Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Most educated people are skeptical.
Does that mean that most educated people are atheist?
I'm missing your logic.
No, that is like saying all theists and spiritual people are Christians. Most educated people are not skeptical, most educated people believe what they read. Intelligent people, do their own testing and form their own opinions based on their own discoveries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 01:58 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
You believe it, but have you actually done your own experiments or experienced it yourself. If you are simply believing what you read, how does this make you any different than most Christians who believe what they read in the bible?
Yes, you'll find that the mantra of "Question Everything" is somewhat misleading. It's very selective.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Yes, I agree.

Although atheists are skeptical of more than religion.
I know this.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:02 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
No, that is like saying all theists and spiritual people are Christians. Most educated people are not skeptical, most educated people believe what they read. Intelligent people, do their own testing and form their own opinions based on their own discoveries.
On the contrary ALL people are skeptical of some things. Some more so than others. We would be pretty confused if we believed everything we are told or have read, now wouldn't we.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,690 times
The denial of anything beyond our strictly sesnsory-based world is the fullest expression of atheism. Anything beyond pure physics and chemistry.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Yes, you'll find that the mantra of "Question Everything" is somewhat misleading. It's very selective.
That is what I am coming to see on this forum. I strongly believe that if people would actually go out and do their own research and experimentation that their opinions would be different. However, if you go into it completely set on what you are going to find, that is what you will find in most cases.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
So you're saying that atheists are more intelligent than christians.
I'm asking you for your logic, but I see that you are unable to provide it.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that atheists are more intelligent than christians.
I'm asking you for your logic, but I see that you are unable to provide it.
I don't know many atheists or skeptics that actually do their own studies and experiments. So, I would say no. Same goes for most Christians.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:22 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
I don't know many atheists or skeptics that actually do their own studies and experiments. So, I would say no. Same goes for most Christians.
Then what are you trying to say with this thread.
It really makes no sense. You keep moving the target all over the place. Initially you said that "atheists are" ... now you're saying that you don't know many atheists or skeptics...
I'm really terribly confused by your comments.

What are you trying to say?

Old 09-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Then what are you trying to say with this thread.
It really makes no sense. You keep moving the target all over the place. Initially you said that "atheists are" ... now you're saying that you don't know many atheists or skeptics...
I'm really terribly confused by your comments.

What are you trying to say?
I don't know many that do their own studies. I know plenty that say question everything, but when the read say a skeptic magazine, article or book they don't question anything. They buy into what they read and don't do what they tell others to do.

I am well versed in these types of tactics. Skeptics and atheists alike try to discredit the author or posts and books. They do this because they can't do it to their work. You are now trying to discredit my with these tactics. Nice try. Keep trying.. what's next? Pointing out my grammatical errors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality