Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
God is a feeling. 'Love' as rev 111 says. That's why I had to post. She is right. God is Love, but also Love is God. If love is just some evolved feelings that we have pulled together under a single heading, then that's all the God is, too.

I also subscribe to the idea that God is Love. But I don't think of Love as a feeling, although Love can and often does create a pleasant feeling. Love, to me, is a force that transforms how one thinks and, as a consequence, one's actions. And because of the nature of Love, I do tend toward a belief that it is a conscious and relational force. I also wouldn't consider it unlikely that it is the Creative Source of the universe.

I don't know beyond doubt that this is true, and I can't say that I've "chosen" to believe this, as much as it is simply what makes the most sense to me. Also, I do think that at the core, most religions/philosophies share a value of Love (though it sometimes seems distorted almost beyond recognition by those same religions/philosophies) that leads me to believe that they all have, in some sense, the same view of what God is, murky though it may be.

As far as how best to experience or understand Love in my lifetime, since I was raised in the Christian religion, I still find that the writings of Christianity are probably one of the most comfortable places for me to look for inspiriation. But I also am appreciating what little I know of Buddhism to be inspired and very helpful as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I'm not selling anything so you have misread what I wrote. I never tell others to believe what I believe. I give my opinion and I let it go. If you choose to agree or disagree then it's on you. Don't blame others for your lack of understanding.

Love is not a belief. It's reality. God is reality. What you are living on earth is only an illusion created by humans. We create our own world. If you wantto blame others for your lack of understanding, don't let me stop you. I can point you to some very enlightening and unreligious books if you'd like. By your response, you either have never been in love or you have never felt the Divine Love of God. I'd say you have never felt the love of God, which is entirely different than the love you would feel towards a brother or spouse. When you can love the entire world without condition, with understanding, with compassion, without control or judgement, with letting go and with humility, with innocent perception and have enough faith to actually know that things are as they should be, then and only then tell me I'm wrong. Otherwise, don't judge a book by it's cover. All you see here is the cover of a child of God that you've never read.

Love is the name of God and Love is your name as well. In that, you were created in His likeness. You are known and shall always be known by the nature of your Love. God is the definer, not the defined. You can say all you want about a nonbelief in God and, personally, I don't really care, but He believes in you and that is something you cannot change.
I like you. Still an not religious, still think all religious holy books are about as likely to be true as Scientology. By the way, never trust anything made by a science fiction writer, but I like you

Old 07-21-2011, 04:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
After much research I’ve come to find that truth lies in the mystery schools, not the major world religions. Growing up catholic, I used to think that anything kept secret must be evil. That is not necessarily true. For example, when I was younger I experienced something I do not tell anyone and it definitely wasn’t evil. Most people aren’t ready to hear and wouldn’t understand what occurred to me, so keeping quiet just makes sense. Which now I’m realizing is the same with secret societies.

If I'm honest with myself, searching for truth is a life long endeavor.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
After much research I’ve come to find that truth lies in the mystery schools, not the major world religions. Growing up catholic, I used to think that anything kept secret must be evil. That is not necessarily true. For example, when I was younger I experienced something I do not tell anyone and it definitely wasn’t evil. Most people aren’t ready to hear and wouldn’t understand what occurred to me, so keeping quiet just makes sense. Which now I’m realizing is the same with secret societies.

See, now what you are doing here is the equivalent of dangling a ham in front of a starving person and saying "I might give you this, or I might give you something else." Everyone who reads your post will be eternally tortured by curiousity.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:05 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

The only thing to fear is fear itself. Be true to yourself no matter what anyone else thinks. Would love to hear of this experience so when fear no longer guides you, please, do tell.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:49 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
What brought you back to the church?
Family.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
People join religions because they "want" to all the time. In fact recent Pew studies show that Americans on average change religion more often than they change cell phone provider.

Reasons they found were reasons like... for example.... marrying someone of a different faith and switching to their faith.

I guess peoples willingness to change religion for arbitrary reasons shows that many of them take their own religion about as seriously as I do. Read that as: Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Knowledge of science in no way precludes belief in God . . .
Sometimes it does in those for whom ignorance WAS the reason they started thinking there was a god in a "god of the gaps" style way. There are many reasons people think there is a god. Each person differs. Those people who operate on a god of the gaps style reason for thinking there is a god will of course have that belief removed when the gaps are filled in with science.

For example we once did not know how something as "complex" as us could arise so some people thought "god did it". Then the Theory Of Evolution explained it nicely and so people for whom that gap was their reason for thinking there was a god would lose that faith.

Of course those people for whom ignorance is NOT the reason they think there is a god will not have that faith precluded by science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality