Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times

Advertisements

Churches, mosques, temples, etc., provide meeting places for Delusional Support Groups. Since most such people aren't violent or greatly out of touch with reality, their mental illness doesn't require commitment to a mental institution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
I am an atheist and a Unitarian Universalist. My wife, Lilly of the Field, and I left the LDS Church at roughly the same time and shortly thereafter became agnostics/atheists. We wanted to keep all that we liked about our previous lives as Mormons and change and improve on the things we did not like. We both enjoy feeling peace, transcendence, unity, joy, comfort. We wanted to be part of a community that encouraged those feelings through hymns and the sharing of thoughts and experiences, but without supernatural emphasis. I'd rather not have to filter through a bunch of stuff I don't believe that is taught from the pulpit as if it were the undisputed truth. I would not be comfortable with that.
We also wanted to be taught the sorts of things we were now into: environmentalism, skepticism, personal spiritual journeys, justice for all regardless of race, gender, orientation, etc. I wanted a community that I could raise my children in with those values and have mentors for them that would encourage exploration of ideas. I wanted people I could turn to for support during times of hospitalization, deaths, births, marriages, etc. I wanted to be able to unite to accomplish greater good through community service and pressure on legislatures. I wanted to enjoy community pot-lucks, seminars, and functions, etc.

Basically, I wanted an atheist church that valued a non-supernatural spirituality. I briefly entertained the idea of starting my own atheist church, but then I learned that they already exist. So, we visited a local Community of Reason, and I emailed several other secular humanist groups and freethinking "churches", but we found them to be devoid of spirituality and not very kid friendly. They felt more like academic societies with weekly lectures, than a church community. But, then we heard that many post-mormons had found a home in Unitarian Universalism. So, we went to our local one and felt right at home. It was a spiritual community that accepted atheists just the way we are. The sermons prompt introspection and contemplation. I have no fear that my kids will be indoctrinated. I am learning to be more tolerant of others who do have supernatural beliefs.

Unitarian Universalism has no creed dictating that all UU's must believe such and such. Instead, there are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
does it say in your bible to build such ostentatious buildings to worship in?? while the poor sheople go hungry and homeless..
On the contrary!

"Provision for Approaching God"

Exodus 20:25 And if thou wilt make me an altar of stone, thou shalt not build it of hewn stone: for if thou lift up thy tool upon it, thou hast polluted it.

Isaiah 66:1-2 Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest? (Paradise!)

2 For all these things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

It is very clear in these passages that a man-made building is not where the Spirit of GOD resides exclusively...HE IS within one who has a contrite spirit.

Peace!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Why are churches important? When I look at one I see a building that needs to pay electricity, ac/heat, building costs, payroll, and general business expenses (I would think?). I can understand why churches want people in them (to pay expenses), but what value do people get from them?

As an atheist, I honestly do not understand it. Is there really a connection between God and a particular building? What makes that particular building special, what about it would make God decide thats the place he wants to representing him as opposed to everyother building or area? And how do Christians know that there is in fact a special relationship between the building and God?
What you speak of is just a building. The Church is the believers. Below is part of an answer I gave on another thread. It's applicable here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The Bible instructs us to be part of a community of believers (Hebrews 10). One of the reasons is to edify one another. Another is to be taught spiritual truths by those with the gift of teaching. Even another is the fellowship of like-minded people. Jesus Himself chose twelve apostles to be with Him.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
So churches are just social clubs?
A church doesn't pay taxes and to me it's nothing more than a small business which should pay taxes. Also the deductions for contributions should be terminated...that's a joke. 2/3 of contributions to a church go for religious operation and does nothing for the needy.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
A church doesn't pay taxes and to me it's nothing more than a small business which should pay taxes. Also the deductions for contributions should be terminated...that's a joke. 2/3 of contributions to a church go for religious operation and does nothing for the needy.
That's because the mission of the church is multi-faceted.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
A church is where the flock go to be fleeced.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's because the mission of the church is multi-faceted.
Yeah...sending missionaries to other countries to attempt to change their cultures. Sending 10% up the line to the convention or denomination headquarters. Paying a preacher and providing him a home and travel expenses. Paying for musical instruments, sound systems, stained glass, steeples and building maintenance etc. etc. etc.

Why did god measure out to the cubit dimensions for the ark and not once does the new testament mention building a church?

The whole thing is a man thing....that's why god seems a lot more like a man than a god. He was created in man's image from the imagination of ignorant, primitive mankind.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
...Unitarian Universalism has no creed dictating that all UU's must believe such and such. Instead, there are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Now THAT is something I can get behind! I'll have to check out some UU congregations around my city...

Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Now THAT is something I can get behind! I'll have to check out some UU congregations around my city...
Careful...one morning about three years ago a bible thumping right winger shot up one of those places in Knoxville, TN.:

Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality