Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 PM

222 posts, read 473,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Christians, do you really believe this?

25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” Matthew 14:22,23

If a similar story from another religion was told to you, you would reject it as a fable. Why do you believe this story?
When you get really drunk, anything seems possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
If I "so loved the world"? Yes, absolutely I would. You make God sound like a petulant middle school girl. "Ashley and I aren't on speaking terms. She doesn't believe in me."

Ok, let me clarify that statement:

God reveals enough of himself to mankind so that no one can claim, "I didn't know." But, He does not reveal ALL of himself to those who don't believe in Him.

Even Jesus told us not to cast our pearls (words of great value) before swine (an unclean animal, representative in this case of "unclean" people: ie separated from God), lest they trample the word under foot.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

God reveals enough of himself to mankind so that no one can claim, "I didn't know." But, He does not reveal ALL of himself to those who don't believe in Him.

Even Jesus told us not to cast our pearls (words of great value) before swine (an unclean animal, representative in this case of "unclean" people: ie separated from God), lest they trample the word under foot.
The existence of agnostics proves this to be untrue. There are plenty of people out there who don't know, and it's not from a willful desire to deny God. It's an honest look at the evidence presented, resulting in the conclusion that... they just don't know.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
1. Nope! The ones who claim that out-of-thin air scenario are the atheists who say that the Big Bag singularity was infinitely small in full knowledge that they are talking giberrish. Why ios it giberrish? It's gibberish because by their own admission nothing that's infinitely small can exist. Also, by their own admission, the infinitely-small balogna is used as a substitute for the more honest "We simply don''t know!"

The Bible clearly tells us that there was energy involved:

Neither does the Bible say it was a few thousand years ago. The intitial or pre-preparatory day statement allows for the billions of years which geologists claim as the age of the earth. The Hebrew word for day also allows for a longer time period in reference to the prepararatory days mentioned. So the anti scientific view need not be assumed in relation to the Genesis account.

2. The Bible tells us that the snake or serpent was used as a puppet by a spirit being.

3. The Bible tells us that Adam was not deceived by that being.

4. The Bible tells us that God imediately set into motion a process of fixing things.

Tell me my friend-why is it that you take pleasure in repeating things that aren't necessarily 100% accurate?
Not a single darn thing you said is in the least bit logical nor the least bit plausible.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,985,759 times
Quote:
Your question would be sort of like asking me to explain calculus to someone who denies 1+1 even equals 2. It would be a waste of both our times.
Laughable how you invoke logic and mathematics as if either one of them has anything to do with the illogical irrational mess of religion.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:38 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Quote:

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy: Carl Sagan

Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,729,146 times
Quote:
Your question would be sort of like asking me to explain calculus to someone who denies 1+1 even equals 2. It would be a waste of both our times.
Another evasive tactic on your part.

However, at least you were kind enough to throw out Mathew 7:6 for us. (Sermon on the Mount)

(NIV) "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."

From what you posted earlier, your "deep truth" from this verse is that you might as well not bother with skeptics because they will ridicule the word (because they can't understand it et al).

This is kind of a famous chapter in the bible. Let me paraphrase it for you and see if I can "understand" this calculus level stuff, and maybe even "receive" it.

The chapter starts out with "judge not unless you be judged" (Mathew 7:1-2), then moves to getting beams and logs out of your own eyes before you complain about specs in somebody elses eyes [ie: don't be a hypocrite] (Mathew 7:3-5).

Then of course, it says not to give dogs holy things and don't cast pearls before swine [don't bother with skeptics because they don't understand addition much less calculus] (Mathew 7:6).

Then Jesus starts the "ask and you shall recieve, seek and you shall find" routine. He talks about how even evil people treat their children good and wouldn't give them a snake and a stone if they asked for fish and bread so why would God do that (Mathew 7:9-11).

Jesus restates the Golden rule (7:12)

Jesus says road to destruction is wide, gait to life is narrow (Mathew 7:13-14)

Jesus talks about how you know trees by their fruits. Good trees/good fruit. Bad trees/bad fruit. You don't gather thistles and thorns rather than the fruit. Trees can't change their kind of fruit. Bad trees get destroyed (Mathew 7:16-20)

Jesus infers that on judgement day people will say they did great things in his name................. but he doesn't know them and they can't come in the kingdom of heaven (Mathew 7:21-23).

Jesus says if you listen to him and do what he says it is like having a house on solid rock. If you don't listen and do what he says it's like a house built on sand and the house will fall (Mathew 7:24-27).

Everybody was impressed with Jesus sayings because he says them with one authority and not as the scribes (Mathew 7:28-29).

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-31-2011 at 03:41 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 AM

17,817 posts, read 13,729,146 times
OK, her is what I "received" from Mathew Chapter 7:

Don't judge people because I could be judged myself.
Don't look at other peoples faults and shortcomings. Mine are worse.
Don't bother arguing with people who don't agree with me. They are dogs/pigs (unclean in spirit) and will just laugh at what I say.
Ask/seek/knock on God's door for anything. He cares for me more than anybody and will give me what I ask/seek and will not give me any "donkeys behind door #3" like they do on Let's Make a Deal.
I'm to do for others what I'd like them to do for me.
It's easier to believe the wrong things and do the wrong things (and get destroyed) than it is to believe the right things and do the right things. Most people take the destructive path.
People are like trees. If they do the right things I'll know by what they do (good fruit). If they do bad things I'll know that too (bad fruit).
People are like trees and if they are good they are good. If they are bad they are bad. They can't change. Bad trees get destroyed.
I might think I'm a Christian and do a lot of good things but on judgement day I will find out that I really wasn't; and Jesus won't want anything to do with me (I assume because I didn't have the right motives for my actions).
If I listen to Jesus and do what he says my life will have a good foundation and withstand bad times. If I don't listen and do what he says I will fall apart.
Jesus is real smart and is an impressive guy (sort of like an olden times Joel Osteen) and he presented this wisdom differently than the standard people who usually give this sage advice.

Stillkit, feel free to add any "deeper" truths you would like concerning Mathew Chapter 7. It may be gibberish, or calculus to me........... but you can give it a try if you would like.

However, to make these two posts germane to the forum and to the topic: I don't think most athiests have a problem with the fact that Jesus provided social commentary and advice for living (even though they may not agree with all of it). It is the supernatural part of it that is at issue. None of these biblical type of supernatural acts occur today. Many Christians would say that if God did it today then he would be "revealing too much of himself". Others will say that God quit all that when the Bible came out.

It would seem much more plausible that God (if he existed) never did these supernatural acts (and that what actually did occur had an explanation that could be described by universal laws) than to say that God used to do supernatural acts and then stopped.

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-31-2011 at 04:26 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
The existence of agnostics proves this to be untrue. There are plenty of people out there who don't know, and it's not from a willful desire to deny God. It's an honest look at the evidence presented, resulting in the conclusion that... they just don't know.

There's enough evidence to convince billions of people over time, so it's there for anyone who cares to look. Since the number of believers in some sort of higher being far, far exceeds the number of agnostic's, or atheist's for that matter, why would we assume the agnostic's or atheist's are right?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,719,988 times
Quote:
There's enough evidence to convince billions of people over time, so it's there for anyone who cares to look.
Pretty convenient you get to know the thoughts and motives of everyone who lacks belief in your god stories. How do you have time for anything else?

Quote:
Since the number of believers in some sort of higher being far, far exceeds the number of agnostic's, or atheist's for that matter, why would we assume the agnostic's or atheist's are right?
Who's asking you to assume anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality