Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which afterlife?
We become worm food, majority atheist viewpoint 17 50.00%
orthodox Christian view, heaven and hell but only about 5% make it to heaven, the rest burn in hell 6 17.65%
We are reincarnated indefinitely, or until we reach nirvana 8 23.53%
our spirits roam the earth until the end of the universe 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times

Advertisements

I hope that nothing happens, actually. Life is tedious enough--according to the Buddhists, a source of suffering. I do not care to suffer.

I'm with Hobbes--life is nasty, brutish, and short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 03:26 PM

229 posts, read 332,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This isn't what you BELIEVE happens, and what your science book or holy book teaches you, but what you truly hope, within your heart, will happen once the silver chord is cut.

edit: I left out Universalism because I thought it would be too popular, lol.
If I'm entirely honest, I'd go for non-existence as my first choice, even long before I'd ever choose universalism, if it were in this poll. If it were possible I would ensure that I'd never have come into existence in the first place.

The 3rd and 4th option would be next, both would be unpleasant but perhaps bearable. I'd never choose the 2nd option on this poll, which is the vilest monstrosity imaginable.

However, I have this eerie and sinking feeling that my first choice is the least likely option on this poll.

Quote:
I hope that nothing happens, actually. Life is tedious enough.
I couldn't agree more

Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,162,165 times
While I do hope there is some sort of afterlife I also hope that is it NOT in any way associated with the afterlife described in Christianity, nor ruled by Christianity's god. Spending an eternity with a narcissistic, psychotic mass murderer or in his personal torture chambers for not kissing his holy self-righteous a$$ are equally undesirable.

Therefore, I was unable to vote in this poll.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,252,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Heck cruzing around as a bumble bee would be cool as heck, and only have to live for a few months to a year until the next cool experience. I vote for reincarnation all the way baby...You athiest and hipocritical christians(most of them) quit polluting my planet... I dont want to be reborn into a sess pool...Thank YOU!!
nah i'd miss music too much,plus we humans have a good laugh now and again,i'd miss that too,besides what other species have a sense of humour.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:29 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,545,729 times
Check out the after life that an atheist experianced.
www.cbn/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SUS142_IanMcCormack_022610_WS (http://www.cbn/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SUS142_IanMcCormack_022610_WS - broken link)

Old 04-17-2011, 07:30 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,898,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
besides what other species have a sense of humour.
Monkeys and chimps laugh.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,130,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
If I'm entirely honest, I'd go for non-existence as my first choice, even long before I'd ever choose universalism, if it were in this poll. If it were possible I would ensure that I'd never have come into existence in the first place.

The 3rd and 4th option would be next, both would be unpleasant but perhaps bearable. I'd never choose the 2nd option on this poll, which is the vilest monstrosity imaginable.

However, I have this eerie and sinking feeling that my first choice is the least likely option on this poll.

I couldn't agree more
Well 'worm food' is leading by quite a margin, and this surprises me. Do people really prefer non-existence to a positive or even a neutral afterlife? Sometimes I too, wished that I'd never been born. But not because life is totally horrible per se, but because life kind of creates the fear of death, let alone the fear of some terrible afterlife. It's so much for the human psyche to deal with. Especially when life is mostly work I can see how it's more suffering than anything else.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,722,425 times
Again, your choices were way too limiting. If we're going to fantasize about a perfect afterlife, you have to think bigger. Huge amounts of money. Armies of millions under our control. Infinite power. That sort of stuff.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times
As others have pointed out, shouldn't the question in the OP be...'What do you believe happens to us....?' and not 'What do you hope happens to us...'

I hope that we all go to some place where everything is wonderful, there is no pain and suffering, nobody wants for anything, there are daily 'jam sessions' with all the greatest musicians that have ever lived, chicks are free and never have a headache and I can see through women's clothes. That is my hope - but my belief is that there won't be any thing like that and I will be 'worm food'.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,703,599 times
No, because as pointed out in the opening post, the original poster was not concerned was not concerned with our "beliefs", but what we would WANT to have happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality