Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,664,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So your are saying that you are merely a sheep falling in line with what you think are the other 98% ( incorrect numbers,by the way...16% of the world's population is now non religious, with half of that number 8% composed of atheist/agnostics) that make up the flock, and I'm the special one....Well thank you. I have never thought that everyone was just like me.... I have dealt with sheep (followers) all my life and know they base their life on what someone else has told them. (Just as you are blindly following Mystic) I prefer to think for myself and lead.
Nope...CORRECT numbers...I didn't say "living now"...I said "EVER lived".

Refer to my last post in this thread.
It's YOU that is one of the "blind"...and I really am sorry about that.
For some reason "blindness" (right-brain deficiency) is epidemic in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Refer to my last post in this thread.
It's YOU that is one of the "blind"...and I really am sorry about that.
For some reason "blindness" (right-brain deficiency) is epidemic in some places.
So that must mean you finally admit that atheism is on the rise, right? Actually you should really start thinking for yourself, instead of parroting Mystic...You say right-brain deficiency as if it is a bad thing, but I use both sides of my brain, (That's called balance) think logically as well as creatively....Perhaps you should test your own brain... Right Left Brain Test Let me know how you rate...

Right/ left brain characteristics... Right Brain Left Brain Inventory
As far as I'm concerned, neighbor, it make no difference that your thinking has a religious bent, as long as it doesn't interfere with me or my family.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So that must mean you finally admit that atheism is on the rise, right? Actually you should really start thinking for yourself, instead of parroting Mystic...You say right-brain deficiency as if it is a bad thing, but I use both sides of my brain, (That's called balance) think logically as well as creatively....Perhaps you should test your own brain... Right Left Brain Test Let me know how you rate...

Right/ left brain characteristics... Right Brain Left Brain Inventory
As far as I'm concerned, neighbor, it make no difference that your thinking has a religious bent, as long as it doesn't interfere with me or my family.
Sorry Sans...there is an ebb and flow.
The current "game changer" is China. 10 yrs from now when they are 50%+ Theist...that's it for the little bit of "flow" of Atheism recently.

Bottom Line: Atheism was, is, and will always be NUTHIN'!! You need to get hip to that.

BTW...I think for myself just fine...and I think Mystic is a very brilliant and enlightened man, that I am privileged to have learned from...and continue to learn. Don't like that?...Hahahahahaha!....Oh, well!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:35 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,382,909 times
Quote:
Let me hip you to the real problem here Nozz
Hip is a verb now is it? Do you even try to make sense when you write?

Quote:
Those in the vast majority that can "see" (right-brain perception) God have the "evidence", and the "proof".
Argumentum ad populum again. Something is either right or wrong. It is not more right or more wrong in proportion to the number of people who think so. Read more here. Or ask your friend PHD to explain the "fallacies" more to you given his or her apparent grounding in the level of philosophy one can obtain from a cursory reading of Sophie's World. Better yet, why not read Sophie's world yourself, you will have a similar level of philosophical education as your mate then.

If there is so much evidence, then simply stop talking about how much of it there is, and simply show it instead! Simple. This constant unending claiming to have it but not actually showing any of it is very suspect however. If someone says they have something over and over.... and over and over again... and then they never show a shred of it... a time comes when you simply have to conclude they are lying.

Quote:
Fortunately, most have the evidence for God...
If that is so, why the constant refusal... and/or inability.... to show even a scrap of it? Very suspect. It seems more likely they are just saying they have it when they don't. Which would explain why they never give any of it. Ever.

Quote:
So? Given how recent the Germ Theory of disease is, you could also safely say that most people who ever lived thought illness was caused by evil, or some kind of demonic possession. Clearly we do not think that now, even though most of the people who ever lived to. Same with the earth being flat, which most people believed simply because it looks that way to us on the ground.

It is worrying that to try and bolster your numbers you have to include those from our very ignorant past to do so. Of course "most" people who ever lived think silly things. For most of our past we were, and in many ways still are, an ignorant species with much left to learn.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 AM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
It is worrying that to try and bolster your numbers you have to include those from our very ignorant past to do so. Of course "most" people who ever lived think silly things. For most of our past we were, and in many ways still are, an ignorant species with much left to learn.
Perhaps Gldn is still living in the past...His use of the phrase "You need to get hip to that" is right out of the 60s.

I too would like to see what evidence he has for the existence of any god...All I've seen is blather so far.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Hip is a verb now is it? Do you even try to make sense when you write?

Argumentum ad populum again. Something is either right or wrong. It is not more right or more wrong in proportion to the number of people who think so. Read more here. Or ask your friend PHD to explain the "fallacies" more to you given his or her apparent grounding in the level of philosophy one can obtain from a cursory reading of Sophie's World. Better yet, why not read Sophie's world yourself, you will have a similar level of philosophical education as your mate then.

If there is so much evidence, then simply stop talking about how much of it there is, and simply show it instead! Simple. This constant unending claiming to have it but not actually showing any of it is very suspect however. If someone says they have something over and over.... and over and over again... and then they never show a shred of it... a time comes when you simply have to conclude they are lying.

If that is so, why the constant refusal... and/or inability.... to show even a scrap of it? Very suspect. It seems more likely they are just saying they have it when they don't. Which would explain why they never give any of it. Ever.

So? Given how recent the Germ Theory of disease is, you could also safely say that most people who ever lived thought illness was caused by evil, or some kind of demonic possession. Clearly we do not think that now, even though most of the people who ever lived to. Same with the earth being flat, which most people believed simply because it looks that way to us on the ground.

I gave you the evidence of the existence of God...what more can I tell ya?

You are like a blind man, telling all the sighted people, they actually can't see...because everybody can't see.
When they tell you they are capable of sight, and, like most people, can see things you can't...you tell them you don't believe them...because it isn't "logically true", based on the "Fallacy of Numbers".

The fact the vast majority of people can see...and very few are blind...is just my stating the facts of the matter.
Same with most people having sufficient right-brain power to "see" God...with few lacking it.
That you don't believe it (because you are one of the "blind")...doesn't change it's "truth".
The FACT is...most can "see" God...you just aren't one of them.
The way the ratio falls...isn't an ad pop assertion...just the facts of how the ratio falls. It IS, what it IS.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 AM

Quote:
I gave you the evidence of the existence of God...what more can I tell ya?
Nope. You did not. You simply declared what was essentially saying "Because there exists something... there must be a god". That really is all you said. That is not evidence, or argument, that is just you declaring yourself to be right based on nothing.

Then you just back that up by calling me blind. Ad Hominem is not evidence either. Then you appeal to the Argumentum ad populum, which is a fallacy for good reason.

So no, there has been no evidence from you yet. Just declarations and then ad hominem followed by Argumentum ad populum fallacy.

Here again is your "evidence"

Quote:
There exists "something"...the empirical evidence is that matter and energy does, in fact, exist. We KNOW this.

We also KNOW OBJECTIVELY that "something" has the ability to further create, to establish the "laws" that control that which it has created, and it even provides what is necessary to maintain and sustain that creation. These are the KNOWN ATTRIBUTES of that "something"...not "speculated", not "believed", but objective and definitive, SCIENTIFICALLY proven attributes.

The basic attributes known to define a "God"...is to be able to create, control, maintain, and sustain matter and energy, completely through indigenous power without assistance or accomplice from any other force.

That aforementioned "something" has all those attributes...the primary being CREATOR.
All you are saying here is:

1) Matter exists.
2) There exists things that can create and maintain (like us for example)
3) God is defined as something that can create and maintain.
4) Therefore god exists.

This is horrifically bad argument. You are essentially saying "Because X exists with attributes Y, then Z has to exist because it also according to me has attributes Y".

You could prove ANYTHING exists in this manner. It is horrifically bad argument. Let me do it myself.

1) Animals exist.
2) There exists animals with legs.
3) I define unicorns as having legs.
4) Therefore unicorns exist.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Nope. You did not. You simply declared what was essentially saying "Because there exists something... there must be a god". That really is all you said. That is not evidence, or argument, that is just you declaring yourself to be right based on nothing.

Then you just back that up by calling me blind. Ad Hominem is not evidence either. Then you appeal to the Argumentum ad populum, which is a fallacy for good reason.

So no, there has been no evidence from you yet. Just declarations and then ad hominem followed by Argumentum ad populum fallacy.

Here again is your "evidence"

All you are saying here is:

1) Matter exists.
2) There exists things that can create and maintain (like us for example)
3) God is defined as something that can create and maintain.
4) Therefore god exists.

This is horrifically bad argument. You are essentially saying "Because X exists with attributes Y, then Z has to exist because it also according to me has attributes Y".

You could prove ANYTHING exists in this manner. It is horrifically bad argument. Let me do it myself.

1) Animals exist.
2) There exists animals with legs.
3) I define unicorns as having legs.
4) Therefore unicorns exist.
Ummmm...you didn't "get it". Sorry.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Ummmm...you didn't "get it". Sorry.
Bit of a cop out there. If something is wrong with what I said then elaborate. running away with a parting shot like that is just useless to everyone reading the thread, and somewhat cowardly to boot.

I have enough respect for you to read what you write and reply at length about what I think about it. The golden rule for which you are named suggests you treat others as they treat you or how you want to be treated, depending on your reading of it. I respected your post enough to read it, do my best to understand it, and then do my best to reply to it. Try being Christian enough to show me the same level of respect.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if a person feels they are "powerless" then they are living their life as a victim

in truth, we are powerful, we create the world around us with our thoughts, with our beliefs, with our feelings.

we alone are responsible for our world, and everything in it.
when we wake up and take responsibility for our individual world, life, and everything in it, then we move in to a place of power and can change our world.
Not necessarily. They can put themselves above the game, and ignore those who wish to play it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality