Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times

Advertisements

Well, the advice was bad but was it a life or death situation that you had to correct your boss right then and there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 03:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
His RIGHT to have his own opinions and beliefs is just as valid, but his actual opinions and beliefs can still be incredibly wrong and harmful when shared, especially when the person has undeserved authority and influence.
He's a business man...not a vet,he has as much right to give his opinions on what he believes to be true...as anybody else. I wouldn't take advice on how to fix my car from the florist...but that doesn't mean he can't give me his opinion on what he believes I should do,....it's up to me to seek advice from a professional.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
I listened today as my boss gave horrible advice.

You just can't fix stupid, and the deliberate stupidity exhibited by your boss in spite of unquestionable evidence is especially hard to fix.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
No they aren't. The veterinary advice he gave about rabies shots and about canine bloat / gastric torsion couldn't be more false. Opinions does not = good veterinary advice. When my dog had canine bloat, I would have had a dead dog if I thought "warm water would take care of it," and there is no way of preventing this in dogs other than stitching the stomach to the abdominal wall.

Why was this person asking him this anyway instead of someone who would actually know?
The client was asking because my boss owns a rather large dog. That's honestly his qualifications.

This happens because my boss knows a lot about one thing--automobiles. He was a mechanic for some ten years. Everything else, he simply speaks with authority (being a businessman and all) so that people believe that he knows what he is talking about, even when he isn't. I've seen him do it with computers, with fields of science, etc. Politics is probably the only thing he can talk about without impunity because of its inherent opinionated basis.

I had a similar conversation the other day with a commercial diver about oxygen toxicity and why putting someone in a after suffering from it is a terrible terrible idea. He swore up and down that people suffering from oxygen toxicity (because of using Nitrox--higher O2 than N2 in a tank) should be put into a decompression chamber. Using nothing but physics (!) I explained why he was wrong, and an hour later after much research, He found me to be correct.

Did I mention I'm only recreational certified three years ago? And this guy was a commercial diver, went to a vocational school and everything. I see this kind of behavior all to often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
He's a business man...not a vet,he has as much right to give his opinions on what he believes to be true...as anybody else. I wouldn't take advice on how to fix my car from the florist...but that doesn't mean he can't give me his opinion on what he believes I should do,....it's up to me to seek advice from a professional.
This statement is different from "his opinion is valid as anyone else."

Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
The rabies vaccines stemmed directly from the distrust of science--something particularly rabid in the conservative and notably Creationist circles. After the entire ridiculous vaccine myth about autism in humans, listening to him talk about where he heard this story (A dog breeder at the church), it wasn't difficult to see how he could pander it so ignorantly.
Ironically Pasteur, the guy who founded rabies vaccine, is widely agreed to have been Christian. Although Catholic, so maybe not counting for your boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Ignorance of this scale makes me wonder how he makes money.
In our town the "self-made rich" were pretty often not the smartest, in an IQ/academic way, people. They were the ones best able to make and use human connections, plus essentially manipulate people. Although I imagine they had at least some head for math and an ability to "know their market."

If your boss is able to actually persuade people not to get their dog a rabies vaccine than, even though that's a bad thing to do, it might give you some sense how he makes money. (The ability to be persuasive and to get what he wants done)

Or maybe he inherited it or married into it.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Well, the advice was bad but was it a life or death situation that you had to correct your boss right then and there?
I imagine it well could have been for the dog.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM

346 posts, read 498,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotichobbit View Post
i imagine it well could have been for the dog.
agree.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM

346 posts, read 498,381 times
Quote:
That's you. But others might take his advice, since he speaks with such authority- and end up with a dead dog.

He is giving advice where he doesn't know what he's talking about. It's not just a matter of "you say poTAYto, I say poTAHto." Advice is different from opinions and no- not all advice is equally valid.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TaoistDude
His RIGHT to have his own opinions and beliefs is just as valid...
He's a business man...not a vet,he has as much right to give his opinions on what he believes to be true...as anybody else.
I have heard of agreeing to disagree, but is this case of dissagreeing to agree? The sky is blue. Au contraire, the sky is blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality