Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM

142 posts, read 249,713 times

Advertisements

A friend sent me this link and I thought that I would pass it along. Son prays for mom to win lotto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
And how many millions of people pray that they will win the lottery and don't?

With as many millions of people praying to win the lottery while buying tickets, it is practically a certainty that at least one of those people will occasionally win.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I watch football players, soccer players, boxers etc. make the sign of the cross all the time. They still lose as often as they win...Prayer is meaningless as a tool for personal gain, or gain of any kind...

Old 06-03-2011, 11:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Hmm

I wonder how that makes all the sons feel who prayed in vain for their mother's cancer to go into remission or be healed.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredre View Post
A friend sent me this link and I thought that I would pass it along. Son prays for mom to win lotto
I'll hire him for a 25% cut of all my winnings.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 PM

142 posts, read 249,713 times
I don’t see this as being about praying to get rich. I believe in prayer and yet I will never pray any prayer concerning the lottery nor will I ever play the lottery. What I got from this little snippet of news is reinforcement that the actions of God are primarily concerned about one thing and that thing is a person’s eternal fate. Next to this question all the suffering in the world does not mean anything. You’ve heard it said several times and I’ll say it again. If there is a God, if there is Satan, a Heaven and Hell, the ultimate measure of one’s life is whether they accepted the gift of salvation. If you are brutally killed by a tornado at 15 years old but accepted the gift then your life was a success. If you live til 115 and die in your sleep rich and famous in the eyes of the world but did not accept the gift then your life was possibly a wasted tragedy. What does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul? So then it’s possible that when we are begging for the restoration of lives who are on the brink, they are at a point in their lives where had they returned to health would have forfeited their souls through future actions. The concept is similar to someone who retires on top instead of trying to hold on until a graceful exit is no longer possible. From a believer’s standpoint this is God saying, yes I did say that the LOVE of money is the root of evil but I can use any means that I choose to draw people back to me including them winning the lottery one day after a half-hearted prayer. What are the odds of that?

In short I maintain that the reason that this mother and son won the lottery was not so they could spend, spend, spend but instead so they could find their way back to the one who can give them more satisfaction than any sum of money possibly could.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
All I can say about that is....Wait, these are better words than mine..... Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy......Carl Sagan

Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredre View Post
That's what's called "coincidence." Nothing miraculous about it, at all.

The son is, however, apparently a truly selfless individual, wishing huge amounts of money for his mother before himself. (Unless he happened to pray that he would win, and for some reason isn't talking about the fact that he didn't).

Old 06-03-2011, 02:45 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's what's called "coincidence." Nothing miraculous about it, at all.

The son is, however, apparently a truly selfless individual, wishing huge amounts of money for his mother before himself. (Unless he happened to pray that he would win, and for some reason isn't talking about the fact that he didn't).
He should start playing no limit Texas Hold'em...the number of new faces 19-25 years old playing poker has quadrupled in the last ten years. The odds are a lot better for winning from Doyle Brunson than for hitting the big lottery.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
I've prayed many times for financial help (like winning the lottery) so I can pursue my career goals and dreams without being homeless. Sadly God has not answered them. I'm still poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality