Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
How come you did not notice that the TV does the same thing?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Christianity as described in the Bible.
What is wrong is the misrepresentations of it.
No Christian principles, once applied, ever fail - not even one!
Strain yourself and try to find a failed one.
Remember - no misrepresentations - OK?
I think any strain would be had in finding a legitimate "Christian principle"

Please name some that didn't already exist in previously established philosophies or religions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 05:39 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The spiritual message underlying that statement doesn't mean what people of ignorance have misrepresented it to mean by taking it LITERALLY and not SPIRITUALLY.
Yeah, but hasn't this literal/spiritual issue been disputed for practically eons by the best religious scholars in the business..

It'll never be resolved.

Besides, why would a god go to the trouble of writing a book that couldn't be readily embraced by commoners?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM

646 posts, read 633,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
I think any strain would be had in finding a legitimate "Christian principle"

Please name some that didn't already exist in previously established philosophies or religions.
I think you will be sorry you made this request and you will quietly slink away when it becomes really heavy.

Here goes:
1. “YOU heard that it was said, ‘You must not commit adultery.’ But I say to YOU that everyone that keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” (Matthew 5:27-28)
2. “Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.
3. “Happy are those who mourn, since they will be comforted.
4. “Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.
5. “Happy are those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, since they will be filled.
6. “Happy are the merciful, since they will be shown mercy.
7. “Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God.
8. “Happy are the peaceable, since they will be called ‘sons of God.’
9. “Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.
10. “Happy are YOU when people reproach YOU and persecute YOU and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against YOU for my sake.
11. Rejoice and leap for joy, since YOUR reward is great in the heavens; for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to YOU.” (Matthew 5:3-12)
12. “For if YOU forgive men their trespasses, YOUR heavenly Father will also forgive YOU; whereas if YOU do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will YOUR Father forgive YOUR trespasses.” (Matthew 6:14-15)
13. “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19-21)
14. “The lamp of the body is the eye. If, then, your eye is simple, your whole body will be bright; 23 but if your eye is wicked, your whole body will be dark. If in reality the light that is in you is darkness, how great that darkness is!” (Matthew 6:22-23)
15. “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. YOU cannot slave for God and for Riches.” (Matthew 6:24)
16. “So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’ 32 For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For YOUR heavenly Father knows YOU need all these things.
17. “Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU.. . .” (Matthew 6:31-33)

This is just from one portion of Christian scripture - the Sermon On The Mount. There are thousands of them throughout the NT.
It would be interesting for me to see you match those with gems from "previously established philosophies or religions."

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 AM

The most "successful" bible principles are the ones that result in self-abnegation, mortification, self-flagellation and other types of terrible dementia.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:58 PM

241 posts, read 474,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why is it that some people (in general and a lot of people here) are so intent in saying the Christianity is a fraud, a sham, a lie?

One almost never sees that same kind of thing when it comes to Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism or Islam.

Gosh, I'll bet that more than half of the threads on this forum are about saying Christianity is a sham. Why is that? Why is it so important to some that Christianity be shown as not true?

I do find it interesting that so many on this forum find it important to say Christianity is bunk. I have my theories-mostly having to do with "what if what the NT says is really true".
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>> As a Muslim I think it's wrong to say that Christianity is a shame >> because after all it's a holly book and we should respect other people believes
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawary View Post
As a Muslim I think it's wrong to say that Christianity is a shame because after all it's a holly book....
Any berries with that "holly' book??

Quote:
....and we should respect other people believes
I see! What if I believed that all Muslims should be beheaded and have their heads displayed on spikes. Should my beliefs command respect?

Last edited by Rafius; 06-09-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
The most "successful" bible principles are the ones that result in self-abnegation, mortification, self-flagellation and other types of terrible dementia.
Now you got yourself a problem:
You didn't research this.
ALL biblical principles, once applied, are successful.
Let's check out your statement:
1. Is this the truth?
2. Should anyone believe this?
3. Why?
4. Since this could not be your own idea, whose propaganda line are you following?
5. Which Christian principles encourage these things?
6. Where are they found?

Now - don't you go vanishing, like the last guy. OK?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Now you got yourself a problem:
You didn't research this.
ALL biblical principles, once applied, are successful.
Let's check out your statement:
1. Is this the truth?
2. Should anyone believe this?
3. Why?
4. Since this could not be your own idea, whose propaganda line are you following?
5. Which Christian principles encourage these things?
6. Where are they found?

Now - don't you go vanishing, like the last guy. OK?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Who "vanished"?

Tell us more about how your imaginary friend was successful in (by your own admission) ruining your relationship with your friends and family.

They had to throw you out of the house because you threatened them, didn't you?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawary View Post
... because after all it's a holly book and we should respect other people believes[/font][/color]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Uh..no. There is no need to respect those who believe mythology to be true. The more religion, all religion, is ridiculed the faster it will die off. And this is a good thing.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Who "vanished"?
QuixoticHobbit - the guy who posted this:
"I think any strain would be had in finding a legitimate "Christian principle"
Please name some that didn't already exist in previously established philosophies or religions."

Quote:
Tell us more about how your imaginary friend was successful in (by your own admission) ruining your relationship with your friends and family.

They had to throw you out of the house because you threatened them, didn't you?
Not so fast! First, you need to answer this:
You wrote this:
Quote:
"The most "successful" bible principles are the ones that result in self-abnegation, mortification, self-flagellation and other types of terrible dementia."
BIBLE principles? Can you prove any of it? If you really can't, do you know what that makes you?
One who spreads lies and lies cause death!

BTW - what is wrong with self-abnegation? Would you object if someone puts your interests ahead of his own? That is the basic objective of Christianity on a personal level.

“By this we have come to know love, because that one (Jesus) surrendered his soul for us; and we (believers) are under obligation to surrender [our] souls for [our] brothers.” (1 John 3:16)

That is a highly commendable attitude and its application would eliminate wars and their resulting collateral damage, and cuthroat competition in family and business affairs.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality