Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 AM

131 posts, read 312,905 times

Advertisements

Humans have evolved. It is a well known fact. We used to be stupider and we used to have sh*ter things. Take tvs for example...they used to be black and white. Now they are colour and flat, widescreen , high definition. How will they get better again? What will be the point when someone thinks...that isn't good enough what can I do to change it, make it better. Back in the day people could never have even dreamed of such a thing as a television. Especially as far back as caveman times. It would just be uncomprehendable (if that’s a word) but now we have them. Sometimes in futuristic sci fi sort of films they have weird creations that the human race has invented sometime in the future, when watching these films we dont truly think that is what the future is going to be like, we jus think its silly and made up. But when do weird silly ideas of what the future might be like actually start to show some truth, some evidence that the thing is evolving in that way. Take cars for example. In films set in the future they might be made to be see through glass bubbles containing many rooms, that walk about the streets or maybe even fly. Now today people would say, well that is never going to actually happen. We have no need for such things etc but im sure that back in the day people thought we had no need for many of, what they would have considered to be strange, inventions that we have today. So what if in the future we are going to actually have these crazy cars. Probably in many thousands of years (if at all). And the people in the future, many thousands of years ahead of us will be thinking, sh*t I bet people back in the day never thought we would have cars like this (like I just did with the tv thing). But what if they were wrong. What if someone in our time, now, realised the way things were going. This all came to me when I was watching an advert when stoned. I think its for a kia car and it has a bike holder thing on the back of it. What if that is the first step to cars evolving. For many years people hve just tried to make cars faster, beter, bigger, smaller etc but now someone has put a luxury in—a bike holder. What next? A fridge? Microwave? Bed? Little side room? Second story? Totally see through? Extendable tyre that raise you up over bumps? (like...legs almost?) wings? (no need for bridges then). Soo you see, maybe that is the point where cars stop just being cars and start evolving to whole new levels. Such a small thing such as a bike holder should not cause anyone to think how much it could possibly evolve. But it has. Well for me anyway. And all that just made me think. What if there was, one, single solitary person back in the day that pictured how something simple would evolve thousands of years later. They saw a slight change in the way things were going and thought, f*ck, this is the point where this object stops just being this and starts beoming so much more. And people in the future, us, think that back in the day people could not comprehend the things we have today. But maybe, jus maybe, somebody did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
Uh, the fact that our technology keeps improving doesn't mean that man is getting smarter.
I mean with all our modern technology we still act like cavemen.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Ummmm no. For several reasons, although I see where you're headed, you're wrong. Using cars is a good example. You're talking about a slight modification to the car, putting it on the market, seeing how it does (sales), and if it 'survives' more of those cars will be made, right? That is in some odd way how nature produces new things, however the fundamental flaw is that there is still some 'guide' plotting the course of how it all works. Some sort of designer, right?

The other problem is that you're referencing some sort of 'individual' thousands of years ago that saw things the way they were going to be, or should be. Well, that implicates a sense of grandeur, or at least vast complexity, which I don't have a problem with. But, the complexity did not just START with this caveman, it had to come from something simpler, no? Especially if we're to use evolution in the context you are referring to.

Finally, if something were so brilliant as to see the way humans were 'supposed' be headed than we would have no need for things like an appendix, an extremely dangerous birth canal, eyes wired backwards, a defective gene that hinders our absorption of lactic acid, or an esophagus that we eat, breath, and drink through simultaneously- which greatly increases our chance of choking to death. It also doesn't explain why the human male has a defective Y chromosome that leads to a higher potential for color blindness, it doesn't explain why we are susceptible to scurvy (yet again another genetic malfunction). Obviously this "planner" or "designer" needs to go back to design school and learn under an apprenticeship because he's pretty awful at what he does.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:52 AM

131 posts, read 312,905 times
i dont mean to say that someone is creating/designing/or altering things specifically. I was more saying that maybe there is one person in the world at any one time who is greatly more intelligent/(possibly sees into the futre) than anyone else. but because his/her thoughts/inventions are so ridiculous to that time period he/she never voices his/her thoughts.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:58 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket View Post
i dont mean to say that someone is creating/designing/or altering things specifically. I was more saying that maybe there is one person in the world at any one time who is greatly more intelligent/(possibly sees into the futre) than anyone else. but because his/her thoughts/inventions are so ridiculous to that time period he/she never voices his/her thoughts.
Well, I think that perhaps that is true. The real life "Rainman" brings that to mind. He's a brilliant man, but because of his brilliance (actually the way his brain is wired) he also has some handicaps that are quite visible. A lot of people say Leonardo Da Vinci was absolutely bonkers but he was obviously a rather brilliant man.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racket View Post
This all came to me when I was watching an advert when stoned.
Ah. Gotcha. So this begs the question....is the bowl half full or half empty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality