Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,200,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
jazzedforhim wrote:
We strive to be LIKE Christ but no one can live up to the level of perfection OF Christ.
So, if defeat is a given before you even begin, why bother? What's the point?

blessings.....Franco
Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion — it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.--Billy Graham

The Christian faith is meant to be lived moment by moment. It isn't some broad, general outline--it's a long walk with a real Person. Details count: passing thoughts, small sacrifices, a few encouraging words, little acts of kindness, brief victories over nagging sins. --Joni Eareckson Tada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
I Love North Carolina wrote:
The devil wanted to be greater than God, that's why he got thrown out of Heaven.
Why would God feel threatened by something so insignificant? I cannot imagine God being so insecure that he would toss someone out of heaven for something so trivial.

blessings...Franco
Nothing or no one threatens God. It's not trivial. It is impossible to be greater than Holy God.

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Default Why not let it be easy?

jeffcandance wrote:
The Christian struggle is one of constantly resisting the flesh and developing the spirit.
Seems like you assume there HAS to be a struggle. What if that is only a belief and nothing more? What if struggle is totally unnecessary? What if life is designed to be easy and we just haven't allowed it to be so because our belief in struggle gets in the way?

blessings....Franco

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
jazzedforhim wrote:
We strive to be LIKE Christ but no one can live up to the level of perfection OF Christ.
So, if defeat is a given before you even begin, why bother? What's the point?

blessings.....Franco
Just because you are certain of the outcome doesn't mean you don't strive to do your best. Do you play a sport as well as you can? Even though you're pretty much assured you won't go pro?

I probably lean more toward liberal Christianity, but even I believe no one on this Earth will be at Christ's level. But I also don't believe that Jesus doesn't WANT us to be like him. Hope that makes sense.

Do you actually believe at some point you might reach Christ's level Franco? Or 100 people might? Or thousands?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 PM

I Love North Carolina wrote:
It is impossible to be greater than Holy God.
I'm thinking the same way on this, but again I wonder if anyone has ever proven this to be true beyond a shadow of doubt. It could simply be another belief that gets in the way of a greater truth.

blessings....Franco

Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
jeffcandance wrote:
The Christian struggle is one of constantly resisting the flesh and developing the spirit.
Seems like you assume there HAS to be a struggle. What if that is only a belief and nothing more? What if struggle is totally unnecessary? What if life is designed to be easy and we just haven't allowed it to be so because our belief in struggle gets in the way?

blessings....Franco
Ephesians 6-12 "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual host of wickedness in the heavenly places".

We battle against Satan every day, to withstand this attack we must depend on God, out strength comes from HIM!

Old 08-16-2007, 04:05 PM

magellan wrote:
Just because you are certain of the outcome doesn't mean you don't strive to do your best. Do you play a sport as well as you can? Even though you're pretty much assured you won't go pro?
It was stated as a given that no one can reach the level of Christ. The outcome was never in question.

IF I wanted to be a pro in a specific sport and I knew beforehand that I was guaranteed NOT to reach that level, unless I really loved playing the game, I wouldn't waste my time. On the other hand, if I really loved the sport, it wouldn't matter. I guess that is true for the hard-core believers in Christ as saviour. If you really LOVE the effort of striving to be like HIM, knowing that you'll fall short no matter what you do, then by all means...Go For It!

magellan also wrote:
Do you actually believe at some point you might reach Christ's level Franco? Or 100 people might? Or thousands?
Not so sure about myself, but an Emphatic YES that others will!

blessings....Franco

Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
Quote:
jeffcandance wrote:

blessings....Franco
Who ever said that life was easy?

The "struggle" that was mentioned refers to trying to be mroe like Christ. I continue to struggle with this daily because it is not my nature (or anyone else's) to constantly do good. There is always a part of us that wants to do the wrong thing. The longer we deny the sinful desires, the easier it becomes to chose to do the right thing. It definately takes practice.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:12 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,548 times
Quote:
magellan wrote:
It was stated as a given that no one can reach the level of Christ. The outcome was never in question.

IF I wanted to be a pro in a specific sport and I knew beforehand that I was guaranteed NOT to reach that level, unless I really loved playing the game, I wouldn't waste my time. On the other hand, if I really loved the sport, it wouldn't matter. I guess that is true for the hard-core believers in Christ as saviour. If you really LOVE the effort of striving to be like HIM, knowing that you'll fall short no matter what you do, then by all means...Go For It!

magellan also wrote:
Not so sure about myself, but an Emphatic YES that others will!

blessings....Franco
We all fall short of the glory of God. Why? Without a higher example man would think that they can get to heaven of their own effort, which we cannot. It's by Christ's death on the cross that we get to heaven, not by any effort which we strive for here on earth. We strive to do our best, and the more we realize we cannot do it on our own the more we realize we need a Savior to pay the price for that sin. Very simple actually.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:15 PM

dojilynn wrote:
The longer we deny the sinful desires, the easier it becomes to chose to do the right thing. It definately takes practice.
Or we could be like Mae West who said, When I'm faced with choosing between two evils, I always choose the one that feels best.

I know I'm playing the devils advocate here, but I'm having so much fun participating in this thread where there is such strong disagreement with my opinions. I'm gald we are having this discussion, and I sincerely thank everyone for participating. May we all come away from this experience with expanded minds.

blessings....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality