Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times

Advertisements

I Hear from so many people how time speeds up as you get older. I'm 36 and my peers all talk about stuff from years ago seeming "like it happened yesterday" and many of them feel like they are " running out if time" and that it "goes too fast".

Not me

Things from a few years back seem like they happened eons ago to me. When I think that I potentially have 50+ more years ahead of me, it's overwhelming. Usually, I do the one-day-at-a-time thing, but what gives? Why is time SO torturously slow to me? Does anyone else feel this way?

I want to live a full life and all, but how do I speed things up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I Hear from so many people how time speeds up as you get older. I'm 36 and my peers all talk about stuff from years ago seeming "like it happened yesterday" and many of them feel like they are " running out if time" and that it "goes too fast".

Not me

Things from a few years back seem like they happened eons ago to me. When I think that I potentially have 50+ more years ahead of me, it's overwhelming. Usually, I do the one-day-at-a-time thing, but what gives? Why is time SO torturously slow to me? Does anyone else feel this way?

Simple, you are only 36 and can expect to live another 40 plus years...Come back when you are my age and according to the average life expectancy in my country only have 7 years left.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:

Not me

Sounds like you have got a healthy attitude...evidently you do not sweat the small stuff (I'd bet the farm you forgive others rather easily)...I see no need to change your outlook.

Let today's troubles be enough
and Never go to bed angry...are two basic notion/aids I find quite beneficial for longevity.

Now as for as living a fuller and faster life...your calendar will only be as filled as you will allow it to be(hopefully).

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:

Not me
Yeah! Just wait until you turn 50 pal.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
[/b]Sounds like you have got a healthy attitude...evidently you do not sweat the small stuff (I'd bet the farm you forgive others rather easily)...I see no need to change your outlook.

Let today's troubles be enough
and Never go to bed angry...are two basic notion/aids I find quite beneficial for longevity.

Now as for as living a fuller and faster life...your calendar will only be as filled as you will allow it to be(hopefully).
You pegged me pretty good

Your post helped me to reflect a bit more. I've lived a very diverse and full 36 years...the past is the past to me and the future just a concept. I guess it just overwhelms sometimes

To the other two posters: I apologize if I offended. That was not my intention at all.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:

To the other two posters: I apologize if I offended. That was not my intention at all.
You didn't offend me. I'm just saying that until you get to 50 nothing much happens then suddenly....you need glasses, your hair stops growing out of your head and starts to grow out of your nostrils, you can't remember what you did yesterday never mind last month, your joints start aching, you can't find your shirt, you start complaining about loud music....and above all, you think back on the milestones of your life and Moderator cut: edit say 'was that 30 years ago???'

Last edited by june 7th; 08-01-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
When I was 5 or 6, I remember thinking that it took forever for Saturday to get here.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
When I was 5 or 6, I remember thinking that it took forever for Saturday to get here.
Same here, although once in a great while I'll have a few rare days that seem to nicely linger on and on. For me, a lot of it seems to depend on what I'm doing (such as certain new and novel things) and where I am. Regardless, time seems to fly by a lot faster with age. Now I know what my parents were talking about.

When you're 5 years old, a year is 20 percent of your lifespan at that point so there may be the perception that time is slow. When you're 50, a year is a much shorter period of time in your lifespan, making time seem very short. Perhaps some of it also has to do with realizing that you're getting closer to the end of your life. If a person's lifespan was about 300 years, maybe being 50 or 60 might seem a lot slower, and much faster when you reach 225-250 years of age. I'd also say the physical changes a person experiences as they get older might also contribute to some degree because you can't always do the same kind of things you could when you were in your 20s. It's pretty difficult to not be aware of it.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'd also say the physical changes a person experiences as they get older might also contribute to some degree because you can't always do the same kind of things you could when you were in your 20s. It's pretty difficult to not be aware of it.
I'm still doing the same thing I did when I was 20. It just takes three times longer to do them now. When I bend down to tie my shoe laces I have to think if there is anything else I can do when I'm down there.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:

Not me

Don't rush it, when you reach my age you'd wish time would slow down. It's all a matter of perception......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality