Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:26 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Boy, that's an awfully negative reason to post!

I find religion a negative thing so I'm OK with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
I don't argue with people here thinking I'm going to change their minds. It's for the people reading. Always has been.

Arguing with others on here has also helped to keep my mind sharp. Without constant engagement, whenever I'm approached on the street, I'd be struggling to keep up. Not to mention, people post a lot of interesting facts and news on these forums, so it's a way of keeping up with new developments as well and discussing them among similarly minded people.

Also, arguing with others helps to better understand my own position. When I first discovered the fallacy God of the Gaps, I did it while driving down the road with my old man on the way to a job. It represented the first epiphany and my first foray into atheism. From there, I've been increasing my knowledge of common theist arguments. When I first started my life of disbelief, I couldn't answer any "big questions" that religion had an answer to--because I didn't know. I came to realize eventually that religion doesn't either--and that's the point.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I post here because I enjoy articulating my views in a written form. I share my story, my journey from rabid pentecostal christian to atheist mainly so others may also find freedom from religion. I was assisted in my search by other atheists online and I feel I am passing the torch so to speak.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I pedict (threadwise) that at the end of the day, the atheists will rejoice in their atheism and the Christians will rejoice in their strenghtened faith despite what the otherside has to say. That is healthy.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I post here because I think religion is detrimental to the human race. I can think of nothing that religion has done for us that we could not have accomplished without it. I point that out whenever possible.

Absolutely, and much that hasn't been accomplished due to the obstructionists and mythology based ignorance. We may survive religion, but right now it's not looking that good, the willful ignorance of religion seems to have a strangle hold on reason.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
I wish both would go away. One of the saddest aspects of religion though has to be how it can manage to drive families apart for stupid reasons.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yet we hate, discriminate and kill over these feelings.
That cuts both ways.

For instance, note how many posts on these boards by atheists and agnostics drip with scorn and hatred directed not only at Christianity and God, but at Christians themselves. It's a rare comment where the poster doesn't dip into a deep bag of ridicule and belittling comments, rather than simply discuss something. It's so common that it could be called the norm. Some, by their own admission, come here for no other purpose than to revile and make fun of Christians and their beliefs. You rarely, if ever, see that from the Christians here.

The point is that the discrimination and hatred is hardly the exclusive domain of the religious folks here.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Selective reading? I've seen it coming from Christians a lot, even targeting other Christians.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:16 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
It keeps the mind active. And, when forced to defend your position, it causes (or, SHOULD cause) one to re-evaluate his beliefs.

Also, unless you've got the most closed of minds, it helps you see people on the other side as people, not stereotypes.
^^^ What [s]he said.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:26 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
^^^ What [s]he said.

He. When you click on my screename, that's me in the foreground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality