Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times

Advertisements

For a while now I have imagined, multiple times a day, committing a particular sin. I haven't acted on it. I have been tempted to act on it, but God/fate/willpower has kept me in check. I am Christian, and I have prayed to God that these thoughts will go away but they haven't yet. Am I sinning by thinking about committing this sin so much? This is really worrying me and I would like the opinion of people more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,285,154 times
You did say you were a Christian right?
The best person to ask for guidance is your Clergy, then they will direct you
You didn't state how long you have been a Christian, since it does matter in
relation to your question. In the meantime until you talk to your clergy, ask God to Forgive You for these intruding thoughts of "sin".
God Bless You

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 08-20-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Forgot the punctuation mark

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
well, if the sin is at a particular place...try and distance yourself from it..we all struggle with thoughts..lust, greed, you name it...acting on those thoughts and desires is when we fall. IMHO of course.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM

358 posts, read 916,722 times
I would focus on the reason(s) you want to commit the sin. If you can eliminate or at least control the reason, then you may be better able to understand why you feel as you do.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:29 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Ephesians 6:110-11 "A final word, be strong with Lord's mighty power. "Put on all of God's armor so that you will able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the devil".
The helmet protects the mind. You need to fill you mind with the things of God. When you feel overwhelmed and confused by sins appeal, thank God for what He given you, freedom through Jesus Christ. Let the reality of Christ's power lift you up to real victory over sin.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Christina, I agree with all the posters and would just add that it is very hard sometimes to control our thoughts, but in my own case I find that if I turn my thoughts to thoughts of God the bad thoughts go away

Old 08-20-2007, 07:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,606 times
There is also the option of finding an accountability partner. If you have a close friend/family member who you trust and holds to the same values you do, you could confide in them of the sin you are thinking about. Then you have someone to talk to whenever the thoughts surface.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:24 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
For a while now I have imagined, multiple times a day, committing a particular sin. I haven't acted on it. I have been tempted to act on it, but God/fate/willpower has kept me in check. I am Christian, and I have prayed to God that these thoughts will go away but they haven't yet. Am I sinning by thinking about committing this sin so much? This is really worrying me and I would like the opinion of people more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am.
Catholic moral theology (and I imagine a similar view is held by many Christian denominations outside Catholicism) teaches that to DECIDE (will) to commit a sin, but be impeded from carrying it out for whatever reason, makes the individual in question no less guilty of that sin than if he would have been able to do it.

This has to be distinguished from mere temptation, which is not in itself a sin.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:44 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Catholic moral theology (and I imagine a similar view is held by many Christian denominations outside Catholicism) teaches that to DECIDE (will) to commit a sin, but be impeded from carrying it out for whatever reason, makes the individual in question no less guilty of that sin than if he would have been able to do it.

This has to be distinguished from mere temptation, which is not in itself a sin.
Hence my life long fear of the nuns.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Christina, I think we would almost have to know particulars about this persistent temptation that you are struggling with to give very solid advice about this. And rightfully, you may not be comfortable sharing that publicly. In general, I personally don't think temptation is a sin ... unless we deliberately "entertain" thoughts of sin. Sometimes the harder we try not to think about something, the more prevalent it becomes in our minds. For example, tell someone not to dare think of green monkeys. Well, what immediately comes to mind-green monkeys! I do agree with some of the other posters-if it is bothering you this much, maybe you could go to a pastor or some other strong Christian you trust and have relationship with and discuss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality