am wanting us to define "miracle" as at least something that clearly went beyond the scope of what would be expected to happen in the natural. (i.e.-let's not talk about the birth of a child as a miracle, a rainbow or any other natural phenomenon)

Do you believe miracles are possible? If so, why? If not, why not?
No. Nothing that happens is truly supernatural or a "miracle". We just don't necessarily have a scientific explanation for it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Science and God do not have to be at different ends of the belief spectrum. God does not require we understand all things perfectly. He does expect us to be seekers ( in truth and knowledge) and scienctists are seekers. However when science's main objective is to "disprove" something and has an "agenda" that science is in fact corrupt. Science should seek to know other wise it isn't science.
The concept of 'Falsifiability ' is a very important one in scientific study. Essentially, a study must prove that an assertion can be shown false by an observer.

According to the example in Wikipedia, 'All men are mortal' is unfalsifiable, since there is no way to demonstrate its falsehood: that one or more men can live forever. Saying 'All men are immortal', however, is falsifiable; by presenting even one dead body, you've immediately proven that all men are not, in fact, immortal.

Science isn't 'corrupt' by trying to disprove something, nor does it have an 'agenda'; it seeks answers, using a logical and precise methodology.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:10 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
No. Nothing that happens is truly supernatural or a "miracle". We just don't necessarily have a scientific explanation for it yet.
Why cannot God and science coeexist? God is the greatest scientist ever.
There are so many examples of people who have been healed from serious illness or disease that is entirely beyond scientific explanation. I myself was, what I consider to be miraculously healed from a very serious illness that in the majority of cases ended up in either the person being a vegetable for the rest of their life or death.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Why cannot God and science coeexist? God is the greatest scientist ever.
There are so many examples of people who have been healed from serious illness or disease that is entirely beyond scientific explanation. I myself was, what I consider to be miraculously healed from a very serious illness that in the majority of cases ended up in either the person being a vegetable for the rest of their life or death.
Sorry. I have never seen any evidence for anything supernatural. There are merely things that science will explain at a later date.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Sorry. I have never seen any evidence for anything supernatural. There are merely things that science will explain at a later date.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Science is limited by our own human limitations. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that nothing 'scientific' saved my son.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way. Science is limited by our own human limitations. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that nothing 'scientific' saved my son.
You feel sorry for me...I feel sorry for you...we're just one big happy family here. And how would you know that there is no scientific explanation for your experience? Are you perfectly educated in some advanced scientific field?

Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
And how would you know that there is no scientific explanation for your experience?
Based on all the "best scientific minds" who examined his case. They are the ones educated in this field and they had no explanation. BTW, sill don't either. His doctor even calls him his 'little miracle'. I know that doesn't count for much to you, or many others. But I know what's true, even if others don't.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:50 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Felt like I needed to share this one, not first hand, but learned this through my Aunt and then later my uncle.

Uncle has a heart attack, revived 3 times w/paddles. Into hospital and is in a coma. NO brain activity so they give him 72hrs as the brain will sometimes go into a deep "sleep" during somthing this traumatic. 8hrs before the plug is to be pulled, he comes to. Breathing on his own and his heart working on its own. Amazing, the Dr.'s were right. A few days later he slips back into this coma, no activity, Dr.'s say this isn't good at all. Machines doing everything for him. No activity for 72hrs, wait for family to get there and say good-bye. 12hrs later(84hrs) he comes to and is doing fantastic today(this happened in Nov of '07. Only problem is a little bit of memory loss. He also said he had that before, he said "I am 68yrs old ya know, I couldn't remember things before this happened." When my aunt hugged the Dr. he said, "Hey it wasn't me, it was all him." as he pointed up. Dr said there is no explanation for him being alive and doing so well. "I've never seen anything like this in my life."

Yes, could be explained in 5,10,20yr from now. But it sure is amazing.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:28 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This came up on another thread. My question is simply this: Have you ever seen anything personally that you would classify as a "miracle?" This doesn't have to be something of the scope and magnitude of "parting the Red Sea" or "raising the dead," ok. But I am wanting us to define "miracle" as at least something that clearly went beyond the scope of what would be expected to happen in the natural. (i.e.-let's not talk about the birth of a child as a miracle, a rainbow or any other natural phenomenon)

Do you believe miracles are possible? If so, why? If not, why not?
I've experienced a couple of things that could be considered miracles, but I don't like to talk about them because they are very private experiences.

but I'll have to say

Miracles are possible

why? because I've seen them happening, as simple as that.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:21 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
mams wrote:
Quote:
His doctor even calls him his 'little miracle'.
Whatever the case may be I'm glad he's ok. However, I do think that every miracle is just something we don't yet understand. Wouldn't people living in the 1500's consider television a miracle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality